• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

'73 Bronco Build Thread - Smokey

Casey4wd

Loc.
Austin, Texas
I figured I might as well start a build thread since they are a great way to keep track of progress (or lack there of). For now I am calling it Smokey, since it caught on fire the first time I drove it off the trailer.

The base is a 1973 Bronco, 302 V8, 3-speed OTT, PS.

So far I have done the following:
Tom's power front disc brakes.
New brake lines
Rebuilt rear brakes
WH 1" body lift
Edelbrock 2121 Performer Intake
Edelbrock 1403 Performer Carb
WH Upgrade Alternator
New gas tank and filler hoses

Plans:
3.5" WH Suspension System
33x10.50 BFG (AT or MT)
Twin stick
Family Roll Cage
Custom Bumpers
MAJOR Rust Repair
Paint
New Wiring

Attachments

• EB Project.jpg
    EB Project.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 314
  • 73 EB - First successful drive.JPG
    73 EB - First successful drive.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 346

Bferrari

Welcome to the fun! Looks like you are doing something very similar to my 73. I made it through the rust repair and am getting ready for paint. Keep us posted on your progress. Good luck!

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
Welcome. Looks like you have a pretty good one to start with. Good luck with your build.

OP
OP
C

Casey4wd

Loc.
Austin, Texas
The rust is hidden behind a cheap paint job, so it is very deceptive. I will take some interior pictures and then get your thoughts.

From looking it over, the following are the panels that have rust issues:
- Inner and outer rockers
- lower tailgate rust
- front inner fenders rusted squares
- driver and passenger floor pans
- front driver's side grill has damage from a wreck
- bottom of rear light panels and rear fenders

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks nice. I sure hope you don't finish before me. I'm into it for 3 years now......

OP
OP
C

Casey4wd

Loc.
Austin, Texas
Finally got some time to work on the Bronco on Sunday afternoon. Started working on fabricating a new front bumper to mount my Warn winch on. About half way done with fabrication and then will need a substantial amount of grinding! At least with the grinding I can work on it after my 7 month old boy goes to sleep at night.

I plan to add 2 flush mount LED lights and 2 D-ring shackles in the front. Also will box the backside of the bumper.

Attachments

• IMG_0442.JPG
    IMG_0442.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_0440.JPG
    IMG_0440.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_0438.JPG
    IMG_0438.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_0436.JPG
    IMG_0436.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 230

Hopstr

Contributor
Nice job on the bumper. Looks like you may have done that before.

OP
OP
C

Casey4wd

Loc.
Austin, Texas
Got to spend a little time this weekend working on the bumper for the bronco.

Attachments

• IMG_0590.jpg
    IMG_0590.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_0608.jpg
    IMG_0608.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 183
OP
OP
C

Casey4wd

Loc.
Austin, Texas
Bumper Progress

Got most of the front bumper done this weekend. Will need to clean up a few edges and it is about ready to powder coat.

Attachments

• IMG_0627.jpg
    IMG_0627.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 248

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Nice job on the Bumper. Looks really good. Is there any way to possibly raise it up about an inch in your design of it? I think that it would look better if it were a bit higher. But that is just my .02 for what it is worth. Lookin good though! ;D

OP
OP
C

Casey4wd

Loc.
Austin, Texas
While I am deciding what finish to put on the bumper (and if to cut into it to raise it and match the body line a little better), I went ahead and installed a 3.5" lift. I have the front all installed and working on the back. The install has gone ok, but I have now noticed that the front driveshaft is going to hit my exhaust.

I am searching for a ZF transmission, so I can put the drivetrain all back together and then order new drive shafts. Once the new transmission is in (I have to find one first!) then maybe I can take it to an exhaust shop to have the exhaust re-worked.

I have a set of 33x10.5r15 BFG Muds waiting on me at my local 4WP. Looking forward to seeing what those will look like on it!

Attachments

• Front Lift.jpg
    Front Lift.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 157

EBGeek

Looking good, Casey. That sight looks very familiar to me...my condolences to your knuckles. :)