• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rarest Bronco?

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
My 74 Ranger came with only the rear side marker light chrome bezels. None on the front?? Pretty rare I would say! (Probably built on a Monday! LOL)

kps@dundee.net

this might be a little off target but i am rebuilding a 79. while researching for a replacement door sticker i found marti reports. the report tells me mine was one of 13 made that year with paint/trim package. the truck was already customized when i bought it. is this considered rare? should i restore to oem or just keep it as is? any help will be appreciated

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
In all "Rareness" I would have to say it lies in a handfull of broncos, 1st being El Numero Uno, whereabouts unknown but it is truly #1, then you have my personal favorite which is being cared for by Drew's family and I look forward to seeing it every year at SC... just saying, ;) then you have the last 1 (I am referencing 66-77 models) again whereabouts unknown. Anything that is 1 of 1 is rare in my nooks, even 1 of 100 could easily qualify.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...the report tells me mine was one of 13 made that year with paint/trim package. the truck was already customized when i bought it. is this considered rare? should i restore to oem or just keep it as is? any help will be appreciated

Hey kps, welcome to CB.com.
Being 1 of only 13 certainly qualifies anything as rare, but whether that makes it valuable is up for debate. The '78's and '79's go through cycles of being desired and then ignored.
Whether it's worth restoring or not will depend on how much you have to spend and how much that makes it worth at selling time. Naturally...

Depending on how modified it is then, the cost to restore it sounds like it could easily be more than the value. Right now EB's are hot, and most of us love the '78/'79 rigs, but as for value, it's still relatively low and not considered a collectible. At least not yet.

So up to you. I like the idea of restoring it, especially if it's got those fancy reflective graphics all over it. But a profit? I'm pretty sure you'd end up with a very cool rig, but one that cost you more than you could sell it for, perhaps even at auction. Just like those that spend $100k to have a hot-rod built, only to sell it off for less than 30k if they're lucky. Maybe yours won't be that extreme, especially if you do it yourself, but you get the gist.

Not to be too negative about it, but that's what I see right now. Just last week a super clean original 77 F150 with camper and original everything sold for $27 grand, but that was an exception.
Then again, not many of your style come across the block these days. Maybe by the time you're finished, it would be worth a bundle.
Sounds like a gamble.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great pics Andres! Love that look for some reason. Pretty cool.

Paul

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
this might be a little off target but i am rebuilding a 79. while researching for a replacement door sticker i found marti reports. the report tells me mine was one of 13 made that year with paint/trim package. the truck was already customized when i bought it. is this considered rare? should i restore to oem or just keep it as is? any help will be appreciated

I can't add anything that hasn't already been stated, but this is where I was heading as far as OEM option on the bronco as stated by a Marti Report. My 71' is 1 of 18 that came with the options that it did................I don't think I get any extra $$$ because of it should I sell it :)

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Paul , I heard the one in your dr.way is rare? %)

Why yes, it's the ever allusive "covered Bronco" from when civilization as we know it was heading west.
And in my case, it's still covered...

Westward ho!
image1023 (Large).jpg
Promontory Point (redux)
IMG_0006 (Large).jpg
Death Valley Days (almost there)
image1265 (Large).jpg

Paul

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Cool pix Paul and BTW I like the white windshield frame ;)

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks. I liked it at first too, but have since decided to go with body color when it gets painted. Looks better with the top on than off was the problem. I suppose that won't matter as much if I run with the top on most of the time from now on (the plan) or if I keep the soft top. We will see....

Paul

farzadmip

What about promotional broncos built in 64? Any of those still out there? I would think that would constitute rare and valuable.

tatersalad

Bronco Guru
Anyone remember the roadster that Barnaby Jones drove with a silver interior on the tv show?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks Andrew. That was a fun trip. And proved once again that prepared can be a good thing.
The dual-groove pullies I'd installed to get rid of my squealing belts (from the bigger alternator) paid off indeed when one belt let go (on the way up the mountain to the highest point in the area no less!) and I was able to finish the day on the remaining belt.
Felt good to think I'd been so smart!;D

Of course, being the good ex-Boy Scout that I am, I also had a spare under the seat. But it was still nice to not have to sit on the side of the road and mess with it.

Paul

OP
OP
carter2772

carter2772

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Camano Island, Wa
I think my post got lost at the bottom of the last of the page.... I was wondering about this vin and the rarity of it. I cant find actual numbers of the 289 without ordering a marti report. Anyone know?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I think my post got lost at the bottom of the last of the page.... I was wondering about this vin and the rarity of it. I cant find actual numbers of the 289 without ordering a marti report. Anyone know?

There were only 212 roadsters made in '68. I'm sure not all of them had a 289.