• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

"Festus" build is officially underway!

OP
OP
bigcountry

bigcountry

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Got some parts on order...ordering cam and the rest of the engine parts tomorrow i hope...Getting reading to rebuild the transfer case and set up the twin stick.

OP
OP
bigcountry

bigcountry

Contributor
Bronco Guru
no progress on the bronco itself, but i did get some parts ordered. Ordered the cam shaft Monday and ordered the radiator tonight. I will be ordering the rest of the engine parts tomorrow to build the engine.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Nice work so far Lane. Im looking forward to diggin into the mechanics of mine late this summer. It will be a slow but hopefully steady progress. 2016 will be here before we know it.

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Dont knock it... I prefer SCAT products, but I ordered a stroker kit to build my 347. Runs good too!

Nooooo!!! Not knocking kits, just being noisy as to which kit he was using!!! I think most folks do use a kit, bunch of choices, I believe the Horse has a Lunati kit. I think Lane is using an Eagle kit, with a custom ground cam.;D;D

OP
OP
bigcountry

bigcountry

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nooooo!!! Not knocking kits, just being noisy as to which kit he was using!!! I think most folks do use a kit, bunch of choices, I believe the Horse has a Lunati kit. I think Lane is using an Eagle kit, with a custom ground cam.;D;D

That is correct. Eagle stroker kit with crank, rods, srp forged pistons. Compression should be in the 10.3:1 range. 40 over which will actually make it a 348.

Trick flow heads, edelbrock air gap intake, and custom grind cam from cam motions.

A computer program estimated power to be around 450hp and 460 ftlbs. I was shooting for around 375hp and 400ftlbs so it a little more than i was planning and i doubt it will make that but should be fun regardless. The rpm range with the cam selected should be 1500 to 5500 with it coming on strong at 2000.

thanks for the replies and interest in the build.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
What program are you using? I am not good with those types of things, I am wanting to do a 347 stroker with GT40 Iron heads. I have no clue which intake but I will be running an MSD Atomic or equivalent. Have no clue on cam but was hoping to be 350-400 ish on the HP and TQ. What do you think?

OP
OP
bigcountry

bigcountry

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What program are you using? I am not good with those types of things, I am wanting to do a 347 stroker with GT40 Iron heads. I have no clue which intake but I will be running an MSD Atomic or equivalent. Have no clue on cam but was hoping to be 350-400 ish on the HP and TQ. What do you think?

There are some cam programs you can buy. A free one is cam quest on the comp cam site. It is pretty easy to use. It recommends the best cam from their stock based on your set perimeters.

Your power numbers should be doable with that combo.

agboy91

Loc.
Bishop, GA
M5od yr

Hello, I have been following your build and you do very nice work. I am rebuilding a 72 and am installing a M5OD with a NP205. I see you have the top cover on your trans that positions the shifter farthest back. Can you tell me what model year your trans is out of or did you swap top covers? Also, did you build the spacer or grind the shaft down to get the 205 to mate to the M5? Thanks.

OP
OP
bigcountry

bigcountry

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hello, I have been following your build and you do very nice work. I am rebuilding a 72 and am installing a M5OD with a NP205. I see you have the top cover on your trans that positions the shifter farthest back. Can you tell me what model year your trans is out of or did you swap top covers? Also, did you build the spacer or grind the shaft down to get the 205 to mate to the M5? Thanks.

Thanks for the compliment. My transmission is from a 2004 heritage F150 with a 4.2 six cylinder. I have another transmission and it is from a 2001 and it has the shifter in the same location.

As for the transfercase, I ground the inside of the transmission a little for the bolts on the bearing cover, but am making a 1/4 inch aluminum spacing to go between the two. With the weight of the transfer case I did not want to grind to much on the aluminum transmission for fear of weakening it.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
bigcountry

bigcountry

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well, I have been busy working on other projects (I am doing some work on the house). Anyway, I managed to work on it a little bit this weekend.

I got the engine torn down to take to the machine shop. I am excited about that. Looking forward to getting it together.

I also got the spacer cut out to go between the transfercase and transmission. I still got to do a little fit and finishing on it, but it should work.

Next thing I plan to do is rebuild the transfercase and get it set up for the twinstick shifter.

getting there slowly, but surely.

Attachments

• engine block.jpg
    engine block.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 63
  • transfer case spacer.jpg
    transfer case spacer.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 45

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You don't have that greasy engine block in Moma's kitchen, there do you Big!?!

(Not many people I know have cabinets like that in their shop!)

OP
OP
bigcountry

bigcountry

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You don't have that greasy engine block in Moma's kitchen, there do you Big!?!

(Not many people I know have cabinets like that in their shop!)

Lol....no it is in the shop. It is an old 15 feet long center island from a church kitchen. We built a new social hall and I was able to get the island. It had drawers and cabinets on only one side and it works great in the shop. What can I say, it was free and it works.

OP
OP
bigcountry

bigcountry

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Got to work on Festus some today. Pulled the engine, trans, and transfer case out of the frame. Tore the transfercase down for a rebuild.

the engine is at the machine shop getting built. I hope to have it back next week.