• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rarest Bronco?

Bird Dog 36

Loc.
Brighton
Thanks for rolling out the welcome mat. I appreciate it. So the U152 has the HD package; that’s pretty cool. Odd thing too, that there was an “explorer” badge on the glove box, but after doing some digging, it was more than likely just put there by the previous owner. Also, there are dual shock mounts up front that look pretty stock, was that possible?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No. The closest that would have been to "factory" would have been if the dealer installed it before the first sale. But it was never an option from the factory on EB's. Not until '78 did they start doing that.
Now, maybe someone's got a sales brochure somewhere talking about it, or maybe as a "factory authorized" option, but as far as any of us know they never came off the assembly line like that.

Is yours a very late '71? The Explorer package first showed up in the '72 model year, and we know how much stuff on these rigs got morphed into the production near the end/beginning runs.

Be interested to figure that angle of yours out for sure. But like you said, very likely someone swapped the glovebox or added the badge.

Have you verified that the VIN on the glovebox tag matches the VIN on the frame yet? What about on the body decal, driver's side B-pillar?

Paul

Bird Dog 36

Loc.
Brighton
I did a vin check with the riveted badge on the glove box and the drivers striker post as well. I looked at the additional shock mount again, and sure looks stock, so I guess the Someone did a good job on the install after the fact. Do you know if the original Explorer badge was riveted on, or just double sided tape?, I’ll check mine in the AM. From what I can tell, I couldn’t find anywhere in the vin tag that tells what package the Broncos came with from the dealer; is there a mystical “build sheet” floating under the vinyl floor mat somewhere?

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
The Explorer badge was attached with three pins. In the picture below you can see the location and the three holes. Ranger badges were mounted lower and to the right. You may have a build sheet under the mat. I have never found one but others have found them under the mat around the drivers seat area.
a08c519f2f766e316d043bbdb005926b.jpg

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I did a vin check with the riveted badge on the glove box and the drivers striker post as well. I looked at the additional shock mount again, and sure looks stock, so I guess the Someone did a good job on the install after the fact. Do you know if the original Explorer badge was riveted on, or just double sided tape?, I’ll check mine in the AM. From what I can tell, I couldn’t find anywhere in the vin tag that tells what package the Broncos came with from the dealer; is there a mystical “build sheet” floating under the vinyl floor mat somewhere?

There could be a build sheet, under the seat springs, between the windshield frame and dash and it's been found other places lol. Order a Marti Report and it will tell you everything. What's your body code? On the top line of the badge to the left of the Trans code.

Bird Dog 36

Loc.
Brighton
152U Explorer?

Yep my Explorer badge is mounted with 3 pins; with the outer two pins having cap nuts on them. The body code on the vin tag says 9U. I must say it looks stock and the location is the same as the picture. This is weird. The date code says J41466.

Bird Dog 36

Loc.
Brighton
Slow Leak: I thought that the explorers only came in blue and copper, yet the one in the pic looks black, mine is raven black as well.?

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Slow Leak: I thought that the explorers only came in blue and copper, yet the one in the pic looks black, mine is raven black as well.?

That’s a picture from the Streetside Classic site of the EB from the movie Logan.

It has had several repaints. I checked the color code and it is “D” which is Blue Poly and I found that color in several places under the hood.

As far as I know Blue and Copper were the only colors. What is the color code on your glovebox tag?

Bird Dog 36

Loc.
Brighton
Dash photo:

Attachments

• 87BE03A3-7BCA-4693-8D16-1BAD63BDD531.jpg
    87BE03A3-7BCA-4693-8D16-1BAD63BDD531.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 38
  • E5D52B02-B16E-416B-847E-839281B998DC.jpg
    E5D52B02-B16E-416B-847E-839281B998DC.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 36

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Based on the year, and the color, I think somebody probably stuck that Explorer badge on it. You should order a Marti report....

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Based on the dash alone, it's a very late '72 or later truck. Has the dash light bars of a '74 or later model.
The Explorer emblem may then have come with the dash.
The T-shift transfer case is a late-'72 and earlier thing.

As we've discussed here a few times, there were many colors available for Explorers and not just the two that someone listed somewhere. Not sure where that info was originally printed, but if in a marketing bulletin or flyer, it's just plain inaccurate.
There's a good discussion about it here somewhere, with pics of original Explorers in at least four or five colors. My friend's had two of the "unavailable" colors in a Red and a Tan. Not sure if we've seen a Black one though.

Definitely get a Marti Report if you want to know all about your rig. But I would most definitely check the VIN on the frame to make sure it's the same.
Your parchment floor mat was available on Sports before the Explorer option came out I'm pretty sure.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I forgot to mention that a transition Bronco between the '72 and '73 model years would have had a "P" or a "Q" in the VIN, so that's not it here.
Could be a '70 with a later dash. The warranty tag on the glovebox could have been re-riveted carefully if they had access to the right type (Marti again?) or they simply used the original glovebox on the later dash and installed the Explorer emblem as well.

Again, checking the frame VIN might help to narrow it down.

Paul

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
And 9U wouldn't have been an Explorer interior, or that's not consistent with other Marti's that I've seen for Explorers.

Bird Dog 36

Loc.
Brighton
Thanks guys for all your expertise. So to surmise, I have a ‘70 bronco Sport according to the title and vin plate; I have a ‘73 dash possibly from an Explorer. But the glove box tag seems unaltered, and it matches title. Vin tag on driver’s striker post is almost unreadable, but I think I can make out some of the same numbers. I’ll try to see if I can check out the frame this weekend. One last odd thing, my dash seems to be missing the brake warning light, or they put the lighter in that hole, and there wasn’t a lighter. Shouldn’t the 72-73 dash have both?

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
I'll go ahead and say that that data tag has been swapped to that glovebox door. That is a '74-'77 Dash, so it could have had a dash swap. Or, it could be titled under a different VIN.

As far as Explorer Colors, there were several besides blue and copper. And yes, there has been a black '73 Explorer on this site with orange interior years ago.

Standard Explorer Colors:

Durango Tan
Hot Ginger Metallic
Grabber Blue
Burnt Orange
Viking Red
Brook Blue Metallic
Copper
Blue Metallic

On top of those, I've seen several others that were not standard color, but still had Explorer package. My Dad has a Hatteras Green '76 Explorer.