• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Frame Painting/Coating

OP
OP
C

callmemarsh

I did KBS cavity coater, interesting stuff. I think it will hold up well.

Yeah, the only reason I'm considering it is because we use a similar product at work for an "Undercarriage Corrosion Prevention" recall that Hyundai released. However, I like the thought of an actual paint that cures.

bknbronco, I definitely appreciate the suggestion. To be honest I am leaning towards that solution. The financier already balked at the $35 dollar can of Internal Frame paint hahaha. But that's probably because we just dropped 17k on the suspension, axles and drivetrain lol

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, the only reason I'm considering it is because we use a similar product at work for an "Undercarriage Corrosion Prevention" recall that Hyundai released. However, I like the thought of an actual paint that cures.

bknbronco, I definitely appreciate the suggestion. To be honest I am leaning towards that solution. The financier already balked at the $35 dollar can of Internal Frame paint hahaha. But that's probably because we just dropped 17k on the suspension, axles and drivetrain lol

It seems like a hybrid of paint and wax. Not really either.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
KBS isn't UV stable. But how much sun does your frame actually get? I left it alone on my frame, for the bumpers I top coated it with a paint that's UV friendly.

OP
OP
C

callmemarsh

Decided to go ahead and take it all the way down. Took about 18 hours last weekend with a few grinding and flap wheels.

Got the go ahead and ordered the KBS Coatings All-In-One Chassis Kit. Went with the gloss black top coat. I just can't get over these shiny frames!

I think I still have a ways to go before it's completely ready. Need to weld on some flanges, susp mounts/brackets, clean off the top and use paint stripper on a few small areas I couldn't get with the angle grinder. What do y'all think?

Also, I think I'm going to flip it over and do it upside down. After all you never see the top right?

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Decided to go ahead and take it all the way down. Took about 18 hours last weekend with a few grinding and flap wheels.

Got the go ahead and ordered the KBS Coatings All-In-One Chassis Kit. Went with the gloss black top coat. I just can't get over these shiny frames!

I think I still have a ways to go before it's completely ready. Need to weld on some flanges, susp mounts/brackets, clean off the top and use paint stripper on a few small areas I couldn't get with the angle grinder. What do y'all think?

Also, I think I'm going to flip it over and do it upside down. After all you never see the top right?

If I could go back in time I would have had my frame galvanized. If you have the money go for it. Piece of mind and amazing rust protection.

Jluck

FWIW, You can usually find a local shop to blast a frame for a couple hundred bucks.... I know that's a moot point now but others in the same situation, unless 18 hours of your time is worth less than a couple hundo.

Or..
Have it powder coated for 500 and the sandblast is included, netting a few hundred for a powder coating job.

OP
OP
C

callmemarsh

FWIW, You can usually find a local shop to blast a frame for a couple hundred bucks.... I know that's a moot point now but others in the same situation, unless 18 hours of your time is worth less than a couple hundo.

Or..
Have it powder coated for 500 and the sandblast is included, netting a few hundred for a powder coating job.

I actually emailed a couple companies today about dustless blasting. Seeing if I can get lucky with a deal on an hour or something to be absolutely sure about my metal prep.

I would love to powder coat it. The problem is it's not my money I'm spending haha. Trust me, at this point I had to make a good case for the $90 KBS Coating over rattle cans.

I don't mind the extra work. It keeps me out of trouble!

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
It would make a nice surface to apply your KBS coating. I prefer to use that or POR rather than powder coating. It looks real nice and is easy to touch up later if you need to. Ken

OP
OP
C

callmemarsh

It would make a nice surface to apply your KBS coating. I prefer to use that or POR rather than powder coating. It looks real nice and is easy to touch up later if you need to. Ken

I know. I really miss my sandblaster from home. No way I could use it in the one car driveway of a town house haha.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Were you able to find your VINs?

I wanted to do the three step kbs system but I didn’t have all the time to take care of myself. Be sure to have lots of newspaper underneath during the painting process bc I’ve heard that stuff won’t come off at all.

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I still had one coat to go in this pic but I didn't get too much on the floor. Probably got more on me than the floor. Takes about 2 weeks for it to come off skin.

inOhbrIMLFwDg0NnQPPGDfOhiFwXwfBfTPb8d-yAgnrBb78MEHrcJtkXlvWKcQJ93Uo2cBBsyZ9nuBcd6Ny3ImqAoQhH4BYiSGlvlNXTGiUwWyRh7NbpI5HVQnYH9E8ZxpeHrgTXJfFIGVqNEIuI1fydeiW8MUrjixK2Yb_R8DKS_0zZcH9dOf0dvrg_JgxCkr8Om303feBkcXXNlIH5uco1DWfVL9KaH4wiJfVpWjWHtMCOBrYwo-yrGargel_aKORpgXqoPskne95-fYE8ohyv8trOXC3xkOg1lhyhnAPimARt8Z0XwELs80Win1SYM6dCsuYSovbiDI6PGVzaw__z6V5NyV4JFnEVTQtnIcmPV0vW_z6uETMaHsZC-0snx65Me7HT3c8Rgu4rthq5Nl1dbtCSx9hj4bj6jz4GmAYYH7plX4iyxzK2zpeYdFcEa9gzJSWkgC6tlOzgg_7il7NrRqXGQfbLTT_WaynSWJPqrQZbBtEmOcbiqdPf89X-wIpauL0oKKvZVKyCEDCRC1kVqu4Z6NCFj9JI4Cfs6M4a6kk4_4ct461qgPKih5uMKe2HIw8uZw1VrFv-_C6--H2CytsEiLvzSzTWmp09=w1634-h919-no

OP
OP
C

callmemarsh

Were you able to find your VINs?

I wanted to do the three step kbs system but I didn’t have all the time to take care of myself. Be sure to have lots of newspaper underneath during the painting process bc I’ve heard that stuff won’t come off at all.

I located what appears to be the VIN on the passenger side top frame rail. I can't make it out yet, but I'm gonna go at it lightly with a wire wheel. There was also a stamping on the bottom of the front crossmember too. I meant to take a picture but forgot.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
There’s a vin towards the back, same side but before the rear crossmember. I managed to save both my VINs during the galvanized coat and the final powdercoat. I’ll eventually spray some epoxy paint over it that will allow the vin to show through.

By the way, the frames looks awesome so far!
Matt

OP
OP
C

callmemarsh

There’s a vin towards the back, same side but before the rear crossmember. I managed to save both my VINs during the galvanized coat and the final powdercoat. I’ll eventually spray some epoxy paint over it that will allow the vin to show through.

By the way, the frames looks awesome so far!
Matt

Good to know! I'm working on the top of the frame tomorrow so I'll let you guys know what I can find!

Thanks!