• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Heater core question

Tugross302

Dumb question. I haven’t looked too hard yet but do I have to remove the whole heater box to change heater core? I have antifreeze dripping. ‘77 model with all original stuff. Thanks in advance

75MIKE

Loc.
NE Washington
'fraid so.

Get a new seal kit for the heater box coming before you open it up. As good a time as any to put new seals and gaskets in.

Jaxgtc

The hardest part is reconnecting the cables that run to the dash. Otherwise it is not that difficult. When I had mine out a couple of years ago I was able to go over the metal parts with some rustoleum. I found that 3m adhesive spray worked great on the foam that goes on the flapper.

OP
OP
Tugross302

Tugross302

Drain antifreeze. Unhook heater hoses on the firewall. Unhook cables. Unhook wires to the blower. Then just the four nuts on the firewall holds the box in? Oh. Battery cable first. Am I forgetting anything? I think I changed one in 1985.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Might need to take note of how that clip goes on too.

Attachments

• htrclip.jpg
    htrclip.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 72

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
I had the heater box out a few months ago. It's really not that bad other than all of the stuff is hard to reach. I didn't drain the radiator, I just disconnected the hoses and pointed them upward. I pulled the ashtray, the ashtray bracket and radio. This made it easier to remove and reinstall the cables.

66broncoCT

Contributor
Loc.
Torrington, CT
Thanks for the advice but I never use the heater anyway and I want to keep it all original. 18000 miles on it. Maybe on my ‘76 I can go with the upgrade

If you're never going to use the heater you can just disconnect the hoses from the heater core and loop them together. No more leaking.

OP
OP
Tugross302

Tugross302

Thanks guys. I got the box out last night. Waiting for my new heater core and seal kit before I open it up. Don’t want to forget how it goes back together.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
hardest thing for me to reach was the one damn screw on top.. ugh..

gooch66

Loc.
Germantown, TN
Last weekend I completely overhauled my heater box with new foam, seals, heater motor, and heater core. The hardest part was connecting the cables to the arms that open and close the dampers in the heater box. I found out the cable that opens and closes the heater valve was too short. If I re-plumb the heater hoses it may work. I found a universal cable to make do for now. With our last cold snap it has been nice to have a working heater.