• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Welder advice

redfishtony

Loc.
Thomasville GA
I would suggest he Miller 210. We use ours in the shop, on the service truck and anywhere you can have a generator. It will weld whatever you need to and also has a spool gun so you can weld aluminum. If its out of you budget I would suggest maybe looking for a used one or just wait until you can make the purchase. You wont be unhappy.

1975SPORT

Loc.
Hood River, Oregon
Check out your local craigslist for used welders at that price. Most probably have little use in the category your looking. Plus they may already have the gas bottles. Those are gonna cost you some cash too depending on what size you buy. Flux core is fine but having gas does a much nicer job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catfan

Contributor
Most welding supply places sell a farm tank, about 140.00 filled.
The're about half the size of the big tanks but will last a long time.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Most welding supply places sell a farm tank, about 140.00 filled.
The're about half the size of the big tanks but will last a long time.
that's what our local charges. I got the Hobart 190 and very happy with it

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
One of these days would like to add one to the tools list...

Rocko1012

Just got the Hobart 140, will be getting gas bottle on Monday and begin using it on sheet metal. Was using HF flux cor machine only. I kept blowing holes in patches. Hope new machine helps me a better welder, I need all the help I can get.

gooch66

Loc.
Germantown, TN
I have the Hobart 140 and started out with the flux core and went to the shielding gas. I am no welder but I can make some pretty goods beads after lots of practice. I have made a light bar for my bumper and put I have put in a number of patch panels. I like this welder a lot because it runs on 110, easy to use and the setting grid gets you pretty close and you can tweak it from there.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Another vote for Hobart as a good bang for your buck..
Been using a Hobart 187 for about 7 years now.
Love it.

Northen Tool purchased here as well.
Nice to have a Northern Tool here in town.

A buddy of mine just spent $600+ on a "Vulcan?" welder from Harbor Freight. He is very pleased with it apparently. I have not put my hands on it yet but he says it feels completely different than "typical" Harbor Freight welders, ...he's had a few of "those".

labuski

A buddy of mine just spent $600+ on a "Vulcan?" welder from Harbor Freight. He is very pleased with it apparently. I have not put my hands on it yet but he says it feels completely different than "typical" Harbor Freight welders, ...he's had a few of "those".

i've read a ton of reviews and am seriously thinking about the hf vulcan omnipro 220 when it goes on sale at 729 again. several youtube reviews put it up against miller mm200 with similar performance. it seems the worst part is their auto settings but if you play with it they are very good welders.