• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Which bumper set up should I use?

Mtymse63

Still working on the 1974 barn find and was able to find the original build sheet under the vinyl mat - The build sheet says it came with chrome bumpers. I bought the Bronco with the pictured bumpers which include driver side internal levers/knobs for the winch. Decent after market bumpers but were probably a dealer installed option.

I know "it's mine" and ultimately my decision but I would be curious to know what others think. I will not be driving this in the mud nor any condition which I will need to pull myself or anyone else out of a ditch. Not planning on selling but I would assume original bumpers might be best for value?

Would love to here your thoughts and opinions.

Attachments

• IMG_0385.jpg
    IMG_0385.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0380.jpg
    IMG_0380.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 151

toddsrods

I vote chrome. hard to beat the stock look if you don't plan on beating on it.

Bogar

I'm a big fan of the stock chrome look. My bronco currently has old tube prerunner type bumpers installed, but I have new chrome bumpers in the boxes waiting to be installed.

gavindg

Loc.
Westlake Village
If your keeping chrome or updating chrome in other areas, i vote chrome.
Otherwise you could paint them to match the other trim finishes

Nice find BTW!

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nice, and welcome! That Bronco will like getting that weight off it's nose too.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
The saying "Chrome won't get you home!" is factual in this case! And the bumpers and winch are a very cool period correct look if you were going for that.

That said, I vote for chrome too!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
dang, great minds think alike.. Chrome that thing :)

75MIKE

Loc.
NE Washington
If it was the original Warn, 3 piece winch bumper and the control cord 8724 I might have voted to have that chromed.

Since it looks to be kind of a homemade, heavy bumper and the controls are the manual pull type, I'll vote original chrome bumpers, as well.

The pull slide type cables were famous for getting rusty and not working when you needed them, plus the braking system was pretty crude on the early winches.

OP
OP
Mtymse63

Mtymse63

Looks like chrome is the look of choice! I was able to track down a couple of OEM chrome bumpers and looks like I'll be replacing the winch set up. Thanks for the input ;D