• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

66 carb rebuild

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
It is metal to metal..I talked to Mikes and they said they had the bushings, just needed to know the size. I also called and talked to UREMCO and they said they would rebuild the carb and fix the throttle shaft issue for 185.00... sound like a decent deal?
My shop guy said he could do it if I got him the bushing and the correct size bit to ream it with... Im not certain on what is the best chance to get it right, and not have to redo anything.

I'll sell you my 1100 I bought from Summit if you like. Bought in Sep 2016, ran for a few months then removed it to test 2 Holley 1940's that I rebuilt and just never put it back on. It has been in a big Ziploc bag the whole time so I bet it would fire right up.

WHENEVER I get my 66 back from the body man I'll be installing 3 Holleys ;D so I don't need it -Jeff

hucklburry rev2

I saw someone put a Fitech on I think a 200 six, so there is always that option, I'm probably 3 years away from doing something like that....

OP
OP
skinner

skinner

Contributor
now that sounds interesting.. i love the little six.. that would be a wild option...

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
There she be, I’ll get her out to ya tomorrow Jason

Take care -jeff

Attachments

• 99FB0E89-DF0D-408F-A8B7-92CB93C7A841.jpg
    99FB0E89-DF0D-408F-A8B7-92CB93C7A841.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 35

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
OK That great.. I believe you've got a great carb there. You should be fixed up. But I want to add a few more statements.
1st ... shaft bushings ... I don't feel your clear on them. You don't just get a drill bit & poke a new hole & put in a bushing .
... I've not done this But I'll say .. the body has to be chucked up in a lathe & then ...NUMBERED BITS are drill thru the base body . & Then a piece of bushing Brass is pushed inside. & Your shaft is the pushed back inside the bushing . Of course if the shaft is worn smaller in the middle than on the ends . YOU NEED A NEW SHAFT.
& tHOSE LITTLE BITTY SCREWS THAT go thru the shaft & hold your butterflies down ... I'll just say all but one of them will twist off. SO I'm saying normal man can't do bushing ..
.............& My 2nd thought is .. TODAY I went by the Ford house & Spoke to the local old guy GENIUS . HE'S Still working at about 80+ & He still drives a 66 Mustang fastback .. He bought it new. It has over 400K on it.
I mixed the paint BRONZE for it twice.
.... today ..He was busy . This is a Classic story.. But when I walked in ... He stopped what he was doing. Stood up & shock my hand . What can I do for you .. I said Mr Jeff .. 20+ years ago you told me... Every one around stopped to listen.
...I explained to him He'd told me about the power valve .. I described your situation .. He said .. ''I don't think that's his problem. He has a vacuum leak.
SO then he understands it's the 66 carb. Jeff said .. Tell him to check the little Welch plug on the top of the carb.. It'll leak also. Then he says if it's not a Show car for points. Tell him to just put some JBWeld on top of it to seal it up.
He say If you have to get back into it .. You can after some effort.
.. It was neat to see everyone stop to see what they could learn . We shock hand & I left. Man Mr Jeff is a Special GUY..
......... SO I believe your fixed up .

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Good story Pa yes it is an endless cycle it seems, when you’re young you don’t wanna listen to nobody and when you get older you try your best to tell the young’uns If they’d just listen they’d be ahead of the game.

My dad is gone now but he was a Marine then an Army Captain of a Green Beret unit in Viet Nam they even wrote a book about a battle he was in, but he never spoke a word about it...but man he knew how to do anything and I have always kicked myself for not spending more time with him I could’ve learned a lot of stuff a lot earlier than I did

OP
OP
skinner

skinner

Contributor
PaPITT.. i agree.. its all way over my head and as i read about the stuff yall have been helping me with I realized that a lot goes into the shaft rebuild.. i knew it had to be done at a shop...

I'll pass this new info onto my shop guy....

Best part is, i now have a good carb to use, thanks to 1strodeo and if this fix you mentiooned work, i have a good carb for my 66 roadster now!!. I think with all this help I am sitting on a win win situation..

I tell my youth group all the time at church to take time to listen to those that give you wisdom and advice..

Cant thank y'all enough gentlemen.. I can promise this young man is listening to wisdom...

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Doggone it, I left it at the house.

I get home at 4 I'll take it straight to the post office, it's already boxed up, I'm hoping you'll have it by Saturday

Jeff

OP
OP
skinner

skinner

Contributor
No worries... all is good.... still lots faster than any alternative... thanks again for all the help from each one of you!

OP
OP
skinner

skinner

Contributor
ME TOO!! Ill keep y'all posted.. Im exited over this small, but wonderful blessing.. Have a great weekend Gentlemen. God Bless...