• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New to forum, looking to purchase a bronco

Wolverine

I am new to the forum, starting my research to purchase a bronco. Owned a 1976 (pics in garage), but sold (mistake) in 1986 (yes I am that old). Looking for guidance, but don't want to bog down the group. Is there a specific thread or section I should connect to? Or, would anyone be interested in 'mentoring' me through this process?

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
welcome to the site.
the classifieds would be a good place to start.
your budget? any particulars you are looking for?

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Welcome aboard. Start with your location. What is your budget? Prices vary all over the country. Shipping one from one of the drier climates is definitely a plus. I don't think there is a particular thread that sums it up, more of a reading through lots of threads scenario.

If you have some particular questions I am sure many here would be happy to assist. If you come across something you like many times you can find a local forum member that will go look at it for you or with you.

Good luck with the search.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, think about what you want. Stock, restomod, project, etc. and as mentioned, scope out what is for sale from the forum. Good luck

OP
OP
Wolverine

Wolverine

Nick, thanks for the greeting. Wants; 75% or more restored or complete. Not looking for a full time project. 75% street, with 25% off road capability. Rugged look but not a rock climber. I have a few URL sites (sales) but the engine choices are throwing me. 302, 347, 351, 390, 392. I get the 302 is the original, but would a 351 lower the value, is the 390 too heavy (front end). Thats just the start, need an education (101 course or website). Any ideas. Budget $25k (give or take) time frame spring/summer.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Where are you located, some places are better than others for Bronco hunting? Rust is the single biggest issue. Engine choice is all over the place, 302/351 based motors including the stroked motors are good choices. I would skip the 6 cylinders, 390s, or 460s.

Best advice is to avoid the dealers, scammers and read lots and lots of classic bronco posts to get up to speed.

69broncofun

Bronco Guru
Welcome. People seem to find some good Broncos on the for sale thread on here. Good luck.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nick, thanks for the greeting. Wants; 75% or more restored or complete. Not looking for a full time project. 75% street, with 25% off road capability. Rugged look but not a rock climber. I have a few URL sites (sales) but the engine choices are throwing me. 302, 347, 351, 390, 392. I get the 302 is the original, but would a 351 lower the value, is the 390 too heavy (front end). Thats just the start, need an education (101 course or website). Any ideas. Budget $25k (give or take) time frame spring/summer.

Welcome! The most popular engines are 302, 302 stroked to 331 or 347, 351, 351 stroked to various sizes. If its not completely stock, I don't think a 302 stroked, or a 351/stroked will hurt the value and will probably improve it.

There's raging debates about cooling a 351 but many many people here run them so I don't think it's as big an issue as people make it out to be. The motor is a decision, but not as big a decision as the whole drivetrain. A 302 with 3.08 gears, 3 speed manual and 35 inch tires will be a dog. A 302 with 4:11 gears, 3 speed, and 33 inch tires will be fine. Get my drift?

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

Welcome aboard.. at that budget, you should be able to find a very capable, nice rig for your purposes..

do some searches on specific questions you have and guarantee it's been asked and discussed. See what the experience of others has been

Good luck

Master Chief

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Your Wolverine name suggest that you may be in Michigan. If so, check out Jeff's Bronco Graveyard (JBG) located in Brighton. They have a website and classified listing. I purchased mine through that site from a guy in Cadillac back in '05.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
One big issue that has come up since you bailed is the price of body work and paint. It has quadrupled in cost from 1986. Engine and driveline is much cheaper and easier for most owners.

With the uptick in value there are allot more trucks with beauty treatments out there but pigs under the skirts. Gotta look deeper than the shine of the shell.

OP
OP
Wolverine

Wolverine

Hombres: Thank you for the replies. I grew up & lived in Michigan when I owned the bronco (80's), now live in Houston, Texas (30 years). For the right truck, I will travel to purchase. As y'all suggest, I will do my homework/research then reach out to y'all for more guidance. As an starter here are (2) for sale that caught my eye. Based on my goals (listed above), are these examples of equipped well, worth the asking price?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-Ford-...ash=item284bd68a05:g:-8MAAOSw-jFaS8K6&vxp=mtr

www.4-wheelclassics.com/vehicles/60/1970-ford-bronco

Tugross302

research the sellers as much as you can. This forum is a great place to start. Also, I go look in person. I’ve driven a lot of miles to look at Broncos that looked great on the computer but I turned and went home empty handed most times.

1971lubr

Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
If I was a serious buyer these days I would only look in the classifieds here, you'll know exactly what you are getting in the end.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Horrible, horrible history with the company listing the first one.

Never heard of the second, looks like a quick repaint and not much else.

Again, generally avoid all dealers is a much safer bet. Get one somebody has for years, well loved and sorted out.

Bonefizz

Contributor
Loc.
The poor house
Hey, my neighbor owned that gray two-toned one for a while. It's a nice truck, not sure why he sold it. Welcome, good luck!

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Horrible, horrible history with the company listing the first one.

Never heard of the second, looks like a quick repaint and not much else.

Again, generally avoid all dealers is a much safer bet. Get one somebody has for years, well loved and sorted out.

Good advise right there /\/\

STalon89

I would wait until BajaFresh has a truck you like. I have bought 2 from Chris now, at a fair price, with no surprises. Keep your eye on the for sale by member page.

OP
OP
Wolverine

Wolverine

Thanks for the replies. I'll start doing the homework and then reach back out. I plan on joining the Texas (Lonestar) Bronco club, perhaps they can also assist. If you hear of a classic bronco, for sale in your area, feel free to let me know. Wants; 75% or more restored or complete. Not looking for a full time project. 75% street, with 25% off road capability. Rugged look but not a rock climber.