• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

The Duck Build.

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
They sure do make this stuff look fast and easy on TV....
/QUOTE]

Ha! This is the fast and easy part! Wait until you start fixing everything and then put it back together!

Looks like you're off to a great start. Will enjoy watching your progress.

FBSixtyEight

Loc.
Oley, PA
This looks almost exactly like our build, same rust and everything, just ours is an inline 6 instead of a v8. Good luck, and I hope you have a good supplier for welding wire! :)
ata8e7u6.jpg

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
It's official, "The Duck" restoration has finally begun!

I got a nice surprise today as Andy (Blue71) came up to help and with his help we got a lot accomplished. With as well everything else came off the bronco, if you would have told me yesterday the front fenders would take hours to get off I would have said your crazy. All of the bolt clips that hold the grill on broke, so I sped things up by taking a cut off wheel and cut the grill shell lip off and then took the hot wrench and washed the rusted mess off. I thought to myself that all I read about getting the grill off and since I knew mine was toast, except it will be made into garage art in the future, that I made quick work of it. Then came the fenders.... Of coarse all of the bolts that were easy to get to came out, all others, not so much. The three bolts that run down behind the core support, the clips broke just as the grill did so out came the hot wrench and I melted the heads off. I had to do the same for the bolt at the windshield frame. The 3 big Phillips screws would not budge and my door posts appear to be in good shape and he suggested drilling the heads off then drill out the remainder. Just before I gave in, I tried one more thing, the fire wrench. Andy had tried heating them on other broncos with MAP gas but it never worked. My fire wrench got them blaze orange hot, we let them cool to where they were no longer glowing and tried the big screwdriver one more time with amazing success. I think someone in ETN will be adding a set of torches to his Christmas wish list. Lol.

Then we moved on to removing the steering column, wire harness and anything else that would let the dash come out. Long story short, the day went great and the old girl lost more weight. I have the engine coolant to drain, the heater box to remove and the pedals to take off and the body is ready to come off. Of coarse I have to get the body mount bolts out and my steel to brace the tub won't be here till Wednesday. Lots to do but I plan on pulling the tub next weekend and getting it ready to go to the media blaster. So much to do and by my budget and funds availability I am hoping to get this done and debut it at SC 2017. We will see how that goes.

My surprise help for the day:
4y4u4y6e.jpg

na7ydyny.jpg

guzupatu.jpg

pupu4e8u.jpg

nyva9u8u.jpg

vu8uju9e.jpg

A trick that we are using from our boat building days, you can see where we took measurements and I drew arrows at the measure point. I'm going to take a 1/8" drill bit and drill a hole at each measurement point so when I get it blasted, my reference points are still marked. Then when I'm done with panel replacement I can weld the holes shut and move on to finishing the body for paint. We measured from the front edge if the striker post to the center of the fender mounting holes.
unudy5uz.jpg

3u8ybu3a.jpg

a3y3y3ah.jpg

ajy2yden.jpg

ty5a2amy.jpg

And to think my bronco could be reduced to bins and ziplock bags...
vagapete.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
I posted pics and added them to the prior post. Today I cleaned things up, removed the pedals and started removing the rusted floor pans. I also removed 4 of the body mount bolts. Come Wednesday, I will be bracing the tub and getting the frame on rollers. The body will be taken to get media blasted and while I wait for it to return I will drop the running gear, pull the motor and pressure wash the frame. I'm going to do all panel work on the frame so I know it will fit like a glove. I know the bronco was hit in the right front corner at some time but it didn't look too bad. I'm going to take some careful measurements and if I have concerns if the frame being bent, I will take it to get it straightened. I'm pretty certain all is ok but better to find out now rather than later. The bronco had a serious lean to it and I haven't found anything wrong yet. There are no signs of the front end being removed but it could be a bad spring, rotten C bushings etc. Any thoughts or ideas will be appreciated.

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
It's official, "The Duck" restoration has finally begun!

All I did today was drain the coolant. This came in as well...

2ebuzuza.jpg

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
Congrats on being able to start her. Looking for ward to your progress. Keep positive, and give her some space when YOU need it. Labeling everything is real important.

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Right now my plan of attack is getting the body done first and complete paint wise. I am going to build a rotisserie and then when it's done, I can store it against the wall under blankets just to keep that visual reference right in the shop and push of getting her done. I think my largest expense will be in the drivetrain and that can be broke up into many small projects. I know in reading through many builds that stall out it seems to be at the point they are so close but look
at the daunting task of bodywork and paint and I think that is easy to let it beat you at that point. I know I will only be able to progress as my funds will allow and that has built in separation time since I will have to wait. I also do not want to build the motor to have it sit for months and even years before it is fired up. I hope doing the body first, followed by frame, suspension, gears and lockers, steering linkage, PS box, transmission, driveline, fuel system, brakes and plumbing then the motor. Once I have bought and paid for all of that, then I can marry the tub to the frame and start more small projects but having it sit at that point looking like a bronco again should be a good boost for me to wrap it up.

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
T Minus 24 hours...

Well my steel came in yesterday and I built my frame cart ends. A big thanks to Nick for getting me the dimensions he uses for his restorations. Its nice to be able to move it wherever I want in my shop now. Tonight I braced the tub and built lift points. Please take a look at my pics and let me know if anyone thinks I should add more bracing to lift or if I am good to go. I still have a few things to strip off of it tomorrow before I have separation. Once its off, I will schedule my soda blaster to come in and get her stripped. Besides getting the tub off, I might not do much else to her this weekend... yeah right! LOL

ga3e9a8e.jpg

u3a4ady4.jpg

a9ydytyp.jpg

4utaseta.jpg

yva5e4y4.jpg

8yraqy7u.jpg

tebe9u4u.jpg

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
T Minus 24 hours...

We have lift off! All but 1 body bolt came out with little effort. Now to get the blasters next available spot!

e4u5yjug.jpg

jysu3ava.jpg

nurajy8y.jpg

nada2yny.jpg

u2e7uta4.jpg

e6ypada3.jpg

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Separation Anxiety

Jackpot! It only took me an hour to find it but the best part is it matches. Now I can sleep at night.

a8ada4e4.jpg

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
For the first time (DO NOT SHOOT ME FOR SAYING THIS) Monday cannot get here quick enough and it is still Friday. This bronco addiction I seem to be suffering from is exciting! Monday she has a date with the blaster!

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Separation Anxiety

Parade Rest! To think 15,151 days ago she was assembled and today, 41 years later I have taken her apart. To think of what her re-birth will hold, she will have the fight of a teenager, the beauty of a young lady and the character of a seasoned warrior. Yeah, this bronco addiction is freaking awesome!

yqesa7eq.jpg

3u3e8ype.jpg

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Separation Anxiety

Went and visited Andy (Blue71) today and look what jumped into the bed of my truck.

tete7a4u.jpg

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Didnt get to do much this weekend besides pull the riveted trim holders and some misc. odds and ends. Awaiting the big day tomorrow to see what I really have. Time for my tub to get nekked!

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
On the drivers floor it was the aux fuel tank. But that will all change very soon.

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Today has been a long day but things are looking better. The blaster got the top, lift gate, hood, doors and fenders stripped and they look pretty good.

uqapaguj.jpg

6ytupy6a.jpg

vy4u2upu.jpg

a4u8use9.jpg

sedety7a.jpg

u9evyma5.jpg

4avy4yju.jpg

jamu5a7e.jpg

ahynaman.jpg

ubemy7ud.jpg

ru9yny9y.jpg

3uduzyzu.jpg

e6y5epat.jpg

nu2ehypu.jpg

negavabe.jpg

evaqe2ez.jpg

7egu9aja.jpg

e8e7u9ub.jpg

e6u5ugy8.jpg

reynard101

Bronco Guru
Blasted metal looks good. If mine had more good exterior metal I would have blasted (or dipped) mine.

Great job so far. The fast pace is awesome!