• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ben's 73 Build Thread

Bferrari

Well, it's finally time to start the build on the 73. What I have is a very solid 73, 302 2V, C4 automatic with manual steering and manual drum brakes. My objective is to build this into a functional and reliable vehicle that will tote the family around the mountains during our hunting and camping adventures. On the flip side of the coin, it needs to be easy to drive, have creature comforts (as in air conditioning) and definitely needs the 'ugly' knocked off if it to make my wife happy and keep her from locking up the check book.

I have spent countless hours reading and researching all that I can find early bronco related, trying to compose a plan to transform the Bronco into our perfect family off-road vehicle. The Classic Bronco site has been such a great resource and the articles and threads posted by the members have given great enlightenment to all of the modifications I want to make. Needless to say, seeing some of the member's rides have definitely gotten the creative juices flowing.

As referenced above, I am starting with a 73, 302 and C4 setup. I have also purchased a 1990 Lincoln MarkVIII with the 5.0 HO and AOD transmission. It is a complete running car however the transmission is smoked. I also have a 99 Explorer 4R70W, the AA adaptor kit to D20 and have ordered a Baumann Controller (special thanks to price209 who set up the Mass Buy). With that said, here is a recap of what I am going to try to do:

1. 5.0 conversion with 4R70W trans using my original D20 TC.
2. Would like to install a 3.5" SL and 1" BL.
3. Thinking of running 4.56 gears with 33" tires.
4. Want to upgrade the alternator to 3G to accommodate winch and off road lights.
5. Install power steering and power disk brakes.
6. Install a 'family' style roll cage which will work using the hard top.
7. Electric windshield wiper motors.
8. Install Air Conditioning
9. Install a winch front bumper and rear bumper that holds spare tire, cooler and jerry can.
10. Install a new tilt column
11. Install custom seats and center console (I really like the looks of the complete custom seat setup from Tom's).

With that said, I do have a few questions regarding the plans for my build. I am also interested in hearing from you all regarding similar items that you have done, do's and don'ts, as well as any recommendations and 'trade secrets' you are willing to share.

Some of my questions are as follows:
1. I have read several threads for the 5.0 swap. I intend on using the stock stuff from the lincoln. What items on this motor can be eliminated (i.e. smog pump, extra sensors??) and not hurt the performance of the motor? What is the benefit/detriment to running the EGR? When I install A/C, do I use the existing compressor? Do you need to run a CAT with this setup? Will I need to have a custom chip to run the computer (I think it's an A9L)? Plan on running the stock wiring harness and stripping the extra wires out myself.
2. What is the best setup for radiator and fan for the 5.0 conversion? Use electric fans?
3. Where do I find a 3G alternator that will fit my stock set-up?
4. For the 4R70W w/D20 setup, it is imperative to run twin sticks? What is the benefit to twin sticks, my stock setup has a J shifter.
5. Should I change anything with the D20 (other than replace bearings) while I have it out?
6. Any recommendations for power steering upgrades? I've been eyeballing the setup BC Bronco's sell, has any other's had good luck with it? Any alternative kits out there I should check into?
7. What is the deal with Tierod over versus under set-ups? Is this something from the factory or is it a modification to be made? What are the benefits to each? My tie rod is currently under, should I be converting this over?
8. For power brakes should I be looking into a brake booster setup or looking to go hydraulic? Can the hydraulic setup work with the 5.0 serpentine setup with A/C?
9. Any recommendations on differential carriers? Want posi set-up that will work good for both street and off road.
10. Any of you out there running the 4R70W with 4.56 and 33" tires? How do you like it? Would you change anything if you had to do it over? (i.e. different ratio)
11. Planning on cutting the fenders and running fender flairs. What kits would you recommend? When installing the flares should I move the rear axel an inch back?
12. I want to install the family style cage (I like the WH Family Custom Cage). My concern is that I am 6'3" tall. Has anyone out there used this cage with Tom's custom seats? If so, how is the headroom? I want to avoid throwing out the dough for the seats and cage and knock myself out the first time I take it off road.
13. Any recommendations for 3.5" SL kits? The vehicle is going to be dual purpose, both street and off road, so I would like to find the one that will accommodate both to the best of its abilities. In lifting, what steering modifications should I be looking into to enhance handling and avoiding issues such as the infamous "death wobble". I also prefer the lift's end result to be level or a bit nose high. I don't like the 'stink bug' look on a 4WD.

Any recommendations you all can give will be much appreciated. Also, thanks to all the members that have posted threads on all of their projects. It has definitely been the shot in the arm I needed to tackle my build head on!

Attachments

• IMG_1841.jpg
    IMG_1841.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 650
  • IMG_1842.jpg
    IMG_1842.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 686
  • IMG_1844.jpg
    IMG_1844.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 502
  • IMG_1828.jpg
    IMG_1828.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 557
  • IMG_1830.jpg
    IMG_1830.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 618

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
1. I have read several threads for the 5.0 swap. I intend on using the stock stuff from the lincoln. What items on this motor can be eliminated (i.e. smog pump, extra sensors??) and not hurt the performance of the motor? What is the benefit/detriment to running the EGR? When I install A/C, do I use the existing compressor? Do you need to run a CAT with this setup? Will I need to have a custom chip to run the computer (I think it's an A9L)? Plan on running the stock wiring harness and stripping the extra wires out myself.

As for smog stuff that depends on your State if they do smog inspection, if no inspection you will not need the pump or the cat, you will not need the EGR, you can use the AC compressor, you may need to have a hose made to fit it however. No chip is needed for this setup, you will need the O2 sensors.

2. Would like to install a 3.5" SL and 1" BL.

This is my take on lifts its just my opinion. I don't like anything over 2.5", the steering geometry gets a little radical, the driveshaft angles are greater, and the center of gravity gets too high for my likes. I have 2.5" lift and 33 tires and can go a lot of places, there are very few places a 2.5" lift cant go that a 3.5" can and in some cases a 2.5 will be better i.e. off-road off cambers and on-road manners. Don't get me wrong the bigger lifts have there places however if you start to look at what a lot of guys are doing, and not just with Broncos, they are cutting the fenders so the taller tires will fit but staying with the smaller lifts and trying to keep the lower center of gravity.

7. What is the deal with Tierod over versus under set-ups? Is this something from the factory or is it a modification to be made? What are the benefits to each? My tie rod is currently under, should I be converting this over?

The TRO lessens the angle at which the drag link is, relative to the front axle. I have done this on both my rigs and each only has a 2.5" lift, they drive great. A lot of guys don't swap them on the smaller lifts but I like to. The closer the drag link and trac bar are to horizontal the better it will drive, they also need to be close to parallel and the same length so they will travel the same arc when moving up and down. This will eliminate the dreaded bump-steer. This is not so much necessary on the 2.5, you can get away with stock setup.

4. For the 4R70W w/D20 setup, it is imperative to run twin sticks? What is the benefit to twin sticks, my stock setup has a J shifter.

Not necessary just more independent control of the front and rear axle. I like the twins better

One thing I forgot to mention is: before you do anything to the donner car check for codes so you will know what you have before the swap this way you will know its not something that has gone wrong after the swap.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bferrari

Bferrari

About time for an update .... spent the last few months, researching, scouring junk yards and trying to come up with a direction. I ended up buying two additional explorer motors and a mustang motor. Using the bottom end from one of the explorers that had virtually no wear. Machine shop polished the crank and honed the cylinders for moly rings. Using the heads off of the second explorer which are the GT-40's, now I am not restricted by headers/manifolds. The GT-40's were in great shape so we surfaced, did a valve job, new seals and installed new valve springs. Then finally, using the cam out of the mustang. Hoping to have the motor completely rebuilt and assembled within the week so I can start tearing into the 4R70W for rebuild and install of the AA kit.

Attachments

• IMG_2214.jpg
    IMG_2214.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 436
  • IMG_2211.jpg
    IMG_2211.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 449
  • IMG_2192.jpg
    IMG_2192.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 454
  • IMG_2188.jpg
    IMG_2188.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 476
OP
OP
Bferrari

Bferrari

Got the motor back together. Everything went really good, just took a bunch of time cleaning, painting, etc. I was lucky to have the help of my two boys! Still have a few components left to get cleaned up but I am going to pull the bronco in to disassemble for media blasting.

Attachments

• IMG_2407.jpg
    IMG_2407.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 589
  • IMG_2405.jpg
    IMG_2405.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 545
  • IMG_2402.jpg
    IMG_2402.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 585
  • IMG_2393.jpg
    IMG_2393.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 555
  • IMG_2392.jpg
    IMG_2392.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 547
  • IMG_2389.jpg
    IMG_2389.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 589
  • IMG_2386.jpg
    IMG_2386.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 604

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
Looks good Bferrari!!! What junkyards did you go to and how were the prices on the explorer motors? I am thinking bout going that route with my bronco when the time comes. Hope to see it on the road some time, if you see a guy in a silver chevy truck giving you a thumbs up that would be me!!! Matt

OP
OP
Bferrari

Bferrari

Hey Matt, found one of them at Timos, on Sheridan Road, and the other at the yard across the road from them. The Mustang motor came from craigslist. - Ben

OP
OP
Bferrari

Bferrari

Got her in the shop and started going over her in detail. Pulled the carpet and mats out of it. Rear pans look good, going to need front floor plans, at least the drivers side. I noticed that someone had gone to town with a welder on the seat brackets, I'm curious what I am going to find once I get into that mess! All in all, not as good as I was anticipating however not that bad at all. Looks like the welder will be getting some use!;)

Attachments

• IMG_2432.jpg
    IMG_2432.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 516
  • IMG_2431.jpg
    IMG_2431.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 478
  • IMG_2430.jpg
    IMG_2430.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 520
  • IMG_2428.jpg
    IMG_2428.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 489
  • IMG_2426.jpg
    IMG_2426.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 406
  • IMG_2425.jpg
    IMG_2425.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 409
  • IMG_2424.jpg
    IMG_2424.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 448
  • IMG_2423.jpg
    IMG_2423.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 468
OP
OP
Bferrari

Bferrari

I'll keep today's rant short as I was called out on an emergency service call last night and am going on close to 38 hours straight with no sleep. The boys wanted help Daddy with the bronco tonight so I took them back to the shop and let them do their thing. I was able to give the old girl a better "once over" and I'll be damned if I didn't find quite a bit more than what I was anticipating. Looks like I've got some more issues on the inner fenders, the cowl and possibly the window frame/hinge. I am almost scared to media blast this thing because I am unsure of what else will rear it's ugly head! Have you all been in this situation? Oh well ... on a brighter note I've got a welder and know how to use it!;) The old girl is going to be a right as I can make her! Stay tuned!

Attachments

• IMG_2452.jpg
    IMG_2452.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 440
  • IMG_2446.jpg
    IMG_2446.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 464
  • IMG_2445.jpg
    IMG_2445.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 490
  • IMG_2443.jpg
    IMG_2443.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_2442.jpg
    IMG_2442.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 479
  • IMG_2441.jpg
    IMG_2441.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 472
  • IMG_2440.jpg
    IMG_2440.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 407
  • IMG_2439.jpg
    IMG_2439.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 432

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Got the motor back together. Everything went really good, just took a bunch of time cleaning, painting, etc. I was lucky to have the help of my two boys! Still have a few components left to get cleaned up but I am going to pull the bronco in to disassemble for media blasting.

Nice rig bud.. Always great to have the kids working along side you and learning the madness. ;)

Good luck and enjoy bud

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Wow, it sounds like you and I are traveling identical paths. Same donor car, same bronco though mine is manual. As for the lift, I have rode in several and I have to say the WH 2.5" with Bilstiens is about the best all around for me. I have a bad back so ride comfort is a huge must. Take a min. to check out my build and you will see what looked ok on the surface has turned into a lot of work. Don't be afraid of the media blast but be prepared to do it right. My media blast ran me 1300 and it was worth every penny. I am also replacing 30 panels as well. My inner fenders had the typical rust square and didn't look too bad till I got it stripped down. I knew my floors needed attention but after the mat was pulled, I found not a single floor piece from front to back salvageable. Invest in some copper weld through primer and frame coat if you have good rockers etc. Clean, treat and seal all cavities on it which are rockers, door posts and windshield support and frame, I am using Eaton frame coat.

With 33" tires, a 2.5"SL and 1"BL, take a look at Nicks "Tupe" build for an idea of stance as that is how that one is sitting. I myself find I am bouncing back and forth between 33" to 35" tires and am leaning more towards the 33's for a few reasons. The bigger we go the more we are willing to see what it will do/go etc. and after I get done with it, the last thing I want to do is put it in a situation to damage it. Another issue is the COG. I want it to be comfortable and handle within its ability so keeping the COG down will help in all areas.

Cages are a tough one. I have seen some of the kits and was not happy with the front support bars. I am 5'11" and they made egress not so easy however I also tried a few custom built cages and the difference was night and day as they focused on tucking the front bars to follow the dash and hug the corner. So the boxed kits are out for me so I am having a custom one built. If you get a chance to go to an event where you can ride in a few, check out various cages etc. that will help you. It has taken me over 4 years of owning mine and researching items to finally get started and I am neck deep into it.

As far as gearing goes, with the steep OD the AOD and 4R70W share, you may want to look at a little taller gear. Base things on your motor and torque curve (I think the explorer cam would have been a better fit for more low end torque) but you need to see where your engine is at running around 2100 rpm. I would figure that you need to have it set up with tires and gears so you are turning 2000-2100 rpm at 70 mph for good highway manners and be as reasonable as it can be at the pump.

For well mannered all around traction, I would seriously consider the Detroit true trac. They are smooth, noise free, maintenance free (no clutch packs to worry about or air lines, electric lines etc.) and provide great traction all the time yet they are well mannered on the street.

Most of all, enjoy your build and make it yours. Do not settle for anything other than what you want or you will regret it later. Try to avoid a self imposed unrealistic deadline, leave yourself "me" time and "family" time so you don't resent it when you get into a bind and believe me it will put you in some, specially the mental binds. I was at that point yesterday and left mine alone. I had all night to think things through and formulate a plan so when I attack it today I have a clear direction and will get things done. Good luck and keep updating your build. Even if people do not post, they are watching and you will get the occasional chime in on things you are doing, so far the best help ha been the support of the board. Its nice to know your fellow Bronco brothers have your back. Good luck!

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
Ben, thanks for letting me know what junk yards you looked at. I will have to swing by there after work one day since I work on the Mesa. Keep the pics of the build coming.

OP
OP
Bferrari

Bferrari

Game On!

Well I finally did it! I took a perfectly running vehicle and tore it apart. Was able to get the body off tonight and placed on the rotisserie. Made a little misjudgment on centering the vehicle but nothing that adding a couple diesel cans for ballast couldn't fix. Oh the joys of doing this 'Hans Solo'! Now time to get it completely stripped down for blasting!

Attachments

• IMG_2711.jpg
    IMG_2711.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 538
  • IMG_2709.jpg
    IMG_2709.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 551
  • IMG_2704.jpg
    IMG_2704.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 601
  • IMG_2702.jpg
    IMG_2702.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 522
  • IMG_2701.jpg
    IMG_2701.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 557
  • IMG_2713.jpg
    IMG_2713.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 553

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
Good job!!!! I hear ya on the Hans solo effort, thats how I am doing it also!!! Nice shop by the way, looking forward to more progess pics

OP
OP
Bferrari

Bferrari

Good job!!!! I hear ya on the Hans solo effort, thats how I am doing it also!!! Nice shop by the way, looking forward to more progess pics

Thanks Matt, next time your in Nipomo come by and check it out.

BigBlueBronco71

Loc.
Santa Maria, CA
Awesome stuff man! I'm right down the road in Santa Maria, its good to see some Broncos in the area, I'm definitely jealous of your shop setup as well!

jmeyer1971

Your first mistake was having a shop and a lift. Go drag that thing under the shade tree and get to it. Laying tits up in grass builds character and whenever you frustrated you can just take a brake and find all the nuts and bolts you lost

OP
OP
Bferrari

Bferrari

Your first mistake was having a shop and a lift. Go drag that thing under the shade tree and get to it. Laying tits up in grass builds character and whenever you frustrated you can just take a brake and find all the nuts and bolts you lost

Oh trust me brother, been there, done that for many of years. Used to be the King of the cardboard kreeper! Just so happens that one of the local dealerships was upgrading one of their lifts and the lift vendor was going to charge them to dissassemble and haul off the old lift. Right place at the right time and i was able to talk them into letting me dissasemble and haul off for nothing! Hence the reason you see a lift in my shop. I can reminisce about the old shade tree however can't say I miss it much!;)

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
Will do Ben, where are you located in Nipomo? I work up on the Mesa at the Refinery.