• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Red Label 68 4.6 Terminator Powered Bronco

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My god man. That is a beast of a bronco. Good work.

Eugene

OP
OP
houseofdiesel

houseofdiesel

Update 3/7/10

Well parts are finally starting to roll in again. High Angle Drivelines showed up. Man was he quick and on the money. I sent him as many pics as I could and it made things a lot easier. The Mil Spec CV's are huge. Can't believe they actually fit so nice. I even ended up with enough room to still run the front lower mount where I wanted. If things keep going like this I'll be able to pull the cab next weekend to start cleaning things up for Line X and paint. Just waiting on the rest of the heims and rod ends now. Ballistic said they were already on their way so as soon as they get here I can cut some PVC and flex things out to order the Aluminum links. Tacked all the rear brackets in last night and everything looks pretty good. Still need to re-measure everything to triple check my 4 link numbers, to see if there is anything that needs some slight adjustment. So someone asked about driveline angles at the beginning of this mess and it looks like 12* up front and 20* in the rear. Worked out pretty nice. Man the Poly performance mostly universal truss fits clean, just had to notch a 1/4" off one leg and shave an angle down on the differential housing. Ended up with about an 1 between the truss and OE rear crossmember which is nice cause now I can still use any one of a number of off the shelf 23 Gal. Tanks that are designed specifically for the EB's. Oh well here's the pics. Now I've gotta get a hold of my wiring/dyno tuner guy. Hope he's even still doing it considering I just found out over the weekend he sold his Dyno. If anyone has his cell number his name is Evin formally of Sandcandy Motorsports out of Gilroy, CA. He had a portable dyno and Sand rail shop that they shut down, but does really clean wiring and tuning for mustangs. Oh ya and if I get a down day I'm going to start posting some before and after pics to really sport the changes and progress.

RedLabel3810003.jpg

RedLabel3810009.jpg

RedLabel3810012.jpg

Before adjusting the pinion angle!
RedLabel3810014.jpg

RedLabel3810017.jpg

RedLabel3810018.jpg

RedLabel3810019.jpg

RedLabel3810020.jpg

OP
OP
houseofdiesel

houseofdiesel

Update 3/15/10

Well finally got the track bar brackets from Ballistic Fab. Man is it a tight fit. I might have to raise the truck a couple inches for every thing to clear but I'm going to fight it as much as I can. Probably going to do the bends in the trackbar and drag link this weekend. Tacked in the driver side bucket to get a look at the clearance and how it'll look.

Here's some pics:
RedLabel31510001.jpg

RedLabel31510007.jpg

RedLabel31510008.jpg

RedLabel31510011.jpg

OP
OP
houseofdiesel

houseofdiesel

Update 3/19/10

Well Kevin and Jason came by to look at the trac bar and drag link so they can throw some bends in them for me since my bender is at Kevin's shop. Can't believe the high steer setup has almost pushed everything up too high, and it's really making everything tight on up travel. I was going to limit it anyways but this is going to make things interesting. Still waiting on Ballistic Rod Ends but I've gotta try to keep progress going so I can pull the cab to get LineXed and finish welding up all the brackets and paint the frame and axles. It's really starting to cut into my wiring time. I was hoping on having it running and rolling by the end of this month but it's looking more like I'll be pressing to finish for Fun Fords Forever at Knotts Berry now. Here's some pics of the front temp links, trac bar brackets, and rear buckets being made. Going to do all the finish work on the cab as soon as I pull the cab so I can do all the cutting and grinding outside and roll the cab over to clean things up and get good welds in the tough spots.
RedLabelBuild31910004-1.jpg

RedLabelBuild31910002-1.jpg

RedLabelBuild31910006-1.jpg

RedLabelBuild31910008-1.jpg

RedLabelBuild31910009-1.jpg

RedLabelBuild31910010-1.jpg

Last edited:

broncojames

Loc.
Smelterville ID
GOOD GALLEY MISS JOLY Dos anyone have a 72" moniter to view the pics lol

Ausome build man would love to see video of it busting out the garage doors when its done lol

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
wow... subscribed. nice work.

I had to save off all those big photos to view them but thanks for posting the pics of the 3-link.

Looks like your lowers are 34". Is the upper the same? Are those all ballistic brackets?

The track bar riser looks custom? Would you mind sharing the height above the axle centerline for the track bar and the upper link?

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
also, just out of curiosity, was there a reason you didn't put the brackets for the front lower links directly under the frame? Looks like you tucked them up an inch or two - just for extra clearance?

OP
OP
houseofdiesel

houseofdiesel

also, just out of curiosity, was there a reason you didn't put the brackets for the front lower links directly under the frame? Looks like you tucked them up an inch or two - just for extra clearance?

Upper is 36"s. I'm not 100% on if I understood the whole calculator talk correct, but 1" makes a huge difference in anti squat numbers. There was a lot of BS and pure speculation on the threads, not just facts. I believe as long as I don't pass center of axle from the chassis mount eye it still counters anti wrap. With the newer designs of way stronger brackets setups, ripping brackets off shouldn't be an issue as long as the application process is done properly. It does help with clearance too. All of the link brackets are Poly Performance, including the rear truss. The trac bar brackets are both Ballistic, and the axle one is 5"s. They will custom make them to your specified height.

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
Thanks for the info and numbers on the links. I plugged your numbers into the 3-link calculator to see if i could make them work for me and they look really good. I was feeling encouraged until I actually went out and looked under thr truck and remembered my exhaust would be right in the way of a passenger side upper link on the inside of the frame. Driver's side is a possibility but its really too close for comfort to the driveshaft.

814735926_zuSon-L.jpg

not sure if I missed it in the pictures, but what are you doing for upper coilover mounts in the front?

thanks,
dan

OP
OP
houseofdiesel

houseofdiesel

Thanks for the info and numbers on the links. I plugged your numbers into the 3-link calculator to see if i could make them work for me and they look really good. I was feeling encouraged until I actually went out and looked under thr truck and remembered my exhaust would be right in the way of a passenger side upper link on the inside of the frame. Driver's side is a possibility but its really too close for comfort to the driveshaft.

not sure if I missed it in the pictures, but what are you doing for upper coilover mounts in the front?

thanks,
dan

Ya I have to have custom headers made to dump my exhaust outside the rails just before the firewall and there was no way I was fitting one on the driver side next to the driveline. My only thing was I thought on the front you want a high anti squat number to fight dive when braking. Your roll looks right on though. I couldn't get my that low though due to the widened rails and the driver side lower axle bracket is in the only place it can go. These brackets take up a lot more room than it appears to. These are 2.6" hiems using 4.5" 9/16 bolts, and I haven't welded in the gussets yet.

Probably hoops. I'd like to run bucket, cause it's way easier to make inner fenders and close everything off but due to being short on time will probably just do hoops like these just at more of an angle so I can mount bumpstops in front of them. The lowers will be a gusset that comes up the C's so the coilovers can mount on top of the C's.

Dodgeand62Forsale035.jpg

AndersonCrawl010.jpg

Last edited:

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
just noticed your steering gearbox - assume that is a ram assist valve of some sort? Who makes that? What steering gearbox is that?

thanks,
dan

OP
OP
houseofdiesel

houseofdiesel

just noticed your steering gearbox - assume that is a ram assist valve of some sort? Who makes that? What steering gearbox is that?

thanks,
dan

It's PSC unit specifically for EB Hardcore Crawlers. The three main bolt line up perfect and the forth is at the top of the frame rail. We sleeved that top bolt and plated both sides and wrapped the side plates under for overkill.

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
hope you dont mind all the questions... really interested in some of the stuff your doing.

Your steering box looks a little different than the one I see on PSC's site.
SG-630R-sm_MED.jpg

is it something they put together custom for you? Was it $800?

I like the idea of using late model superduty axles. They are a little easier to find. Some people say the balljoints wont hold up to huge tires but I dunno. Some people also say the "unit bearings" (dont even know exactly what that is) are a concern too. But others say no problem. Guess time will tell.

So what was the reasoning behind getting new knuckles for the front axle? Just to get high steer or is there another reason? Did you have to buy custom hubs for that or are those stock also? Did you use the stock axle shafts?

just trying to get an idea of what would be involved with going with the superduty axles compared to setting up a Dana 44 with some RCV axles.

thanks,
dan

OP
OP
houseofdiesel

houseofdiesel

Update 3/21/10

So made the last 2 pieces to weld into the tub and finished up the passenger side bucket. Basically the tubs they make for the fuel lines to run down the sides of the rear driver wheel wells fit the 42" MTRs perfectly, so I needed to make some for the passenger side. Wasn't too bad only took a little more than an hour. But know as soon as I get the steering column, trac bar, and drag link on this week I can pull the cab off to finish grinding and welding everything and get it to the LineX shop by next weekend. Oh and pics of the dual battery tray.

RedLabelBuild32210002.jpg

RedLabelBuild32210005.jpg

RedLabelBuild32210001.jpg

RedLabelBuild32210007.jpg

RedLabelBuild32210009.jpg

OP
OP
houseofdiesel

houseofdiesel

Update 3/26/10

Well it didn't turn out as clean as I wanted it to but the weld will get covered up anyways. Put the reverse pitch sliders on and the rocker metal was just way too thin. Going to tie crossbars into the frame after I pull the body for LineX. Mainly just waiting on my friend to cut the new off set steering column bracket. Good news I got today was that my tuner guy still has his dyno, so I'm all set up for him to wire it up and do the tuning as soon as I get everything back together. Here's the ugly slider pics.

RedLabelBuild32610012.jpg

RedLabelBuild32610013.jpg

RedLabelBuild32610021.jpg

RedLabelBuild32610018.jpg

RedLabelBuild32610022.jpg

RedLabelBuild32610024.jpg

OP
OP
houseofdiesel

houseofdiesel

Update 3/27/10

I'm so excited. I hope a lot of the other parts I've ordered start rolling in over the next week. Things are going to be getting crazy Since I'm trying to do like 4 projects at once. I have to get my '83 Diesel Ranger that I have to get fully running and painted so that I can use it as a daily driver within 10 days, Injectors, Paint, FICM, and a bunch of loose ends on the '62 to take it to Texas for an event on the 10th, the paint and swap out the links to 3" on the SuperCrawler for the Bronco Safari if I can find a lowboy that will do the run for fuel and all expense paid just to hang out, and Ole' Red here for Fun Ford's Forever at Knott's Berry Farm by the end of the month. Oh well here are the pics of the Off-set Steering Column Bracket my friend cut. Not a big kick just enough for some breathing room next to the valve covers and help straighten the run at the Steering box. Next is getting the plates rolled for the cage and rear shocks.

RedLabelBuild32710001.jpg

RedLabelBuild32710002.jpg