• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New to forum, looking to purchase a bronco

OP
OP
Wolverine

Wolverine

Anyone know of a forum member in or near Grand Rapids, Michigan? Is there a way to search members by location?

CopperRanger

Bronco Guru
At the top of this page click on community, then members list and you can search by state.

OP
OP
Wolverine

Wolverine

Still doing homework and looking for Bronco

I am now official 'obsessed' with buying a bronco. Man I wish I wouldn't have sold mine years ago. Anyway a huge favor. Would one of y'all check out this 1970 and give me your expert opinion? Would you buy and how much would you pay? My goals are 75% on road 25% off road, prefer 347 or 351 but 302 in a pinch. I am okay with a complete interior re-do if structure (engine/suspension,etc.) is sound. Thanks, in advance.

www.4-wheelclassics.com/vehicles/60/1970-ford-bronco

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
28 grand for a truck with California plates, spent a year in Idaho and now is in Michigian. Make sure it is properly titled, title, registration, frame numbers and glove box tag matches before you even think about ploping down your money on that thing. Nothing on that truck says to me plop down 28 grand on that truck. Needs far too much work to be anywhere near that price. Look at every picture and check off everything that is missing or not right. Far too many things add up to big amounts of cash. You have Bronco fever, if you must buy that thing get your ass out there and see it first hand. Drive it first hand. Then decide if you still want to plop even more cash into that truck.

OP
OP
Wolverine

Wolverine

Rustytruck: Thanks for the reply. Wish there was a list/source/book I could use to "check off everything missing" since I am not knowledgable. Tried contacting forum members near Grand Rapids, MI to look at, but no reply, perhaps they are no longer active. If I could have got someone to look at and give their opinion, I would then to fly up and "see 1st hand" and possibly make a lower $ offer. Any guidance you can give would be appreciated. Thanks again.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
28 grand for a truck with California plates, spent a year in Idaho and now is in Michigian. Make sure it is properly titled, title, registration, frame numbers and glove box tag matches before you even think about ploping down your money on that thing. Nothing on that truck says to me plop down 28 grand on that truck. Needs far too much work to be anywhere near that price. Look at every picture and check off everything that is missing or not right. Far too many things add up to big amounts of cash. You have Bronco fever, if you must buy that thing get your ass out there and see it first hand. Drive it first hand. Then decide if you still want to plop even more cash into that truck.

Previously mentioned registration trail in question
The interior looks like it could be refreshed, tired
What is with the patch job on the dash for the radio?
Missing brake warning light in dash
Hood seal missing from fresh air intake for heater
Missing windshield washer res top, got to buy the whole thing to replace
No hoses hooked up to the Heater, core probably is bad>leaks
Leaking brake fluid on the inner fender from the master.
No cables for the rear parking brakes, not hooked up
Patch job(s) around where wire harness enters the engine compartment.
D30 front axle with 35" tires, kind of pushing the limit there
Pictures do not show front disc brake conversion as advertised, still drum
Bolts welded to frame, for maybe a missing skid plate for transfer case?
Front bumper/push bar weld to frame
Inner fenders have been patched
Lots of silver paint all over engine compartment
Looks like the frame/axles were spray bombed
Age of tires is always a question

I would recommend that you keep looking...

OP
OP
Wolverine

Wolverine

Wow:
Rustytruck & 904Bronco Y'all are really helpful. I owe y'all a beer and cigar. Hopefully I can find a bronco, and meet up with you at an event. Perhaps I should enlist (pay$) someone in the forum group to be my expert during the search. Do you know of anyone in the forum that would be interested? Like a paid consultant.

Tugross302

Wow!!! Some guys on here really know their stuff. I can barely see the pics. Damn eyes don’t work good anymore. Very impressive though. A wealth of information

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Previously mentioned registration trail in question
The interior looks like it could be refreshed, tired
What is with the patch job on the dash for the radio?
Missing brake warning light in dash
Hood seal missing from fresh air intake for heater
Missing windshield washer res top, got to buy the whole thing to replace
No hoses hooked up to the Heater, core probably is bad>leaks
Leaking brake fluid on the inner fender from the master.
No cables for the rear parking brakes, not hooked up
Patch job(s) around where wire harness enters the engine compartment.
D30 front axle with 35" tires, kind of pushing the limit there
Pictures do not show front disc brake conversion as advertised, still drum
Bolts welded to frame, for maybe a missing skid plate for transfer case?
Front bumper/push bar weld to frame
Inner fenders have been patched
Lots of silver paint all over engine compartment
Looks like the frame/axles were spray bombed
Age of tires is always a question

I would recommend that you keep looking...

Dang man, you got some good eyes! I'll have to send you a picture if I'm ever in the market for another one. And I bet you are good at tracking deer. Ken

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I will say that I have been doing Broncos for a while...

I just finished a two year frame off on my 71 last year and the price of everything is fresh in my head.

That I just picked up a 67 after looking for a few months. I didn't offer what the guy was asking and when he Poo-poo'd my offer, I told him exactly why it was less and how much it would cost for me to sort it out.

Oh, did I mention I am AR? :D

(Anal Retentive...)

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I guess I should also say that the very 1st Early Bronco I ever bought was on EBay, and I got Bent-Over. So if I can ever prevent that from happening to someone else, I will...

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would also recommend bajafresh here in the classified section. He is an honest person and prices his finds fairly. I purchased mine from him. However, he only sells what he finds and buys and he may not have what you're looking for at the moment. Maybe reach out to him and let him know what you are looking for. He may already know where one is sitting.

I would recommend watching the classified section on this site as in that price range I am not sure I would purchase from anywhere but here (or at the very least a strong recommendation for the seller and his truck from a forum member). I'd buy one in lower price ranges from craigslist but at your price range there has to be a lot done to warrant that price. People here on the forum have a reputation that they care about. The less than honest guys are ran-off this site.

Finally I would recommend talking to some of the guys here on the forum that work on early Bronco's for a living and see if they can do something in your price range. These guys buy EB's for customers as well as working on customers EB's. Maybe you could get one worked on for close to your price range. The great thing about this route is that you know exactly what has been done to the truck. It's pretty easy to get $15K into making something mechanically sound and (engine, brakes, axles, etc... with NO LABOR included) another $15K (EASY) for a new body/paint. I would think $20K for new body without a fancy show quality paint job but maybe an EB could be found that doesn't need a whole new body.

I think the silver one you posted the link to is being flipped. The paint over spray on everything makes me think it's being flipped. I'd want to know more about the rear suspension. I'd definitely want to drive it to see if they got the numbers right regarding the rear end geometry. Triangulated 4-links inherently have a lot of body roll. I rode in one that made me feel a bit uncomfortable. I'm not a huge fan of the front bumper but normally that's not a big problem unless it's welded to the frame (I didn't notice that). Looking at the drive shafts something tells me they need new u-joints. I would guess the same for the wheel bearings.

I was reading the Florida Meccum thread and saw the comments about the low quality build of some of them (NOT THE STROPPE Andrew restored). This reminded me of some years ago my buddy that owns a detail shop was working a big classic car auction in Auburn, IN. Guys would have him do a quickie on them before they went across the auction block. He said some of them were total junk under their skirts.

Sorry the post is so long.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I guess I should also say that the very 1st Early Bronco I ever bought was on EBay, and I got Bent-Over. So if I can ever prevent that from happening to someone else, I will...

Amen... learn from our mistakes