• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My second Bronco... Crawler build...

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
That stinks we won't be seeing you this year Todd. You are still welcome to cruise by the shop and see what we have brewing, might even get a glimpse at next years plans...

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Won't get done till you get motivated brother.. Make it happen..

Find that motivation.. :D

Yeah what’s the story on this lame build thread...

Oh wait- it’s mine. A lot going on this year personally. To easy to make excuses too... I tinker and have not lost interest, it has just dropped low on the priority list. As far as SC- I am out on that this year- I will be traveling that week and won’t get back in time. I could use some motivation to get this done though.

Prizefighter

Bronco Guru
Bump. Wake up thread. Time to get this build going again. Go buy some Red Bull and turn a wrench :cool:

OP
OP
Mountain Ram

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
Bump. Wake up thread. Time to get this build going again. Go buy some Red Bull and turn a wrench :cool:

Been turning alot of wrenches... AND coaching baseball and football... Building some RZR cages, riding the RZR alot and spending some quality family time.

This build has gotten so slow, even my son is ragging on me because he wants to ride in it!!

I just bought a new Rampage top for my '75 and was looking at converting my old kayline to fit on this project- I need to figure out how to narrow a soft top to fit the narrowed bed... anyone ever do this??

DRBRONCO69

Chicago Mike
Loc.
Chicago, Illinois
Been turning alot of wrenches... AND coaching baseball and football... Building some RZR cages, riding the RZR alot and spending some quality family time.

This build has gotten so slow, even my son is ragging on me because he wants to ride in it!!

I just bought a new Rampage top for my '75 and was looking at converting my old kayline to fit on this project- I need to figure out how to narrow a soft top to fit the narrowed bed... anyone ever do this??

I'm getting ready to narrow my Rampage top to fit the crawler, I'll let you know how it turns out.

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good deal. Was trying to figure out the bows as the mounts will be on the section that narrows. The rear bow I’ll need to narrow as it goes up.

One reason I left my rear bed rails stock width was so I could run a soft top. That being said, I've only had it on once, when I first built it. I think it's in the attic now. What do you lack on it? I know you were deep into the wiring before, but didn't you get that wrapped up?

OP
OP
Mountain Ram

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
One reason I left my rear bed rails stock width was so I could run a soft top. That being said, I've only had it on once, when I first built it. I think it's in the attic now. What do you lack on it? I know you were deep into the wiring before, but didn't you get that wrapped up?

The wiring is done with the exception of marker lights. Not sure why I felt the need for that. I am pulling the stereo out and will need to make a panel with a cubby hole and ports to charge an iphone. I run a wetsounds bar in my RZR and I will put one in this too- to simple for tunes.

I have been having trouble getting the fuel injection software to work. This is an older injection unit, thinking about going new and doing a Holley Sniper and dizzy out of the box. It will run ~$1200 but would be plug and play- where I am trying to get programs set just to start the set up I have...

OP
OP
Mountain Ram

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
Where are you at with this build? Did you give up? :p

Seems like it most days... I still have it, but haven't done anything significant in a long time.

I did buy a new trailer to haul all my junk on!!

Any input on fuel injection? Whats working off road? FI Tech, Holley, etc? I have an old Holley Avenger System, but I dont weant to mess with it and want something simple. If I make the investment to something plug and play, it may help get me over the hump.

Also- I have a brand new TFI dizzy for the 351w and the cable to hook it into the Avenger system. If I went with Fitech- what dizzy would be best to use with this setup? I had read a long time ago that the Avenger and the TFI gives great tune-ability, but I'm not smart enough for that. I need something simple

snipes243

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Huntersville, NC
Seems like it most days... I still have it, but haven't done anything significant in a long time.

I did buy a new trailer to haul all my junk on!!

Any input on fuel injection? Whats working off road? FI Tech, Holley, etc? I have an old Holley Avenger System, but I dont weant to mess with it and want something simple. If I make the investment to something plug and play, it may help get me over the hump.

Also- I have a brand new TFI dizzy for the 351w and the cable to hook it into the Avenger system. If I went with Fitech- what dizzy would be best to use with this setup? I had read a long time ago that the Avenger and the TFI gives great tune-ability, but I'm not smart enough for that. I need something simple

You could can use the TFI dizzy with the holley terminator, they make a pigtail directly for it. It actually appears to be same connector that you have.
https://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/5...tL-Avok35nxsA4VDpGgQnT7BmBxJ7_4xoCu5wQAvD_BwE

The terminators act very similar in setup to the snipers, but also have the laptop tuning available. They are both self tuning.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Todd,
Personally I’d avoid the FItech. I’ve done 2 installs and was never really happy with the results. Spent a lot of time with their tech guys and they are not very helpful. Some people have had better luck but I would try the Holley sniper or MSD atomic if you are set on efi. I’ve done the full atomic set up with timing control and it worked pretty well. No experience with the sniper but have heard good things.
Glad to hear you are still in the game. Super cel is only 6 months away!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
have a work party coming in Saturday on mine, maybe that would help you get going again? even Baldwin is making the trip over!

Prizefighter

Bronco Guru
The FiTech buzz is over, everyone is moving on because of the issues mentioned above. I just bought a Holley Sniper and will install soon.

Make this Bronco run and drive. Then you will be motivated to finish the little things.

ChrisC74

The FiTech buzz is over, everyone is moving on because of the issues mentioned above. I just bought a Holley Sniper and will install soon.

Make this Bronco run and drive. Then you will be motivated to finish the little things.
I am not going to dispute that some of the Fitech systems have had problems but what is very important on both the Fitech and the Sniper is to have a good running system before you install either one. Things like small vacuum leaks, etc. that don't really affect a carb can cause havoc with a TBI systems O2 sensor making it run rich or lean, etc... if you go to either forum you will see numerous complaints on both systems that stem from folks thinking it is a cure all for a bad running engine. I would not call either system plug and play but will require some setting adjustments. I have a Fitech on one bronco and bought a second unit for my second build about a year ago and wish I had waited to closer to needing it because it is still not on the road and I would have gotten a sniper this time around to I could compare the two.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Hey Todd, all I run are FiTechs. Worked on Holley and its good as well but I like the cleaner looks of FiTech. As with any aftermarket EFI system what a lot of ppl don't realize is:
#1 They are self learning to your driving NOT self learning to the engine
#2 Factory EFI systems do not need their O2 to run as they have a pretty complex fuel map in them and only spot check the O2 and trim based on that whereas an aftermarket system will not run without the O2 at all. So if their engine has issues, leaks etc. the aftermarket EFI systems will detect them and run like crap. Most can blame FiTech but they don't have a clue as to what they are talking about. I have installed over 20 units now with only 1 having an actual bad unit and it wasn't the unit as much as the only sensor that they integrated into the ECM to keep it compact that had failed. Building the system correctly and more importantly installing it correctly and making certain you have no intake or exhaust leaks will yield a damn fine running machine. If you know Paul Perry, he is big into the overland scene, we built him a 347with the FiTech and he has had it everywhere and loves it. He said for off road rock crawling that it was the single best improvement he had done to his rig. If you want to go that route, please feel free to give me a call or swing by the shop and I can give you the low down on everything for a clean dependable install.