• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

89 donor Bronco - parts to keep ?

bamabaja

Contributor
Loc.
The Shoals
Picked up 89 full size in running condition real cheap. Yea, I know, all addicts justify their addiction. But, my decoding (subject to being wrong- photo) shows 5.0 with AOD and 3:55 open diff. My current project is 66 U14 for road use, 351W with D30 with disc brakes. To add PS, steering column, AT (have C4), rear diff. So know AOD is “useable” but no long distance driving planned so leaning to C4. Also have several early Bronco rear axles that would be fine for my intended use. So, is 89 donor good for steering column, PS (rebuild 4x4x2), AOD better choice, rear axle and parts I’m missing useful in my project. As always, thanks for help.

Attachments

• 8885C8E7-00F0-4B87-AA84-485DA48C3A3D.jpg
    8885C8E7-00F0-4B87-AA84-485DA48C3A3D.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 11

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Picked up 89 full size in running condition real cheap. Yea, I know, all addicts justify their addiction. But, my decoding (subject to being wrong- photo) shows 5.0 with AOD and 3:55 open diff. My current project is 66 U14 for road use, 351W with D30 with disc brakes. To add PS, steering column, AT (have C4), rear diff. So know AOD is “useable” but no long distance driving planned so leaning to C4. Also have several early Bronco rear axles that would be fine for my intended use. So, is 89 donor good for steering column, PS (rebuild 4x4x2), AOD better choice, rear axle and parts I’m missing useful in my project. As always, thanks for help.

steering column Maybe OK

PS (rebuild 4x4x2) Not the 4x4 but maybe the 4x2 box (those are the cheap and easy part to get)

AOD has very high overdrive, so best for highway

rear axle is an 8.8 inch which most here will tell you is a step down from the 9 inch the early Broncos came with

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Front hubs and rotors for a disc brake conversion. None of the other parts from the front end will work though.

As stated, the steering box is the much easier to find of the two boxes for the 4x4x2. You'd use the worm gear and piston out of it.

OP
OP
bamabaja

bamabaja

Contributor
Loc.
The Shoals
Thanks gents. Confirmed my inexperienced thoughts but never hurts to ask the experts. Think the 8.8 would work in my future Bronco II project but easy to find around here so may just trash on local trails. Or save 5.0 for when my truggy 5.0 dies. Thanks again.

OP
OP
bamabaja

bamabaja

Contributor
Loc.
The Shoals
Thanks gents. Confirmed my inexperienced thoughts but never hurts to ask the experts. Think the 8.8 would work in my future Bronco II project but easy to find around here so may just trash on local trails. Or pull and sell 5.0 to get my money back. Thanks again.