• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Any Ford Windsor swaps for a late model TJ

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Anybody have a link or other input?
PaulW

this is the exact starting point of my bronco build, but it looked too complicated.....

https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/engine-mounts/mmtj-f/ is as far as i got and maybe i found someones build out there with pics of cutting frame for engine mounts.

frankly i still want to do this to my jeep but still have it street legal. in NH that means engine cant predate the vehicle yada yada yada....

Hank

SavageBurro

yup stroked 4.0 to 4.6 or 4.7. been there done that... way easier install, better mpgs, awesome torque

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
yup stroked 4.0 to 4.6 or 4.7. been there done that... way easier install, better mpgs, awesome torque

i can see two of the three, but better mpgs, better than what? 4.0s are not known for fuel mileage. That would definitely be better than cramming a V-8 in the truck.

Ethansdad73

Bronco Guru
Novak conversions.. Ls swap is bolt in. I have a 99 xj and that will be the direction I go once motor dies.. at 245k on it now..

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

SavageBurro

sorry...I meant better pottential mileage w 4.6 stroker vs small block v8. every build is obviously different but I got Ave of 19 mpg in my former yeep, small lift 33s, 4.56, auto. got 22 hwy and legit 17 mpg towing tent trailer loaded down w gear. (in so oregon w lots of mtns). don't get me wrong I love v8 power but yeep 4.6 stroker is a hell of a good motor. I built for reliability and mpg and it still had gobs of power. simple bolt in... no conversion headaches.

pbwcr - sorry for the tangent from your original question.

Last edited:

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
my dad traded for a yj several years ago that had a fi 5.0 and a t-5. guess it was an old aa adapted t-5 but it worked. it did not look like a kit was used in the install though. lots of wires everywhere and the motor mounts looked home made. sorry i know that doesnt really help

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
i like the KISS theory, keep it simple stupid. the 4.6 stroker makes perfect sense and will be a torque monster, cant get any simpler than that. i think it would help resale value vs a v8 conversion. kinda like a sleeper. i have a TJ and have always thought the V8 conversions are just overkill for a jeep, although they did put the v8 in them from the factory for few years. someone called me a jeepguy the other day, thought i was gonna need bail money for assault charges j/k, he is/was a good friend. LOL

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Is the Heep stroker a rebuild kit or a crate motor? Where does one get the parts and/or the motor? (Mrs. Obscure wants another, her 3rd, TJ)

-jim

OP
OP
pbwcr

pbwcr

Just saying:
In the beginning I was not interested is a 4.0 storker, but yes there are several companies, two of which have been identified that sell the parts for a DIY stroker. I know that Curt Leduk used a $crate motor$ from ATK and he told me it put out around 300Hp. I strongly suspect that any stroker setup would be way to costly compared to a used V8 conversion And I don't want to take the time out of my life to make it happen.
Anyway my highly modified EB has a Mustang/AOD, (but I wish it was a Explorer with the stock Explorer drive train). I am a Ford guy and was using this forum because you are all Ford guys. Appreciate all the comments.
Of Course most all my off road buddies are Jeep guys and they are overwhelming in favor of LS and drive train conversions. They keep all the bow tie stuff stock and the install is DIY with help and parts from Novak. BTW, Not a single one of these Jeep guys have ever considered a stroker. The TJ LS conversion requires an electric fan for cooling. Not something I would be happy with?

Well crap, Chevy is probably the way to go. Never thot I would go over to the dark side.

PaulW

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
I have been thinking about this also. I have a 2000 Heep with a 4 cylinder and 5 Speed. If I keep it I need more power. 6 Cylinder conversion I am told is alot of work also so I am looking at an LS swap. Just dont know enough about the motors to feel super comfortable yet. Should just trade it or sell it for a 6 cylinder 4.0 one or a newer V-6. Really seems like a V-8 would be plenty or maybe a bit much for these rigs but I may be wrong. I am just worried that the LS swap would get too expensive real quick.

mustanggarage

Contributor
I put a golen 4.6 stroker in my yj earlier this year. it is a nice engine has plenty of power and was an easy swap. Chad Golen was a great resource.

here is my build thread https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/joopacabra-1563169/

and a link to golen
https://golenengineservice.com/jeep-engines/

but if you are interested in a ford v-8 there is this discussion on novak that I read a while back. when I was considering it. http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/engines/swap-guides/ford-windsor/fsb-swap-yj-87-95

Last edited: