• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

'Non Full' Family Roll Cages?

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
maxresdefault-5.jpg

passenger_side-2-1225x815.jpg

I'm looking for a family roll cage. I've seen a few family cages on higher end builds that just cover the rear of the bronco. What are your thoughts on how these look?

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I like it. I have a full cage and the front bar is a PITA. Check out Krawlers Edge, they make one that has the front horizontal bars that attach to the windshield frame instead of using bars that go to the floor.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
The problem with a Bronco roll over if you dont contain the windshield frame you get to wear it on your head.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
But the typical "roll" is merely a side flop. That cage (or even a typical roll bar) does a great job at keeping the side flop from going all the way onto the lid.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
The bc cage protects the front seats with a removable brace in the middle from the bar to the floor. They have a video on their site of the roll tests. My kids ride with me in the bronco. I can deal with the front bars.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Properly designed front bars are barely noticeable and the added structure is priceless. Not only is it safer but it stiffens the body and chassis, helping with door alignment, reduces rattles and improved drivability.

Do a quick search of what happens to a bronco in a street crash, it's been discussed a LOT. Many of our vendors that are truly concerned about your safety and not your dollars will refuse to build you such a unit (myself included). And speaking of their concern call and ask Bailie about their insurance policy:eek:

if you have any doubts about the importance of safety equipment, PM KSM and ask her.

Beer and Fish

Bronco Guru
I'm looking to purchase two of these but the shipping to Florida is ridiculous
Please PM me who you decide to get it from and if there's any better way to get a good deal. Rocky Roads sells a nice one that comes ready to powder coat and drop in! Shipped built!

OP
OP
BGBronco

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
Full family cage from RR or the Custom Family Cage from WH is $500 shipping to TN so I can only imagine.

I'm looking to purchase two of these but the shipping to Florida is ridiculous
Please PM me who you decide to get it from and if there's any better way to get a good deal. Rocky Roads sells a nice one that comes ready to powder coat and drop in! Shipped built!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Do you have to mod the glovebox for a Bailie Bilt cage?

Can't recall, Talk to Gordon, he'll work with you

don't have door on mine, ha, but seems like plenty of room w/out walking out to look at it

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I've seen full cages that weigh almost as much as a tub.
You have to wonder if the cure is worse than the ailment??:?

If the cage is that heavy find a different builder

The cages that are so top heavy they make tipping over more likely to happen.

I love the internet and the forum we have here, but some ideas, beliefs and opinions should not be openly discussed.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Many of our vendors that are truly concerned about your safety and not your dollars will refuse to build you such a unit (myself included).

I've read and re-read this statement and I *think* I know what you're saying, but I wanted to get clarification. Do you mean you won't build a unit like Krawlers Edge builds with bars that connect to the top of the windshield? Or a different type?

Thanks,
Todd Z.

markatherton

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
cage

Don't skimp when it comes to safety for you and your family. Nobody PLANS to roll over

Attachments

• bronco rollover 001.jpg
    bronco rollover 001.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 143

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I've read and re-read this statement and I *think* I know what you're saying, but I wanted to get clarification. Do you mean you won't build a unit like Krawlers Edge builds with bars that connect to the top of the windshield? Or a different type?

Thanks,
Todd Z.

I know of several vendors that will not build a unit that does not have down legs in the front, along with myself, I'm a builder but do not consider myself a vendor.

I have watched the BC video and yes it worked, would I want to bet my life on it? No. However it is better than nothing at all and I would rather see someone run it vs nothing. I consider crawlers edge the same, there is no significant structure in the windshield frame. Now if it had reinforcements for the windshield frame and door pillar area I'd be all for it. I may just be a bit over criticle and probably over engineering it. My take on it is always what's my life, my wife's life and my kids life worth? I'll over do it every time, and that's how I look at for my customers as well. And yes I've been upside down more times than I can count doing things that the risk was known. It's the ones that aren't known that will jump up and bite in ways that are unimaginable.

I said it earlier and will elaborate. I've put Bailie's basic family cage in 2 bone stock restored bronco's that were really nice. Both of them drove better by being more responsive and felt more rigid like a modern vehicle. They were also quieter with fewer rattles creaks and moans

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I know of several vendors that will not build a unit that does not have down legs in the front, along with myself, I'm a builder but do not consider myself a vendor.

I have watched the BC video and yes it worked, would I want to bet my life on it? No. However it is better than nothing at all and I would rather see someone run it vs nothing. I consider crawlers edge the same, there is no significant structure in the windshield frame. Now if it had reinforcements for the windshield frame and door pillar area I'd be all for it. I may just be a bit over criticle and probably over engineering it. My take on it is always what's my life, my wife's life and my kids life worth? I'll over do it every time, and that's how I look at for my customers as well. And yes I've been upside down more times than I can count doing things that the risk was known. It's the ones that aren't known that will jump up and bite in ways that are unimaginable.

I said it earlier and will elaborate. I've put Bailie's basic family cage in 2 bone stock restored bronco's that were really nice. Both of them drove better by being more responsive and felt more rigid like a modern vehicle. They were also quieter with fewer rattles creaks and moans

Thanks for the elaboration!

Todd Z.