• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Inside mounted tire carrier

NashBronco

Loc.
Flowood, MS
Who has one? Any pictures? Do you like it?

I have a 67 that I am trying to keep "somewhat" original. I added a 1" WH lift and will make a few other upgrade so it won't be a true original. I am trying to decide if I keep the inner tailgate mounter spare tire or move it outside.

What say you?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
If you ever want to slide anything into the back the brackets on the tailgate make it next to impossible to do so.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I had one and didn't like it. The tire consumed all the space between the rear seat and tailgate. That's where my cooler goes. It makes it way more difficult to load and carry anything, with or without the rear seat. Also, I couldn't open the tailgate and sit on it... if you don't care about the space, and don't plan to use the tailgate, then they are great.

OP
OP
NashBronco

NashBronco

Loc.
Flowood, MS
Good points. I am just a little nervous about putting a tire carrier on the outside as I hear that it causes issues with the corner post? I am only going to be running 30 x 9.5's so maybe that wont be an issue?? Also, want to keep the original bumper look so a "bumper tire carrier" is out

Any body have a picture of their inner mounted tire? I don't think that i have ever seen one.(probably for all the good reasons mentioned)

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Good points. I am just a little nervous about putting a tire carrier on the outside as I hear that it causes issues with the corner post? I am only going to be running 30 x 9.5's so maybe that wont be an issue?? Also, want to keep the original bumper look so a "bumper tire carrier" is out

Any body have a picture of their inner mounted tire? I don't think that i have ever seen one.(probably for all the good reasons mentioned)

Close enough to stock tire size that the body mounted spare tire carrier will not sag, where people get into trouble is hanging a big tire which it was never designed for on it.

I have seen some bumper mount carriers made to work with stock or stock-looking bumpers.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
You wont have problems with that size tire as long as the tire carrier is properly supported. The clamp on the tailgate must be tight and have its rubber snubbers in place. The rubber snubbers and supports have to be in place along the tail gate. You allow bouncing around then sooner or later the stress will takes it toll. My truck had the inside tire mounts but when I went to 33 X 12.50 X 15 tires 25 years ago I installed a factory outside carrier and I have had no problems with it. But I don't let it swing out to the side of the truck much and when opening the tailgate I close it up as soon as I can so the tire isnt just hanging out unsupported by just the end cap.

ChrisC74

If you are going to be staying with the 30" tires you will be good with the stock carrier but if you think you will ever go larger then take a look for the posts showing the tire carrier fabricated to go behind the stock bumper - supported off the bumper posts and not the corner. I have mine about done and will hopefully get it painted and on in the next few weeks.

FordFarmer

Contributor
Mine is inside. I don't wheel but I did use it for a daily driver for a year and a half. I rarely hauled more than a few bags of groceries so it wasn't in the way.

Cortez

Bronco Guru
I had a '73 Blazer as a teenager that had an inside spare tire holder that would be perfect.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 62

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I wouldn't let the weight factor detour you, this massive spare/fuel rack is on the back of a 66' that I'm cleaning up to get back on the road. A PO welded two giant hinge plates on the passenger corner, and two latch brackets on the driver corner lol. It weighs a ton, is hideous and pretty creative...........so I'm cleaning it up and keeping it on there, it's solid. I'm cutting the decorative horseshoes off though :)

20170715_093153_zpsbkiakziz.jpg

20170715_093141_zpsufahvfcm.jpg

edmedlin

Loc.
Republic Missouri
I have a 12.5/33 on mine and have no issues. It had a larger (35") for over 20yrs. I took it off for powder coating and made sure it was good and tightly installed. They are pretty robust as long as they are not loose and bouncing around.

Attachments

• IMG_1099.jpg
    IMG_1099.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 34

1971BroncoSport

Not sure anyone posted pics per your original request.

Attachments

• IMG_0351.jpg
    IMG_0351.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0339.jpg
    IMG_0339.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 92
OP
OP
NashBronco

NashBronco

Loc.
Flowood, MS
Thanks for all the help. I already have the interior mounts on my tailgate so I am going to put it inside for a while and see how I like it. Something tells me that I will end up with a swing gate but who knows.