• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

James Duff Hood Strut Kit

DaveLev

We love this so much...thank you Suzy! The hood opens so easy now and stays up without that awful prop rod. Wish we had done this sooner - makes working on the Bronco that much easier.

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
We love this so much...thank you Suzy! The hood opens so easy now and stays up without that awful prop rod. Wish we had done this sooner - makes working on the Bronco that much easier.

That Suzy... She's a lifesaver!! :eek:;D:cool:

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
One of the best upgrades ever! Less chance of damage with the stupid rod, doesn't scratch the paint, and doesn't pop loose and smash everything below...

The hood mounted bracket on the Duff version which spreads the load is the best one out there.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Yea....I gotta do this too....
My stock hood has never fallen on me but the thought of it has distracted me on many occasions....lol....

FSRBIKER

Loc.
Oak Ridge, NJ
My wife and kids just gave me this kit for my birthday. Have a question on the hood bracket, mine has 2 holes for the part that bolts to the cross member closest to the front of the hood but only enough bolts to use one. Which one should be used?

Sent from my P01MA using Tapatalk

Don7070

If someone would post a photo of the orientation of the brackets, I would appreciate it. The instructions aren't very clear.

abn373

Contributor
Loc.
Charleston, SC
Anyone know the part number to get replacement struts? I got one of these 20 years ago, and the struts are shot now, which is understandable. About 2 weeks ago my hood slammed down so hard it broke the cover for my HEI coil and I don't even have clearance issues there, normally. Glad my head wasn't in there.
I had the old fiberglass hood reinforced kit, but with rhino lining on the hood its heavier so I probably need the struts for metal hood.

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Im using BC Broncos upper strut mounts so I only need 20" shocks. Steel hoods use 70# shocks and fiberglass use 50# shocks

Steel hoods use ML34-70. They are extremely strong shocks and I would not recommend them on fiberglass even with added weight. They will bend your hood(see the curve in mine)

Fiberglass you want ML34-50. I have a fiberglass hood with Raptor Liner and they are perfect.

ldSLCQX.jpg

Last edited:

McLeod

I bought the JD steel hood strut kit last year (or so) and it came with Stabilus (AKA: Sachs) Lift-O-Matic SG229003 struts.

Rock Auto has them for less than $10 each plus shipping

They are stiff when new and would not be good for fiberglass hoods.

I will load up a pic of attachment point on inner fender

JDhoodStruts.jpg

abn373

Contributor
Loc.
Charleston, SC
Damn, neither of your setups look like even close to the same angle as mine. I will have to pull one off and measure the travel.

Thanks for the help though, fellas.

Jefe that is a really nice green. Its almost like the original green mine was in 73, but way nicer. I don't even really know what color mine was called originally.

abn373

Contributor
Loc.
Charleston, SC
Actually, Jefe, I just went out and looked and I must have the BC setup also. I know I did that mod back late 90s early 2000s. So I am thinking your part numbers will work. I have rhino on both sides of hood though. that damn hood is heavy to lift even with the struts. They always just barely held it up.

EDIT: They make a 60# strut in the ML-34 size. Seems a perfect compromise between the underpowered 50# FG and too strong 70# steel. Just ordered a pair of PRIME for $25

Attachments

• 20191212_190600.jpg
    20191212_190600.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 58
Last edited: