• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best upgrades/build ideas

8thdan

This may have been posted many different times but....first a little about me/us. I am retired from the military and on the downward sloop of building things. I have built many cars and have had the pleasure of enjoying all of them. Our most recent was a '71 F100 short bed Pro Street, 351 Aussie Head Cleveland, C-6 manual valve body, 3-step, 4-link coil over, tubbed, Crown Vic conversion. This I traded for a '74 U15 in good shape. Automatic, sport, 302, power steering and brakes. The one before Bert and the one we enjoy immensely is our Factory Five Roadster Mark II. It an older FFR but very fun. ATK crate motor, Tremec, Kenne Bell built 8.8, 3-link, four wheel Bear brakes, coil overs and adjustable arms. This car came in boxes and we built all of it to include the interior and paint.

With all of that said just to self vet, we are building twins at this time. My wife's EB is the '74 and I have a '71 to do at the same time-ish. The builds are different as she wants a daily driver and I want the nasty 408 stroker, loud, never have the top on, frightening small children and dog build.

The question to everyone is this:
What are the things, add on's, wishes you as a collective whole would add to a EB build? I am not talking about motor/suspension as I feel that is already sorted out. I am talking about; lockers, add on compressor for emergencies, cage mods, cooling such as tubular core support, inner fender delete, strengthening the frame/body, etc...

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated as the last EB I had was in 1980 and the last all wheel drive/4 wheel drive we had was a G500 which departed from us last year.

Keep in mind that fabrication is not a problem asI have access to a water jet and CNC router.

metal1

Loc.
hidesert ,socal
sounds more like you want a street rod pro street eb slammed down in the weeds. I'm saving parts for one. build it on a awd platform and it will be a rocket ;)

OP
OP
8thdan

8thdan

metal1, we already have the rocket. We are stuck on two EB's, one for my wife and one for me. Don't get me wrong, my wife is a car girl and originally wanted a 408 in hers but I convinced her that hers will be the one we drive skiing and we need as much mileage as we can get.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
For the AWD

Some 90s Cherokees had a AWD/4WD transfer case

You could run in 2 hi, 4 hi, full time 4 hi, and 4 low

The full time 4wd was nice on anything besides straight dry asphalt

Local Boy

Loc.
Mililani, Hawaii
Weclome to the Monstor Club!

8thdan - "I want the nasty 408 stroker, loud, never have the top on, frightening small children and dog build."

Now that's what I like to hear! ;)

You just described mine... ;D

The "add-on's" are really a personnel preference...

Just make sure it stays cool, idles smooth and low (@850 rpm)...

Think about exhaust! You will need to fabricate headers with larger primaries, as no one builds long tubes big enough to handle the exhaust flow...

* I could only fit 1 3/4 primaries with 3' collectors and exhaust...These allow my motor to breath and does not choke it down which would essentially kill the top end of the motor potential...
- I tried 2' and 1 7/8 tubes, but plug access was diminished preventing plug removal...

Traction bars are a necessity with high Hp (600+) set ups...

Aloha

Attachments

• IMG_2813.JPG
    IMG_2813.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_2817.JPG
    IMG_2817.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_2822.JPG
    IMG_2822.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 88

bamabaja

Contributor
Loc.
The Shoals
...build it on a awd platform and it will be a rocket ;)[/QUOTE said:
Recently saw older body Toyo truck on FJ platform, and looked real nice, for Yo-yo ! Will EB body fit or closely fit AWD frame; Explorer etc ?

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
If we are still talking about normal eb mods.....

I have done some really expensive ones and great ones...

My favorite if I am being honest with myself is not the most expensive at all.

Twin sticks for the transfer case.
Yup. Seems silly with everything else I have done, but yes twin sticks.

I fought a J-shifter for years. Should have done the twin sticks sooner. Did mine about 10 years ago but should have done it the moment I saw them.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
Twin sticks is a good, cheap upgrade. Hydroboost is an excellent mod for safety. Fuel injection (contact efiguy) is another. lockers front and rear if going off pavement. Thats a couple off the top of my head... :)

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
oh, and serpentine belt for accessories... can't believe I forgot that one. :-[

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
If we are still talking about normal eb mods.....

I have done some really expensive ones and great ones...

My favorite if I am being honest with myself is not the most expensive at all.

Twin sticks for the transfer case.
Yup. Seems silly with everything else I have done, but yes twin sticks.

I fought a J-shifter for years. Should have done the twin sticks sooner. Did mine about 10 years ago but should have done it the moment I saw them.
yep and long arms are the best mods for me right now

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
What are you building?
Hardcore off-roader?
Hardcore looking street cruiser?

Different mods for different purposes.

OP
OP
8thdan

8thdan

Sorry for the delay in responding; went on a vacation to Biloxi and Pensacola.

Saandmann3 and SteveL - I do want hydroboost on both, mine and my wifes, and need to look into it more for the best way. I have read many tech articles about it and feel as if I just need to dive into it feet first.

Sykanr0ng - my wifes build is a simple frame off '74, modular motor, AC/heated and cooled seats, family cage for safety, good cruiser for her. I have the suspension sorted (Wild Horses 3 1/2" with Bilsteins, rear hoop, sway bars, 7 degree, rubber bushings, etc... I have started rebuilding the Dana's for 4 wheel disk (hydroboost). Her truck is originally a V8, automatic, Sport.
Mine is a '71 and I want it obnoxious. Not a street cruiser and not a dirt racer...a little of both I guess. On both I want a good ride and handling characteristics. Ultimately mine will be a half cab conversion as I think they are just cool looking!

OP
OP
8thdan

8thdan

Twin sticks are a must on both and both will be an automatic. I am done with shifting. Our little AC car is a lot to handle with the ceramic disk and world Class Tremic. A lot of shifting with 3:73 gears and close ratio.