• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Taurus Fan Temp Kick On?

75Bronc

Hey guys,

I am running FiTech on a 351W. The temp sending unit is in the intake manifold and I have a 195 degree thermostat. I am installing a explorer 4.0 radiator and a Taurus fan. What temperature should the fan kick on at? I am going to let the FiTech control it. Should it kick on below the thermostat temp or above it? I assume you don't want the fan to kick on and off often.

Also, has anyone mounted a Taurus fan to an explorer 4.0 radiator? Pictures? Are they compatible with each other?

Thanks!

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
You need to check the accuracy of the FiTech temp sending unit. They are well known to register 30* below actual value.

Mark

BonezTheGoon

Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
Do I want the fan to run constantly?

That is purely a matter of opinion. I think the general idea of having an electric fan that has a thermostat is that it will only run "when needed". Depending on the application/region that might very well be constantly regardless. If you plan to have it run constantly I would either look for one without a thermostat, or look at disabling the thermostat function so that it cannot later fail and cause you issues down the road.

In my wife's 1979 Freewheeling Edition Bronco the previous owner installed an electric fan that runs constantly. It made it challenging to warm up during the cold winter mornings. I was looking into adding a thermostat into its wiring to correct that issue. Just food for thought.

Best of luck!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Electric fans don't need to run constently.
Is the fan a singe or two speed? Don't know about FiTech but the Holley lets you set both stages of cooling.
All of the OEM applications I know of the fan on temp and fan off temp are both below the thermostat value. Often they also have a speed condition added as well. The fan has a higher set of switch points if moving compared to stopped.

Running a 192 thermostat? I would probably set the fan on at 205 and off at 200. If there is a second stage, 215 and 210.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I'm running a 195 stat and Ford EFI, Per my mechanical gauge, it appears my ECM kicks the fan on at around 220 and off at about 205ish maybe 210.

I run a constant 210ish or below when moving. Once I stop the temp comes up, fan kicks on and she cools down, fan kicks off.......

I will say, the swings in temp keep my eyes glued to the temp gauge. just expect bad things I guess.

Tim