• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Insurance

LowCountryEB

Loc.
Charleston, SC
My State Farm agent states that he can only insure my Bronco for $5k or so which is a joke. For more valuable Broncos ($30k+), do you get insurance through a "antique" insurance broker or how do I go about getting insurance for what mine is really worth? Where do I find a good auto appraiser? What should I do?

gavindg

Loc.
Westlake Village
My State Farm agent states that he can only insure my Bronco for $5k or so which is a joke. For more valuable Broncos ($30k+), do you get insurance through a "antique" insurance broker or how do I go about getting insurance for what mine is really worth? Where do I find a good auto appraiser? What should I do?

I have mine insured through State Farm for $30k.
Costs about $250 per yr.
I can ask him how he classified it if you want.

OP
OP
LowCountryEB

LowCountryEB

Loc.
Charleston, SC
Man that would be great! Did you have to get it appraised or anything? My agent asked if mine had "new head liner" and other crazy questions like that as for why I thought it was worth well more than $5k. LOL

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My State Farm coverage is about the same guaranteed pay off
Get a new agent

OP
OP
LowCountryEB

LowCountryEB

Loc.
Charleston, SC
Spap-

Well, it isn't that easy. My agent has my real estate insurance as well and I live in a coastal/hurricane area which makes it difficult to obtain sometimes. What kind of documentation did you and gavindg provide your agent with to get insurance of a higher amount? And what amount do you have?

nickgp

Bronco Guru
Ditch the regular insurance company and use American Collectors, Hagerty, Grundy etc.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Do some comparison shopping, get quotes from other companies like ANPAC Chrome
Even if you stay with State Farm at least you will know what is out there.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, I heard State Farm does "classic / collector" car insurance from some guys. I went from company G to Hagerty after company G raised my rates for the third time. Hagerty has an agreed value policy and unless you put a super high value on your Bronco, you should not need an appraisal. Don't be afraid to shop around. Good luck

Tugross302

With hagarty you choose the amount you think it’s worth. If they disagree then they will appraise it. I insured one of mine for $50000 and they agreed immediately. According to my agent it was the quickest response she’d ever seen from them. Just need pictures of all four sides plus engine and interior

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My state has an agreed policy for 35k,I know what you mean. My umbrella policy is with State Farm and my other cars.
Pretty easy to get separate insurance for the truck. I think it may be different State to state

Jaxgtc

You can move all of your State Farm policies from one agent to another without changing anything or losing coverage. Your insurance is with SF, not the agent. They do have a collector car line. I have everythihing with SF but just moved the bronco to Hegarty in the fall. Just made sense for me.

1971lubr

Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
Grundy insured me at 50k, no questions asked, no appraisal needed. I came up with 50, not necessarily because that's what it would sell for but that's what it would easily cost to replace considering travel and shipping a replacement across the country.

dixieboyz13

Loc.
Johns Island
Who is your agent in Charleston? Try giving Stiles Bee a call. 843-580-8000. He's up in Hanahan, but he should be able to get it straightened out for you.

gavindg

Loc.
Westlake Village
Man that would be great! Did you have to get it appraised or anything? My agent asked if mine had "new head liner" and other crazy questions like that as for why I thought it was worth well more than $5k. LOL

I put an inquiry in to my agent. Will let you know when i hear back.
No Appraisal.

Last edited:

gavindg

Loc.
Westlake Village

No Appraisal.
It is under an Auto Policy but through their Antique/Classic Division which is where it gets its better pricing.

Hope this helps.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
Like someone mentioned it could vary from State to State .
I had my '68 insured with Allstate and they told me there was no way they would give me the actual value of it if wrecked or stolen and I should find " Collectors Insurance " . If I remember correctly they would cover liability and comprehensive - to a point .
I called and went to several " good " insurance companies and was told that they would insure it under their Collector Umbrella IF I moved all my coverage House and Auto to them . Figuring it was just as easy going to a " Collector " insurance than changing it all I went with Grundy . It's insured through them for $ 7000 more than what Allstate said " no way " on.

SDCA_BRONCO

Loc.
San Diego
Does anyone have any advice on getting insurance without having a garage to store the vehicle in? Seems like every insurance carrier requires it to be garage kept in CA.

1971lubr

Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
Does anyone have any advice on getting insurance without having a garage to store the vehicle in? Seems like every insurance carrier requires it to be garage kept in CA.
I'm pretty sure that's standard for any collector policy. That and having an insured daily driver.

Casey4wd

Loc.
Austin, Texas
How are people insuring a restomod if they intend on driving it daily (or driving it enough that collector car insurance would question the mileage)?