• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pre-formed firewall insulation

Dbarnes72

Loc.
Eastern Wa.
I'm there...........I never gave this a lot of thought but now it's time to either buy and install one of the vendor's pre-formed kit or do the B-Quiet/Dynamat etc. thing. Any strong feelings about this one way or the other? I'm not after a restored look necessarily but it it works and it's easy, I'm not against it. It does seem pretty expensive for what you're getting. I'll eventually do some type of sound mat and carpet on the floors....

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
I like the preformed pieces cause there faced with plastic and will last. But remember that to install it you need to pull the heator, and pedal assemblys, and fresh air box. I had brake fluid leak inside and destroyed mine by making it crack to shit.....and that was the day after I installed the insulator....so ya I understand your concern on cost because I have to buy and install another one someday.

doghows72

Bronco Guru
Go with the dynamat, I bought the preformed piece and had to cut the crap out of it to get it to fit. I had everything out of the bronco. Didn't fit around the gas pedal linkage or the wire harness connector. I wish it old have done the dynamat with the black backing on it. It would fit better and been easier. That's my 2c's.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
I installed the pre formed kit from JBG and it was a little tricky to install even with everything out of the way,its thick and nice but when I installed it starting at the drivers side by the time I got to the passenger side it was about a inch or 2 too short,and I double checked everything,but oh well,the under dash piece came in fairly nice,all in all it should insulate pretty good so I'm happy :cool:

Smedley

Loc.
Snohomish
Agree on fitment of preformed kit. I am installing it now. Nothing is lining up and I am having to redrill/widen holes for it to fit. SO frustrating right now. Every time I install something I have uninstall because another piece does not line up. If I could do it again, I would not choose the preformed kit.

D.R.Y.

Loc.
The Netherlands
I had the same problems as "doghaws72" Ended up throwing it away I did not like anything about it. Did not looked finished when it was in.
Would go the dyna mat route. Sure some here have had better results but that's just my opinion.

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
I've had the same experience as others, hard to make it fit and look right. On a modified Bronco I'd use the Dynamat next time.