• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1975 Denver Edition: Selling Soon

75Denver

As the title said, I'll be parting with my Denver Edition sometime in the near future. What I'm hoping to hear from you all is what you think would be a reasonable asking price. Don't shoot me in hoping for $16-18K…but then again, it's worth what someone's willing to pay.

First let's go into the back story. I bought it off the original owner out of Aurora, CO back in 2006. I bought it sight unseen going off the older gentleman's word of it being a daily driver and a "little" rust. Once it landed in my driveway, I quickly discovered it was FAR from a daily driver…maybe a driver for up and down the lane but that's it. I have a laundry list of all the work done to it just to get it back on the road but the following is a quick list:

40k on engine rebuild by PO (can't vouch for work but seems to be decent)
rebuilt c4 by a highly qualified local shop (Leveret Transmission)
t-case rebuilt
all new suspension/bushings/shocks/tires
new drum brakes/hardware/lines (hard and soft)
new steering linkage/u-joints/ball joints
new bearings/seals/hubs/etc
new gas tanks/lines/sending unit (aux not connected)
rebuilt carb (done by Competition Carburetion…linkage needs adjusted)
new upholstery

Original paint, uncut (!!!), original paperwork, and all the receipts

CONS:
RUSTY….this is where I need help! To the right guy looking to add an ultra rare Bronco (1 of 75) and has the bodywork experience, this could potentially be a sound investment. To the non-bodywork guy (myself), it's a project. I've even considered doing a body replacement to save money and time but not sure if it devalues a collector like this. The way I see it is it would still be original factory steel in new paint as opposed to replacement panels and new paint. The alternative would be cut out the rusty panels and leave the original patina exterior. Depends on how anal the next owner would be but for me, the rust bugs me.

Oh, other cons:
PS box needs rebuilt
Gauges cluster need rebuilt (lights and gauges work intermittently)

That's about it for now regarding the condition of the Bronco. I'll ad some pics of the rust at a later date but believe me when I say it needs new panels (floor pans, inner fenders, tailgate, rear bed corners, (all the typical spots)).

REFER TO MY GALLERY/GARAGE FOR PICS

mtp71174

I remember them going down the line as I remember the top of the top was blue and so where the rims and it was two tone white and orange. I remember see a lot of them going down the line.

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nice rig- probably have more credibility in the add when you decide to sell if you DON'T mention 40k spent on the engine. ;D

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Well you can always hope for the big money but when it comes down to it you may not get it. Condition is everything. That rust is a real killer and the people who do fix things up do it because they get a vehicle cheap. You really have to find that person that wants the denver edition they are out there. but there's not a lot of them. Last one I remember in better condition meaning no rust sold for around $13k. Who knows if it even wnet to someone that cared about it being a denver edition or not?
The market is not that big for a denver edition and even smaller when it needs work. Of course if it drives well that will help it sell but dont count on getting your asking price to quickly.
Of course we've all seen worse go for that kind of money all it takes is to sell to the right person.;)

OP
OP
75Denver

75Denver

So where is the rust? From your gallery pics it is not viewable . Cool truck.

Inner fenders, kick panels, floorpans, tailgate, rear bed corner (forgot tech name), quarter panel lines, and a patch on the ds front fender marker light.

I remember them going down the line as I remember the top of the top was blue and so where the rims and it was two tone white and orange. I remember see a lot of them going down the line.

When you say "a lot" roughly how many? I've read anywhere from 75-100 but then the numbers are still in discrepancy.

OP
OP
75Denver

75Denver

Well you can always hope for the big money but when it comes down to it you may not get it. Condition is everything. That rust is a real killer and the people who do fix things up do it because they get a vehicle cheap. You really have to find that person that wants the denver edition they are out there. but there's not a lot of them. Last one I remember in better condition meaning no rust sold for around $13k. Who knows if it even wnet to someone that cared about it being a denver edition or not?
The market is not that big for a denver edition and even smaller when it needs work. Of course if it drives well that will help it sell but dont count on getting your asking price to quickly.
Of course we've all seen worse go for that kind of money all it takes is to sell to the right person.;)

All great points, thank you. That's what's making the pricing difficult. I'm also torn because if you look at past sales, they did sell for less but it was during/after the economic downturn and so too were all the other Broncos. Yet, take for example todays market and the Denver Edition that's been off and on eBay because his reserve hasn't been met ($75k). I believe the highest I ever saw it go was $59k (-ish). In terms of collectiblity, it's 1 of 2 with a few non-key items. Not nocking it, it's a great Bronco and I DO NOT put mine in the same category. However, if someone were to address the body and do some clean-up paint work on the chassis/engine it would bring a real nice price on auction.

Or…do I just put it up on eBay and see what the auctioning public thinks? I hate to list it there but gone is gone. I just want to see it go to someone who appreciates the story and rarity of them.

What would value it at? I still haven't seen anyone's $$ opinion.

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru

The Money will depend on how bad the rust is. The Denver aspect does make it a bit more desirable as it is almost stroppe like-looking.

Depending on what the rust is like my guess $9000-$13000. you asked ;D

OP
OP
75Denver

75Denver

The Money will depend on how bad the rust is. The Denver aspect does make it a bit more desirable as it is almost stroppe like-looking.

Depending on what the rust is like my guess $9000-$13000. you asked ;D

Thank you. I'm really not offended. I'd even be happy at the $13-15k….though $16-18k would be better;D

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
All great points, thank you. That's what's making the pricing difficult. I'm also torn because if you look at past sales, they did sell for less but it was during/after the economic downturn and so too were all the other Broncos. Yet, take for example todays market and the Denver Edition that's been off and on eBay because his reserve hasn't been met ($75k). I believe the highest I ever saw it go was $59k (-ish). In terms of collectiblity, it's 1 of 2 with a few non-key items. Not nocking it, it's a great Bronco and I DO NOT put mine in the same category. However, if someone were to address the body and do some clean-up paint work on the chassis/engine it would bring a real nice price on auction.

Or…do I just put it up on eBay and see what the auctioning public thinks? I hate to list it there but gone is gone. I just want to see it go to someone who appreciates the story and rarity of them.

Theres your best bet put it on ebay with a reserve that your happy with then see what happens that may give you a better idea of the true market for your truck. then if it doesnt meet your reserve but does bring prices your willing to sell at then lower your reserve or just list elsewhere for the price you want.

Pricing is subjective to everyone as it can vary greatly by location so prices are hard to estimate. Also some of us just wont pay big money for a rust bucket unless it was truely valueable like a Stroope.

Theres a probably reason for that $75K reserve and a reason it hasnt sold.

overton

Loc.
Johnston, IA
1975 Bronco Denver Edition Coming Up

shapeimage_1.png

Although my thing is primarily stock survivor US Spec FJ40's, I've had quite a few Broncos. I negotiated the sale for my customer of that $75K Denver Edition in 2016 and she brought all the money. The owner has consigned her with me recently and he's looking to get his investment back and then some.

After attending BJ in Scottsdale 2018 (sold a nice Bronco there) and recently Palm Beach 2018. I could not believe how HOT the Bronco is. It's the quintessential US built vintage 4x4. I saw restomod companies with Broncos up to $400K - WOW!

It should be interesting to see if this Denver Edition has appreciated and to what degree. It's arguably the nicest Denver Edition remaining. Reported to be 1 of 77. I may take it to BaT but for now, it's posted on LCN - http://www.myfj40.com/For_Sale/75_Bronco_DEN.html

Last edited:

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Do you have close-ups of all the rust areas - inner fenders, underside and backside of rockers, door posts, rear fender seamlines, etc? How much rust is going to be the big driver in price. People get excited on some of the big asking prices but when you look at the time, money and expenses to get it that level it isn't as good as it seams.

BTW I might be interested...

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Do you have close-ups of all the rust areas - inner fenders, underside and backside of rockers, door posts, rear fender seamlines, etc? How much rust is going to be the big driver in price. People get excited on some of the big asking prices but when you look at the time, money and expenses to get it that level it isn't as good as it seams.

BTW I might be interested...

I believe that is a 4 year old post and he sold it. Ken

OP
OP
75Denver

75Denver

Thank you all for the intense responses and interest!! Unfortunately it's about 4yrs too late. I do miss that Denver but one can only have so many toys;). To ease all questions, it was a rusty ol' bird that looked AMAZING from 5-10ft away. Underneath was a different story. On to better things. Best to all on your ultra-rare hunts. They're still out there!