• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

BroncoBuilder App...v2.0 with AR!

OP
OP
blamejane

blamejane

Bronco Guru
Thank you everyone, for all of the encouragement. For those of you with droids, an Android version may be doable after I complete the IOS app.

Awesome! Can I get in on this? I'd love to have an option for my lights!

Definitely, cudos to you for thinking ahead! I want all of the vendors to get involved. ;D;D

That's pretty cool!
How 'bout a "dented" option? ;D

Love it, will add it to my list.

Could you integrate a gearing calculator ?

Added, though I'm not sure how well this will work.

I thought only jeep owners used iphones and AOL :p

c'mon, I sold the jeep! %)

Bradsp8

This is too cool. A few ideas just in case you have not thought about them and hopefully not to difficult to include.

1. Model year differences such as '77 fuel doors and also '77's different location and orientation of rear side marker lights.
2. Hubcaps such as '66, 68 and 69-77.
3. hood scoops.
4. Ability to paint separate body panels so as to be able to have a black hood or duplicate the Baja paint scheme.

ccbronco

Great job! But can you put a button that will show the network of decisions on re-doing a Bronco that leaves you at 4 years since teardown and no clear end, literally and economically, in sight?

AFLtCol

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I know you've already answered but wish you could add the sport & ranger package.

Unknown

Contributor
Val, love the concept and it could certainly be a hit. The wheels with holes could be referred to as modulars. There are endless possibilities and options. I'd really like to see interior shots with seating options, dash layout and steering wheels. Great stuff, didn't know you made apps, are you building it yourself.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Very cool!:cool:

Since we reproduce all the orignal decal styles (66 rocker, Ranger, Explorer and Special Decor), I'd love to see those added!

If you need some info such as stripe widths or something, I should be able to help. I'm not sure if the vector cutting files would help you or not?

ransil

Bronco Guru
What about a web version, building it out on a phone wuld be too small but on a 24" PC screen would be better.

Tedster100

Chairman of the Bored
This looks really cool! I believe it's BC Broncos that has the Autobiography listing all the mods, parts, donor vehicles, etc.. It has fill in the blanks for way more information than anyone could possibly fill out. You may want to contact them and see about collaborating and adding that database to your app as a joint venture. How great would it be to be able to go to the parts store and have the serial # for your ZF trans or the model and year of the donor vehicle for your EFI, shock lengths, fluid requirements, and on and on..

Can't wait to see it finished!! Nice work!

OP
OP
blamejane

blamejane

Bronco Guru
This is too cool. A few ideas just in case you have not thought about them and hopefully not to difficult to include.

1. Model year differences such as '77 fuel doors and also '77's different location and orientation of rear side marker lights.
2. Hubcaps such as '66, 68 and 69-77.
3. hood scoops.
4. Ability to paint separate body panels so as to be able to have a black hood or duplicate the Baja paint scheme.

Thanks Brad, I've added the hood scoop and I definitely think hub caps are in order. What wheels do the hub-caps go on? The painting of different body parts is a great idea, as is the baja scheme. I'm not sure if the baja scheme will be an option, like adding ranger or sport package, or if the parts should just be colored to look like a baja. Hmmm...

Val, love the concept and it could certainly be a hit. The wheels with holes could be referred to as modulars. There are endless possibilities and options. I'd really like to see interior shots with seating options, dash layout and steering wheels. Great stuff, didn't know you made apps, are you building it yourself.

I wasn't really thinking about interior options, because you can't really see them so well. But now that you mention it, it'd be fun to have another dimension, where we can zoom in and detail the inside. It'd be fun to sit in the driver's seat so-to-speak and look out the 3D bronco windows.

Very cool!:cool:

Since we reproduce all the orignal decal styles (66 rocker, Ranger, Explorer and Special Decor), I'd love to see those added!

If you need some info such as stripe widths or something, I should be able to help. I'm not sure if the vector cutting files would help you or not?

Thanks Broncitis, I was looking at your decals the other day, cuz I really like the idea of including the vinyl options. It's all about being able to customize this. So, what file formats can you provide? I have Illustrator and AutoCAD, and can pretty much import (or convert) anything so that I can use it. Let me know.

What about a web version, building it out on a phone wuld be too small but on a 24" PC screen would be better.

Love the idea of a web version, though it might need to be a PC version. Not sure, I'd have to look into it. If I make the droid version, then it should be easy to port it over to other platforms.

This looks really cool! I believe it's BC Broncos that has the Autobiography listing all the mods, parts, donor vehicles, etc.. It has fill in the blanks for way more information than anyone could possibly fill out. You may want to contact them and see about collaborating and adding that database to your app as a joint venture. How great would it be to be able to go to the parts store and have the serial # for your ZF trans or the model and year of the donor vehicle for your EFI, shock lengths, fluid requirements, and on and on..

Thanks Ted, I do need to check the history as this project matures. I hope that the details specific to the different model years can be included. I will say that I have been known to get bogged-down in details, and not in a good way ;D

Some progress...
I've been working on updating the under-carriage. I have to keep the 3D frame and other parts "blocky", in order to save on device memory. I'd love to have a high resolution model, but the technology just can't support it yet.

bronco.jpg

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
You have to charge vendors to have their products on your app. LOL. Again, can't wait to see it up and running.

Actually you should vend their product thru the app and take a commission, recurring revenue with low up front is a win-win. Are you doing all the modeling for this? vendors may have cad models which will be to spec and save you a lot of time. You should look at PhoneGap as a way to deliver it to all platforms, it's 100% web technologies that compile to the mobile platforms. You build it as a web app and compile it to a mobile app.

http://phonegap.com/
http://codehum.com/stuff/ejectagl/

I have actually thought about an app like this many times and if it where me the direction I would take it is an interactive Haynes manual where you can add animations to show how to do repairs and upgrades. I thought about designing simple animation controls so user could contribute animations, controls such as a timeline and hide this part at this time, and move this part over here, explode this part. So that way user could create and share tech simulations. How you monetize it is at any point a user can click on a part and choose to order it. As well you can sell slots to vendors to offer their performance upgrades for related repairs and allow them to offer their animation on how to do the repair with their upgrade. Anyways, I have had that idea for years but I have too many irons in the fire to ever chase that one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
blamejane

blamejane

Bronco Guru
Actually you should vend their product thru the app and take a commission, recurring revenue with low up front is a win-win. Are you doing all the modeling for this? vendors may have cad models which will be to spec and save you a lot of time. You should look at PhoneGap as a way to deliver it to all platforms, it's 100% web technologies that compile to the mobile platforms. You build it as a web app and compile it to a mobile app.

http://phonegap.com/
http://codehum.com/stuff/ejectagl/

GREAT idea for vending lowbush, that WOULD be great. Yes, I have done all of the modeling for the bronco app. Hmm, never thought to check whether or not the vendors have CAD files, another excellent idea! I don't know anything about phoneGap, but will look into it. I was just going to use Unity, though I don't have any experience with it either. Interesting, thanks so much.

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
GREAT idea for vending lowbush, that WOULD be great. Yes, I have done all of the modeling for the bronco app. Hmm, never thought to check whether or not the vendors have CAD files, another excellent idea! I don't know anything about phoneGap, but will look into it. I was just going to use Unity, though I don't have any experience with it either. Interesting, thanks so much.

Unity was going to be my other suggestion, it will keep you out of writing openGL code for it, which is nice.

OP
OP
blamejane

blamejane

Bronco Guru
Unity was going to be my other suggestion, it will keep you out of writing openGL code for it, which is nice.

Too late...

That is, the app you see in the video was written with Apple's GLKit and OpenGL 2.0. For droids however, I couldn't touch DirectX; would have to use Unity!

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Nice work Jane! Can't wait to see this finished and have it on my iphone and ipad.

Love the detail!

rockerZ71

Loc.
Lawrenceville GA
I'm not so sure that ordering parts through a link in the app would be the best way to go - I know I'd be more likely to plan stuff using something like this and then shop online from my computer. I'd build in the ability to do that but also consider stuff like offering vendor-specific product offerings like "vendor a bumper" which they pay you to include the model of in your app - and if they aren't paying and you want to have that type of part included then you don't mention the specific name or vendor for it. That way when someone puts something together they like, they are going to search for the product at that vendor's site rather than looking through all the offerings. Or maybe for something like carpet you just render black carpet in the bronco always the same but the user selects a specific carpet from a specific vendor and can see an image of that actual product installed

oh yeah and another vote for a android version

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Very cool! The wife has an Iphone, so no prob with droid for me. Would be interesting, if the vendor, say Tom's or what ever vendor is on there, when you pick or drag that option or part over, it highlights a price some where.......not sure if that's possible or even needed, just thinking out loud.

bronco 69

Loc.
Union
Thanks so much for the feedback everyone!

Crap, do I have it on the wrong side:p? The good news is none of the under-carriage is actually done. Well the frame is, but coils, shocks, etc need to be completed.

Great idea with the sport/ranger packages and I love the idea of including vintage stickers!

Unfortunately the bronco trims are way off as I've been just grabbing reference images from the web, along with using my 76 bronco (sport). For example I have chrome stuff (e.g., wing window frame, reflector bezels), over time the parts get mixed-and-matched. I'd love it if I could actually start with the actual base model parts and then offer the different trims via buttons.

Thanks, exactly what I wanted to know; what kind of things everyone is interested in. Pre-runner and plate bumpers...check. Yes, we can do chrome and painted wheels, mirrors, etc.

My husband and I thought it'd be fun to add a "rusted" option, as well as one for adding mud.

Thanks guys, keep the ideas coming...

Is this app done??

OP
OP
blamejane

blamejane

Bronco Guru
Thanks for checking on the app...

It was put on the back-burner a few months ago, and then I just forgot about it. I totally need to finish it though I think I was disappointed at the lack of actual apple device users on CB. Anyway I'm gonna bring it back to life (thanks for the reminder)!