• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

how loud is your 3spd in 1st and 2nd (67 mustang)

suckerpunched

Does your bronco 3spd make any gear noise in 1st and 2nd gear?
I have this 67 mustang I am getting ready to sell. I have never driven it more than a few miles. When I got it, it had been garaged for 25 yrs. It's in nice shape, original paint, But lots of driveability issues. Did everything to the engine except rebuild it, went through the brakes, cleaned out the gas tank. The last things I needed to do was get rid of the 30+ year old bias ply tires and fix the trans which growls like hell in 1st and 2nd (silent in high). So I spent most of the day pulling the trans and disassembling it only to find out theres nothing wrong with it. I am pretty sure its the same as the bronco trans i tried to give away for about a year and scrapped it because no one would take it.
So now what? put it back together? I do have a couple top loader 4spds laying around, which would be alot better, but the car it otherwise original. maybe it doesnt really matter. anyone have any input.

Attachments

• phpjR0zqnPM.jpg
    phpjR0zqnPM.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
Can you feel or hear anything at all when turning clean bearings close to your ear? It might be worth a listen with a mechanic's stethoscope. The tiniest bit of bearing roughness can translate into noise. Since it's 1st & 2nd, it seems likely it is related to the countershaft, or between input & output shafts, but the added side loads of those gears might increase noise from any of the bearings.

My sister has a 65 289 3 speed that she got in about 77. It always had a growl in 1st, even back then. I don't remember about 2nd, but it's been a long time since I drove it last. I don't think anyone ever figured out what the issue was, but it never gave her any tranny problems other than the noise.

As for swapping it, I suppose it really depends on the buyer that no one knows yet. A driver might prefer the top loader. A restorer would want the original parts. If you decide to swap it out, be sure to include the stock one in the sale, & let the buyer know that the resale value later on is higher if that trans stays with the car. It would be good to keep those original parts together.

Are both trannies the same length? Would you have to modify the driveshaft to run the top loader?

So, no real answers here. At least it's a bump.

OP
OP
suckerpunched

suckerpunched

my understanding is that nothing changes, just the trans. driveline and hole in the floor are the same. If I have to modify something, I wont change it. As far as the 3 spd goes, I thought for sure I would find something wrong with bearings on the counter shaft. I will look at them again, may just put in new at this point if I decide to stay with the 3spd. I have not yet unstacked the mainshaft to look at those bushings. Feels perfectly smooth on the bench. I dont think there are bearings there, It sure sounded like rough bearings to me.

OP
OP
suckerpunched

suckerpunched

el kabong, thanks for your input by the way. And now I am thinking about side load. Do think its possible the mainshaft bearings on the input and output shafts could be quiet in high and noisy in 1st and 2nd when you add the side load factor?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'd put the 3sp back in it. Save the toploaders you'll get more money selling them by themselves. Some toploaders in different cars had different lenght tail shafts and shifter mounting locations so there can be slight differances in fit. So bolt in is not always bolt in.

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
I've been thru a few transmissions, but am not an expert by any means. It just seems like it would increase side loads in 1st & 2nd.

d.c.parris

Loc.
cumming ga.
sounds like the thrust washers on the cluster gear are worn out also maybe the needle bearings in the cluster. the cluster is the first and second gear counter shaft gears.

OP
OP
suckerpunched

suckerpunched

The cluster gear, bearings, shaft, thrust washers and end play all look good as new. The input bearing is a little rough, and i do mean a little. almost not noticeable before washing out the oil, but very noticeable when clean and dry. So I think I am going to change the front and rear mainshaft bearings and keep my fingers crossed.