• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Red Label 68 4.6 Terminator Powered Bronco

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
Bronco as possible. Plus slapping in the cross members, already having bolt holes, and locations for somethings is going to make it go a lot faster.

Makes sense that's what I thought you were doing, pretty cool I like what your doing there the motor is way out to lunch but they way your making it all work is neat. trying to keep it all bronco that is, buggy's are cool but broncos that go where buggy's go is cooler.

SeanPlunk

Hey Everyone,

I saw this thread on SVTP and thought it was so interesting I had to register here to show some support. Houseofdiesel do you live anywhere in Southern California by chance? If you ever go to any local car shows or anything I'd love to see your Bronco in person. Anyway, I look forward to watching your progress. Good luck!

Sean

OP
OP
houseofdiesel

houseofdiesel

Makes sense that's what I thought you were doing, pretty cool I like what your doing there the motor is way out to lunch but they way your making it all work is neat. trying to keep it all bronco that is, buggy's are cool but broncos that go where buggy's go is cooler.

The motor spent two years in here. I never had a problem with it cause we went through it during the build. I'm going to go through it again though to make some more power now that I've tested the setup, injectors, head studs, pulleys, and turbo boring. Hopefully I can get it to 350-400 RWHP. But ya the hole buggy thing is a big part of why I took it apart and decided to combine the two vehicles. Even though it was all Ford it had no soul. As you can see from the pick though the wheel base ended up being a little too long even for the 42"s that were on it. With the wheel base in the 95"-99" range it will be a lot easier to carry obstacles.
img_8923.jpg

So back to the project. I was really knocking the steering around in my head for a while and spent half the day surfing the net reading article after article and going from company to company trying to find the strongest dependable setup. To my surprise I wound up buying a new set of outer knuckles. So here's what I ordered and here's the plan.

Currie Dana 60 Outer knuckles and High Steer Arms
Ballistic Fabrication Crossover Steering Ball Joint Kit.

I forgot to order new body mounts but Wild Horse is only two hours away so I should have them by Thursday any ways, so I can still finish setting up the steering, front crossmember, and cutting out the existing frame by the end of the weekend. I'm going to use a piece of 2" DOM and tie it into a steering box plate and a matching plate on the passenger side for the front.

OP
OP
houseofdiesel

houseofdiesel

Hey Everyone,

I saw this thread on SVTP and thought it was so interesting I had to register here to show some support. Houseofdiesel do you live anywhere in Southern California by chance? If you ever go to any local car shows or anything I'd love to see your Bronco in person. Anyway, I look forward to watching your progress. Good luck!

Sean

I live in San Jose area, but I plan on having her done to debut her at the 25th Fabulous Fords at Knotts Berry.

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
any plans for hydro? I was am going with the ballistic gm one ton tro with my big bronco steering box and this setup will be upgraded later on to a PSC single end ram.

OP
OP
houseofdiesel

houseofdiesel

any plans for hydro? I was am going with the ballistic gm one ton tro with my big bronco steering box and this setup will be upgraded later on to a PSC single end ram.

CNC Hydro Assist and PSC Bronco Rock Crawler Box w/ Hydrolic Assist.

Bundy

Bronco Guru
such an awesome build! i can't wait to see it at FFF 2010!

hey SeanPlunk, you are on OCHP aren't you? i had a stang and hung out a couple of times...

OP
OP
houseofdiesel

houseofdiesel

sounds sweet that box is way cool any reason for that one and not full hydro, sorry to pester you with so many questions.

Man your not pestering. If I didn't enjoy the feed or was scared of peoples criticism I wouldn't post my stuff.

Wanted as little beef with the patrol as possible. I love full hydro but taped boxes and assist work just as well if it's laid out right, just more crap. I debated and searched hard for a couple of weeks through everything from Superduty boxes to full hydro but once I found out they made a Bronco/Extreme Rock Crawling I was sold. I'm trying to use some of the best of the best Bronco stuff on the market that isn't outrageously priced, makes sense, and is engineered for us Ford guy to withstand maximum abuse.

yfz450sew

That thing is gonna get up and go when you get it all put together, I have an 03 Cobra with a Whipple on top that makes 558 horsepower to the tires and has a pancake flat torque curve. I am gonna keep an eye on this build for sure.

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
cool dude is this thing gonna see pavement other than from the trailer to the trail head? I know the CHP wasn't to happy about my old boggers sticking about 8-10 inches outside my fenders.

OP
OP
houseofdiesel

houseofdiesel

cool dude is this thing gonna see pavement other than from the trailer to the trail head? I know the CHP wasn't to happy about my old boggers sticking about 8-10 inches outside my fenders.

Hell ya. My poor FJ45 might never get driven again.

OP
OP
houseofdiesel

houseofdiesel

Update 1/7/10

Ok, so while I was looking at body mounts on the Wild Horse sight and found saw the 1" body lift I decided to buy them to see if they might help me out a bit and create some breathing room. I hate body lifts and consider it totally cheating, but for setting up the three link, it allowing me to get more separation out of my links and mount the top link slightly above the frame. So we got the other frame rail tucked up and tacked. As for the front crossmember and steering setup I have to wait for the outer knuckles and high steer arms from Currie and the drag link and tie rod from Ballistic.

The other pics are of where we are tucking the alternator up and in to create more room for the steering on the driver rail. I am completely eliminating the lower bracket that the secondary main pulley and alternator mounted to. The main pulley is a weird 4 piece setup that uses a bearing in the center of the bracket to keep it spinning true. So I'm going to have a friend machine me a one piece aluminum one that will screw directly to the crank pulley. I have 10.7 pounds to work with so every ounce I save will be a bonus not to mention the lost drag. It's all working out kinda nice. Only other things to work out is moving and mounting one tension pulley and a lower bracket for the alternator.

Oh and if anyone wants the cage PM me. I'm going to make a hole new setup to tie in the body tubing and rear shock mounts. It's fully powder coated.

RedLabel1710011.jpg

RedLabel1710013.jpg

RedLabel1710017.jpg

RedLabel1710024.jpg

RedLabel1710002.jpg

RedLabel1710003.jpg

RedLabel1710008.jpg

OP
OP
houseofdiesel

houseofdiesel

Update 1/12/10

Well took the charger off and sent her out to Steg's to get ported and cut out the rear section to start welding in saddles while waiting for the outer knuckles and steering components. The front crossmember is going to tie into the Steering box plate so I have to wait for that stuff before I start drilling and cutting. Oh well there is plenty of plating to do in the new sections and the rest of the parts should be here tomorrow anyways.

The inside of the motor looks like things have been holding up just fine but for some reason all of the intake plenum bolts on the driver side rail were sheared and the passengers were bent. Luckily no damage on the inside though. Oh well here are some pics of the progress.

RedLabelBuild11109001.jpg

RedLabelBuild11109013.jpg

RedLabelBuild11109016.jpg

RedLabelBuild11109020.jpg

RedLabelBuild11109026.jpg

RedLabelBuild11109032.jpg

OP
OP
houseofdiesel

houseofdiesel

Sometimes it's nice just bolting stuff on and not having to worry about anything. The Currie outer knuckles and high steer arms went on smooth. It's nice that some people realize that for so many of these axles being available for cheap what a great platform they make for a built trail rig. Also finished up the saddles. I'm going to weld plates on the top also, but I'm going to let my son cut and weld them in for experience, since they are just added support and no one will ever see them once the floor is welded back up. Things are looking good. Looks like the links might come out a little shorter than I'd hoped but I really want to keep the wheel base under 100" if I can, so it is what it is. Hope to have all the steering set up by tomorrow night so I can have the motor, trans, and t-case back in by the weekend and start laying out links, motor mounts, and trans/t-case crossmember. Have to keep up the pace, so that I have plenty of time to get the chassis painted, before starting on the cage, sliders, and body armor. So here's the pics:

RedLabel11310002.jpg

RedLabel11310007.jpg

RedLabel11310005.jpg

RedLabel11310006.jpg

OP
OP
houseofdiesel

houseofdiesel

Update 1/23/10

Making crossmembers, and getting ready to start mounting link brackets. Looked at a lot of different brackets and thought about making my own but I really like the Poly Performance High Clearance brackets and rear truss. My only issue with all the parts I ordered was, I ordered all the brackets first cause I wasn't sold on buy or building a rear truss. Poly's is reall clean and way beyond what I have time to build so I went with theirs. Only problem is all the brackets I ordered came in pieces so I can modify them slightly to get my angles right but ordered the brackets at 10 degrees. Well I got the truss and the whole thing is welded up and the perches are angled at like 45 Degrees, ?????? There weren't even any options for more than a 15 Degree angle on any of their brackets so I don't understand why they weld the truss with such extreme angles. Crap I'd need to mount this thing on my Superduty to run those kind of angles. So I'm going to have to open it up and modify it a bit but it should still come out looking way clean. As for the crossmembers, motor area is cool everythings laying out nice. I'm going to gusset all of the upper arms of the cross member. Only thing without enough clearance is headers, but I was planning on having some custom ones made to dump them out the fender wells anyways. I'm going to have to angle or move the steering wheel an inch or so to get a better angle at the box and clear the valve covers some more. Pitman arm is coming out nice. I have a buddy coming over to TIG it this week, I don't feel like learning on something so important. Blower should be back from porting sometime this week so I'll be running some floor pan and strips this week so I can pull the motor and start closing up the fire wall and floor, while my Jim cleans up the motor. Between the floor, tunnel, and link brackets I've got my work cut out for me for the next couple weeks. Man I wish Ford would redesign the modular motor to be a little more modular on what it'll fit in. Damn this thing is wide. Length wasn't much of an issue. Once I widened the frame it allowed me to drop the motor in where I didn't even realy need to cut so much of the firewall out, though it will be nice to have a clean place to mount all the electrical and ECM.

RedLabel12210001.jpg

RedLabel12210003.jpg

RedLabel12210016.jpg

RedLabel12210009.jpg

RedLabel12210010.jpg

RedLabel12210013.jpg

RedLabel12210011.jpg