• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help identify some wires??

Jfryjfry

I have the harness out while the truck is getting painted and am going through it to clean it up and fix any questionable stuff. I’m sure there are worse ones out there, but his one has had some funny stuff. I’ve de-funnies most of it but have a few misc wires that I can’t identify. They, to the best of my knowledge, were not hooked up. They are all on the harness behind the dash:

I just realized the forum doesn’t support uploading pics.... so I’ll describe and can email or text them to anyone who might be willing to take a look!

One is a purple wire with a rectangle black connector on the end.

One is a yellow with black tracer that has a large round connector. I have a brown wire that is plugged into it and is just cut. But don’t know if that’s the right one.

Last is a black with blue tracer that has a round plug on the end.

I believe the last is for interior lights... which brings me to my last question.
I have two interior lights under the dash that join into one round connector. There is a connector plugged in with two black with blue tracer wires coming off and just cut. I don’t have (or can’t find) any matching cut black/blue wires on the harness.
Is it supposed to plug into the black/blue plug? Maybe someone plugged an extra plug into it...
The only weird part is the wires that go to the lights are thicker than the single black/blue wire that has an empty plug.

Pictures would definitely help here I know....
Anyone have any thoughts?? Tia!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If we don't come up with the answers right off, you can e-mail them to me if you want. Just PM me and we can exchange e-mails. Unless you can figure out how to e-mail with pics through the site!
I know some can do it, as I've received images that way before. I just don't know how to do it myself.

Oh, and what year is the Bronco?

...They are all on the harness behind the dash:

One is a purple wire with a rectangle black connector on the end.

Regular push-on connector? Sounds like the proof-out wire for the dash mounted Brake Warning Lamp. Could it have been Pink w/white stripe at one point?
Should slide on to a matching connector on the side of the ignition switch. Not at the main connector, but literally sticking out the side of the switch body.

One is a yellow with black tracer that has a large round connector.
I have a brown wire that is plugged into it and is just cut. But don’t know if that’s the right one.

Yellow w/black is Radio Power.
Only Brown wire under the dash that I know of is Heater Power. Runs to the center terminal on the back of the heater fan switch.
Not sure if it's spliced into the radio power or not, but I highly doubt it, due to the interference a heater motor could cause.

Last is a black with blue tracer that has a round plug on the end.
I believe the last is for interior lights...

Yes, it should be for the "map light" or "courtesy light" that was an option on Broncos.
All of them got the wire, but only a few ordered the actual lamp option.
As far as I know though, the option included only one lamp. Not two.
But a PO could easily have gotten another one and added it. A good way to do it I think.

... which brings me to my last question.
I have two interior lights under the dash that join into one round connector. There is a connector plugged in with two black with blue tracer wires coming off and just cut. I don’t have (or can’t find) any matching cut black/blue wires on the harness.
Is it supposed to plug into the black/blue plug? Maybe someone plugged an extra plug into it...
The only weird part is the wires that go to the lights are thicker than the single black/blue wire that has an empty plug.

What do the lights look like? They may be aftermarket.

Paul

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
You can find the sockets for the under dash courtesy lights on the early Mustang parts vendor sites, they were a part common to both.
I do not think I have seen them on any early Bronco vendor site.

OP
OP
J

Jfryjfry

You guys are great. I reached out to paul, and bet he is right about the radio wire.

Is it simply an accessory hot wire??

I don’t think the pink has a tracer but I will look again!

And I will get pics of the interior lights to send to see if they look like aftermarket/add-one.

There were a few wiretaps used for the ashtray light and the two interior lights that I removed. I just like the wiring to be neat and tidy :)

And it is a ‘72. Should have remembered to include that!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think all the wires are basically following the normal path. But the Brown wire that's plugged into one of the map light wires is a strange one. Almost looks like a resistor wire, but hard to tell.

Here are the pics. If anyone sees anything that looks unusual, or if you have something to add that might help figure it out, please add your thoughts.
I'm thinking the longer map lights were aftermarket (or at least Ford dealer supplied) vs the rusty short one, which looks like the factory Bronco map light.

image1 (Large).jpg image2 (Large).jpg
image3 (Large).jpg image4 (Large).jpg
image5 (Large).jpg

Thanks for any additional comments.

Paul