• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Must have tools for a Noob

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Some simple advice from a friend who with his wife owns and runs our local 4x4 shop: "It is easier to hit something gently with a big hammer than it is to hit something hard with a little hammer." I now grab a 5 lber for anything that has to be hit and ramp up how hard I swing it.

I've used Kroil, PB-Blaster, Marvel, 3:1, WD-40, GM Heat Lubricant and Penetrating Oil, and any number of other magic juices. The GM stuff was the best by far, but is NLA. PB comes close. MISF just gave me a can of something he says is better than PB and has no smell like PB does. Were it that I could recall its name.....

For lubing stuff like door and hood hinges I like Maxima M/C chain wax. Goes on liquid, dries to a non-sticky waxy film. I use that stuff all over the place.

Prybars, the HF set is OK, but for a big'n I really like the Mayhew that I got from OSH.

1/2" Breaker bar: anything shorter than 24" is a waste of time and too much effort. Spend money on a good one.

charlie6976

Loc.
Grand Coulee WA
Handy things.
Package of light weight gloves.
Short adjustable stool with wheels.
Knee pads.
Creeper.
Two trouble lights.
Four aluminum jack stands. For under the axles. I need light weight things.
At least two high jack stands.
An engine hoist. Can be used to lift the front or rear of your Bronco then put jack stands or/and blocking under the frame for safety.
A good shop vac. Get an extra hose or two so you don't have to drag it around.
Two or three fire extinguishers.
I think you all should have a water based/air pressure extinguisher (I don't have one:(). Use around welding/cutting work. Not messy. Use to put out fires or cool hot metal. When empty, just add water and compressed air. The bad- around $100.00 +/-. One time cost, but always there if you fill it.
An air compressor. Look at your future needs. Are you going to run air tools, paint, blow out dirty parts.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Not too many in the bronco. Around town I might have a couple screwdrivers and some plyers. I also carry a jump starter and tow strap. In the past few years I've used the strap once and jump starter quite a bit on other people's cars. People alway go to the guy with the old car first when theirs is dead.