• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

2019 Herd of Broncos in Baja Adventure

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
With respect to long range communication and safety.......

When we arrived at San Felipe a group of dirt bikers were in the parking lot and told us that they had just located one of their group that had been separated and lost for 30 hours. When they found him he was already dehydrated and had tried walking back, unsuccessfully. Luckily they found him before things turned worse.

I wonder if that water fuel separator could have also helped with dirty fuel ?

As has been covered already, one of our group had multiple fuel injectors fail and I have to believe it was from fuel.

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
I'm in if there is another trip. It's a bucket list thing for me.

Bax is going !! I am IN !!!

make it a full 2 weeks !!! include at least 2-3 off days !

( add Bill and Randy aka Tasker to the convoy and we might not be visiting some of the churches and ruins ... some of us cant hang that good w. the big Players !!! ;D

6 days for us to get there and back ....+ 14 days of epic fun ...3 weeks vacation !!!

OH HELL YES !!

Franko

Bax ..... lets take the Racer !!!

Last edited:

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Bax is going !! I am IN !!!

make it a full 2 weeks !!! include at least 2-3 off days !

( add Bill and Randy aka Tasker to the convoy and we might not be visiting some of the churches and ruins ... some of us cant hang that good w. the big Players !!! ;D

6 days for us to get there and back ....+ 14 days of epic fun ...3 weeks vacation !!!

OH HELL YES !!

Franko

Bax ..... lets take the Racer !!!

I was thinking the rally bronco would be a great idea. But the street legal issue has to be addressed. They drove on roads in the USA and mexico. I think street legal is a must. But the racer is the most reliable bronco I own. Run hard for years. Output shaft on the 20 is the only real issue. We got time to build the 71. Hell it's 90% now. I want to do this.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I don't think street legal is a issue in Mexico. You would be amazed at the things you see driving around.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I don't think street legal is a issue in Mexico. You would be amazed at the things you see driving around.

Phil, I have never crossed the border. You all drove over the border. I would think the US side would check for legal vehicles on the way back into the US ?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
You could trailer it in and out.
Phil, I have never crossed the border. You all drove over the border. I would think the US side would check for legal vehicles on the way back into the US ?

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
One thing you MUST have which I haven't seen mentioned so far is Mexican liability insurance. I've never seen any indication anyone is checking for street legal rigs however if you are going to drive from the US side it would have to be street legal in the US. For NORRA, all the vehicles and trailers have to be titled with correct and current registration to cross the border. Not sure how much that's a Mexico or NORRA requirement.

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
[/COLOR]

I was thinking the rally bronco would be a great idea. But the street legal issue has to be addressed. They drove on roads in the USA and mexico. I think street legal is a must. But the racer is the most reliable bronco I own. Run hard for years. Output shaft on the 20 is the only real issue. We got time to build the 71. Hell it's 90% now. I want to do this.

getting it registered in FL should not be that difficult ?!?!?

AT Baja it would right at home ...and I know you wana haul axx in it !

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
One thing you MUST have which I haven't seen mentioned so far is Mexican liability insurance. I've never seen any indication anyone is checking for street legal rigs however if you are going to drive from the US side it would have to be street legal in the US. For NORRA, all the vehicles and trailers have to be titled with correct and current registration to cross the border. Not sure how much that's a Mexico or NORRA requirement.

Mex liability Insurance, titles, registrations is a Mex requirement. Get in an accident and don’t have minimum Mex requirements for liability? You go to jail. Phil is correct - trailer it across both ways. Once in Mex, everything is street legal - as long as it’s got liability ins.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Bukin 67

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
It's important to note that before purchasing a VHF radio, be sure it has 136-174MHz frequency range. That's standard for some radios, but for others, it's an upgrade.

It's awesome to see you on the list Franko!

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I agree as well, and was curious about the filter too. Just like a boat set-up.

I've been running those marine water-separating fuel filters on all of my rigs for 25 years. It's amazing how few fuel issues I've had. ;)

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
It's important to note that before purchasing a VHF radio, be sure it has 136-174MHz frequency range. That's standard for some radios, but for others, it's an upgrade.

It's awesome to see you on the list Franko!
That is the MARS/CAP modification. mods.dk lists how to do the mod for a LOT of radios.

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
Q: .... since this is in the fall of next year !
Any objections showing up w. the new 2020 bronco ?

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru

What about using a marine VHF? That's from roughly 156 to 162 MHz. What frequencies are you using most of the time? I do have some hand-helds that cover the 136-174 range...but have a shelf full of the marine radios.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
What about using a marine VHF? That's from roughly 156 to 162 MHz. What frequencies are you using most of the time? I do have some hand-helds that cover the 136-174 range...but have a shelf full of the marine radios.

The frequencies that we use in the 'race radios' are in the 150-155 MHz range - just below the marine VHF range.

Todd Z.

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Soo, along the radio line, what is considered the best 50W VHF brand and model? Kenwood, Vertex, Motorola, etc. Ground plane or non GP antennae?

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Anything from Icom, Yeasu, or Vertex would be OK in my book. The later Kenwoods are supposedly good too, but I'm gun-shy after dealing with the 261A and have no exerpience with them. The Icom V8000 used to be the default radio for chase crews. I've kinda been out of that scene for a couple years but I understand the Yeasu FT-2980R is now that or nearly so.

Something about VHF mobiles & HT's that should not be overlooked: remote programming. This can take two forms; A) a program on a lap-top that looks like an Excel Spreadsheet coupled with a comms cable to download the program into the radio; B) radio to radio program cloning done with a simple cable. If the Kenwood TM-261A's had had either of these features perhaps I wouldn't hate them so much. Programming them manually was very painful, and one stupid button push could destroy all or part of the programming! The cloning is a useful feature in the field. Got a radio with a messed-up program? Easy to fix, the procedure usually works like this: Turn off both a 'good' radio and the 'bad' radio, connect the clone cable to both radios, Turn on the 'good' radio, turn on the 'bad' radio & watch its display. Shortly it will indicate re-programming complete. We've done it to the race truck's radio in well under 5 mins in the middle of a race.
Can buy both the programing program and it's comms cable and the cloning cable, but if you look into it you can probably make the cloning cable for less. In the case of the V8k the programming & cloning cables plug into the remote speaker jack and use the outer and middle conductors only. 25' of Cat-5e cable (using only one twisted pair) and two 3.5mm jacks makes a cloning cable for those.

It is good to also make up a laminated frequency list along with instructions on how to dial in to that or one of those freqs and hand one of these out to everyone, vets and nooB's alike. Then should someone's radio get completely messed up they still have a chance at being able to call out. This is what drives my suggestion that any nooB's be directed to one particular make & model radio. So that there will be others who can fix the problem if they can't.
Consider designating a main comms freq and one or more chat freqs to keep the main clear for group needs. Really frustrating to try to call out "Hey, I'm over-heating" to the group when two guys are just BSing and hogging the freq. The chase crew that I used to work with had a 3 ring binder handed out for every Baja race that had all of the info anyone could ever need to know about that particular trip in it. Itinerary, Radio freqs, GPS coords for absolute stops and possible stops, some specific situation formalities (asking for the "weather" when trying to pass a slow vehicle that part of the group has passed), race course map, etc., etc., etc.

I've only ever seen NMO type antenna bases used in desert racing, so those are what I buy. I tend to buy No Ground Plane (NGP) antennas so that they'll work anywhere, and as a bonus they have gain when I can supply a ground plane. However a month ago I talked to the weatherman at a race in Spangler Hills OHV area near Ridgecrest from Lone Pine with a V8k and an NGP antenna on a short mast (to get it above the roof of our pop-top camper) with no ground plane, in Simplex! Google maps says by road that is 94 miles, straight line it is still well over 75 miles. Comms were clean and clear, with a normal squelch setting.

Lately I've been buying coax from West Marine because the cable they sell has a multi-strand center conductor and I'm finding that this stands up to mobile use better than single strand center conductor coax. I suspect that in absolute terms multi-center strand coax is poorer performing than single center strand coax, but I'm not seeing it in my tuning and use.

stop me before I type too much.......

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Second the recommendation on the FT-2980R. We use the FT-2900, which was its predecessor, in our chase trucks and our race truck in NORRA. It's proven to be a very reliable and rugged choice. I did the MARS/CAP mod on all of them and programmed them manually. Their speakers are good enough that external speakers are not needed. I found the FT2980R online for $139.95 so it's very affordable.

Todd Z.