• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

2019 Herd of Broncos in Baja Adventure

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
This year was such a fun and successful trip for the herd, I'm looking at doing this next year! Please chime in on your thoughts and suggestions.

Some ideas and suggestions I have:

* Hopefully CoachBarnes will be interested in doing another trip and also be willing to take on another lead role in the planning of the trip. He got an A+ this year, so I think that's all I need to say about that!
* How does October sound? I plan on racing the NORRA 1000 next year, so doing the trip the week after I get home from that would be out of the question for me.
* Number of Broncos in the 2019 herd: Same? Less? More? 2 Groups?
* Route: Less dirt? More dirt? The same? I thought the overall route this year was excellent. It may seem like a rerun to anyone going again, but it really covered a lot of different terrain and scenery. Tents @ Solo Sports again?
* Time frame: It's already a week and a half. What if we made it 2 weeks to allow an extra day here and there, like the 2 day stay at Loreto. some of the resorts were too awesome to leave after 1 night! I realize many need additional days for travel time, so adding additional days to the adventure may not be possible for them. We could meet Sat. instead of Friday and return Fri instead of Tue.

Thoughts?

SaFUfSuU6fK7cw7Xydb12MMHgFA6JsgvF3OLLZZbFAVE0DEsEKnkEfsih9rYbCotNK7dIZ9uPCo6E1INt_IgXVFTcRqB4JkvG0p3PG0zACsvkQwqW9ZO6_g6isQs0nerwFXv3E2hMhEg0dEFLVJqWO2VJ5lJwVuHL6V2BZPoUGMHX1cf5sHMhdhVsbGTgsJ0Q8RzRn1wtV4RMYV8_S9My0gkZvMkzezvQStn8MNPQ1BIFMSkeNF-7L7K8j25j1NQfLCO9XIgmfsp_1Xri_F38xGlaJDpXaHKJBB8cvuswIqMSD8YIPwjNWTbvReBeSGZCE03rLK7CoPFX_NVrjIwG0TzMoa6jq8LSGreVpU-ymcYQezQAI7_qwzfvukQn43UkvZsaw0BNvRXSEXth0yAMIlEli294-QdHUZF1OIDcofhcBupfOte_rgNDByCxJpm-wMlHosm819V0S-CuqqQkg-RK17v2pSOzBDaudIX8cA1zLttxUpUdWO3m7I-isSE0INkKDOfBrpCUuqaaIVG6u5RvTvZTcX-tQVsGvOtan9ZCuSuA3K6zIqVXhpYXKMAtLsi1ycEjfMuuvtY9HdUfUGjE8qHYHpqaJurWKM=w1266-h949-no

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
This year was such a fun and successful trip for the herd, I'm looking at doing this next year! Please chime in on your thoughts and suggestions.

Tents @ Solo Sports again?

May have missed it, sorry, any pics of the set up inside the tents?

Those looked pretty cool, sturdy

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Im in for the next trip. I just need to know when so i can plan. Im pretty sure Franko is in for the next one also. I think keeping the trip the same length and quality is the way to go. But if you vaterans of tbis years think maybe extending a night stay at one or more places maybe we can do that and delete one or two of the side trips to make up that time. I get three weeks off at a time and can maybe stretch that a few days.

As far as what to include or take out. U me tiond th solo sport tent night. What was that like? Pics of inside the tents? Shower and restroom facilities and other solo sport pics? Maybe a bunch of pics of all the places that yall stayed and a list of the good and bad at each so we can make an informed plan.

Keep me in the loop ;)

Chuck

HB73

Im in for the next trip. I just need to know when so i can plan. Im pretty sure Franko is in for the next one also. I think keeping the trip the same length and quality is the way to go. But if you vaterans of tbis years think maybe extending a night stay at one or more places maybe we can do that and delete one or two of the side trips to make up that time. I get three weeks off at a time and can maybe stretch that a few days.

As far as what to include or take out. U me tiond th solo sport tent night. What was that like? Pics of inside the tents? Shower and restroom facilities and other solo sport pics? Maybe a bunch of pics of all the places that yall stayed and a list of the good and bad at each so we can make an informed plan.

Keep me in the loop ;)

Chuck
A popup tent with an air matress inside. Drip bag showers, interesting toilets. Cool location, but personally I wouldn't want to go back.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Definitely have my attention. I could easily have the '76 in worthy form by then, if properly motivated.

;)

OP
OP
Bukin 67

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
A popup tent with an air matress inside. Drip bag showers, interesting toilets. Cool location, but personally I wouldn't want to go back.

That's exactly what they were. Picture an empty pup tent, add a thin mattress and sleeping bag and you have it. Below is a pic of some of them from the outside.
If the sentiment is to skip the stay at Solo Sports, we could do our own 'tent night'. We could bring our own and save a chunk of change, but we would be stuck having to BBQ on the beach that night. What a bummer ;D

Bh2RvcOpwHQJpXRzSmUhoLJ2T6fUyTH1PA6DJ776NQ3FlkqQp3ad5cg-hvltEBJ6R0Q9dqFvpsFmNGsPWy9v8tsdxmln87uqPVd9x7E4YtsrSUeGw6aFCtIJ8Kt5WrExPtOFEl0IF5_o8tN0uurZrJuXB6OuPHA6Ob77zwKBPIYQBBqLr99GKyc9rz4DJ2PnfRgApCDsTgcy-36llYfe5_5Mm5qK9EqOpoB1BN6rtmUyUDRJwSGwkJAUrJePXjh8btvU6b5YC9OnCIMqFP2xYSux-xWDPxTGa0FqtzEgtHhvNw026qmRkYu8sxB-22ixEbf6zkf4UjC3Ph-bzNgdantvI2etDvCJPbNzdyIOXdUysdai4lz4yDhDMnDLD96NEjzl9t0FG03jD-0uCcwejnq_gDT4-L2ZuQtTb7fXcj0a9j0h8TUiPgzjKUTZYpNj6qklqjzqgMjNBW2JWMLhDuCF41t8wQXr2MWt-Cdas6hw2qSoVPdR3maVDX8kx9lRWemwGjZTGpz2ouucer1mLKJcPTOA-LpXzf5K3n8GANr87vZYgwpnK0vhAXijXO8ShzW5CqMXtw8Uz_aXhllg9jW3n0DroQH4Fu6bf1E=w1266-h949-no

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hey Randy,

I will float this by the boss. Not sure how practical it will be for us; but, I'll put out the feelers.

I agree about Scott... always great at planning and execution. It would be great if he would be part of your adventure.

October should be a great month... still pretty warm, but, not blazing hot. I think that would be a good time to go. Maybe even some nice cool mornings.

I'll be following your thread.

Take Care,

Jeff

landshark99

Bronco Guru
I definitely have some feedback and suggestions based on my experiences as do a number of us. However, I need some time to "decompress" as I am currently at work and haven't had a chance to even unpack or go through all my photos/videos. With that being said, I know you will have a ton of input from the group that went but here are some high level suggestions:

• Chase vehicle w/trailer of some sort an absolute must.
  • If you add more dirt, less broncos - 5 or 6 max
  • If you add more road - 10 -12 max but your not going to be traveling quickly, fuel and food stops eat time as do little stops to fix "something is loose" or "something is making noise" or to do repairs etc..
  • You could split the groups with one doing more dirt - one doing more road but then logistics are a big factor
  • with 11 of us, it made for some very very long days even when when the majority of the day was on pavement
  • It would be nice to have 2 lay over days to appreciate the locations and recover, being in the bronco literally all day as you know is draining - at least for 10 days on the road.
  • Try to avoid Guerrero Negro as an overnight stop
  • Solo sports was cool, but I wouldn't necessarily say its a must do. I think there are alternatives that would be much more fun - ie. Camp somewhere along the coast ourselves.
  • With the above camping suggestion - it would be great to have a few night of camping on the beach or other one of a kind areas and add in a hotel the day after to "clean and refresh". Would be more fun and promote the group collective better than a resort in some aspects.
  • If you have a high compression ratio engine or have to run premium then you better be prepared to bring allot of octane booster or buy as much of the good stuff as you can along the way.
  • know your rig inside and out - nobody else will
  • Broncos have to be sorted with absolutely nothing left to chance. That one thing that you forgot or didn't do or service will be the one thing Baja eats up... it will find your weakness.

I would definitely be in to run it again or even to help out, look forward to ideas and feedback from others.

Last edited:

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I'm in if there is another trip. It's a bucket list thing for me.

OP
OP
Bukin 67

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
I definitely have some feedback and suggestions based on my experiences as do a number of us. However, I need some time to "decompress" as I am currently at work and haven't had a chance to even unpack or go through all my photos/videos. With that being said, I know you will have a ton of input from the group that went but here are some high level suggestions:

• Chase vehicle w/trailer of some sort an absolute must.
  • If you add more dirt, less broncos - 5 or 6 max
  • If you add more road - 10 -12 max but your not going to be traveling quickly, fuel and food stops eat time as do little stops to fix "something is loose" or "something is making noise" or to do repairs etc..
  • You could split the groups with one doing more dirt - one doing more road but then logistics are a big factor
  • with 11 of us, it made for some very very long days even when when the majority of the day was on pavement
  • It would be nice to have 2 lay over days to appreciate the locations and recover, being in the bronco literally all day as you know is draining - at least for 10 days on the road.
  • Try to avoid Guerrero Negro as an overnight stop
  • Solo sports was cool, but I wouldn't necessarily say its a must do. I think there are alternatives that would be much more fun - ie. Camp somewhere along the coast ourselves.
  • With the above camping suggestion - it would be great to have a few night of camping on the beach or other one of a kind areas and add in a hotel the day after to "clean and refresh". Would be more fun and promote the group collective better than a resort in some aspects.
  • If you have a high compression ratio engine or have to run premium then you better be prepared to bring allot of octane booster or buy as much of the good stuff as you can along the way.
  • Broncos have to be sorted with absolutely nothing left to chance. That one thing that you forgot or didn't do or service will be the one thing Baja eats up... it will find your weakness.

I would definitely be in to run it again, look forward to ideas and feedback from others.

Great feedback! You got my curiosity going with G.N. It's not the nicest town on the peninsula, but logistically it really works best heading back, especially if you're going through San Felipe. We could stop over in El Marasal instead as an option and add an hour on the drive the next day. Actually I prefer a night in Gonzaga Bay. You guys passed that up. Beautiful and a sweet little hotel on the beach with a 5 star seafood restaurant.

lgdpt

Great feedback! You got my curiosity going with G.N. It's not the nicest town on the peninsula, but logistically it really works best heading back, especially if you're going through San Felipe. We could stop over in El Marasal instead as an option and add an hour on the drive the next day. Actually I prefer a night in Gonzaga Bay. You guys passed that up. Beautiful and a sweet little hotel on the beach with a 5 star seafood restaurant.

Gonzaga Bay is awesome... and has some great fishing.

billd987

Having just finished the trip up, I would like to give somebody else the chance to experience Baja in a Classic Bronco as I imagine this would fill up very quick.

That being said, I'd love to tag along the first night or two as I am in San Diego if space permitted.

My advice to those thinking about it: If you can in any way make this happen do it! This is an experience of a lifetime and you will have an awesome time.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
[*]know your rig inside and out - nobody else will
[*]Broncos have to be sorted with absolutely nothing left to chance. That one thing that you forgot or didn't do or service will be the one thing Baja eats up... it will find your weakness.

I would add that your rig should be prepared with the mindset that self sufficiency is a requirement. Your fall-back position is the security of traveling with a group of other self sufficient people that can tackle any situation that Baja will present.

As much effort as we (myself and Phil) put into making mine reliable, i realized how much good luck I had during the trip and that I wasn’t prepared as well as I should be. I found myself borrowing some simple tools and supplies that I forgot to pack because I didn’t leave myself enough time for packing.

bamabaja

Contributor
Loc.
The Shoals
... I wasn’t prepared as well as I should be. I found myself borrowing some simple tools and supplies that I forgot to pack because I didn’t leave myself enough time for packing.

For those of us considering a future trip, while fresh on your mind please make a note of types of breakdowns, maintenance required, tools and supplies needed, what you concern “necessary” (ex: extra fuel tank) and “luxury (ex: AC), supplies, so we might start budget and truck planning. Trip sounds wonderful, thanks for sharing.