• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 30 drum hubs same as the 44

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have 8 lose drum hubs but not sure if there is a difference between the Dana 30 to the 44. At first glance they all look exactly the same and I’m sure there is a mix of 30’s and 44’s in my pile of hubs. If there is a difference what should I look for? Thanks Jeff

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You talking about the main hub behind the drum? Or the lockouts?

The lockouts are the same for all years, but I was under the impression that there was a difference depending on which brake style you had. But then, that could be the obvious difference between disc and drum, rather than drum to drum, so I'm really not sure.

Just sure that the lockouts/free-running hub mechanisms are the same.

Paul

OP
OP
Gas Pig

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You talking about the main hub behind the drum? Or the lockouts?

The lockouts are the same for all years, but I was under the impression that there was a difference depending on which brake style you had. But then, that could be the obvious difference between disc and drum, rather than drum to drum, so I'm really not sure.

Just sure that the lockouts/free-running hub mechanisms are the same.

Paul

Hey Paul, yeah I’m actually talking about the hub itself and not the lockouts. We got a pile of used parts and I know there was Dana 30 and Dana 44 axles parts. All the trucks these hubs came off were converted to disc brakes. But I like to keep my builds original so in the pile of hubs there ones in a lot better condition then what’s on my truck now. For the life of me I can’t see any differences from one hub to the next. I just don’t want to go on just that... there got to be something I’m missing! lol

Thanks Jeff

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Then you're in business. All you have to do is verify outside dimensions are the same.
Flange thickness, offset from back face to top of flange, that kind of stuff.
The hardest to measure might be the distance between bearing races front to back.

That's because if these all came from Broncos, then the insides are all identical in spline count, diameter, wheel lug pattern, bearing and race part numbers, and all the big items.
Bottom line though, is if you can install one on the spindle with the correct bearings and adjust the nuts down to spec and the bearing freeplay falls within spec too (.001 to .010 inch) you're golden.

Good luck.

Paul