• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Glove Box Door Opener

jrw429

I've had my 70 Bronco for 15 years. For 15 years, it has been without a glove box latch striker. I've used the previous owner's velcro stuck to the door and the dash. I finally got around to putting the striker in. Works great... but the door doesn't fall open on it's own. Is this how it is supposed to be? Or am I missing a spring or something? Press the button, the latch disengages, but the door doesn't move. I have to pry it open.

Silly question, but I've been searching for a couple hours and can find no references.

Thanks,
Jim

mtp71174

On the hinges are springs that are suppose to do the initial movement of opening the door you may need to tweak them to give them more tension to pop the door, it could be that the latch is dragging and overcoming the springs. Pull the striker plate and push the door close and release and see if they push it open.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
if the hinges are not inline with each other they will bind also. try loosining the screws on one hinge just a bit and see if that helps then if it does. tighten them back up

OP
OP
J

jrw429

Thanks for the hints! A quick check and I can feel both springs "flappin' in the breeze". Apparently the hinges were previously removed, and incorrectly reinstalled. I'll check to see about putting it back correctly when I have a bit of time.

OP
OP
J

jrw429

Following up. Turns out nothing was incorrectly installed. It is just that after nearly 50 years the springs had relaxed. I tried to restore the "springiness". It was surprisingly easy to bend them back, and looks like it will be enough to open the glove box door. I'm not sure how long that will last. And if they quickly relax again, I might get new hinges.

https://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/product/66-77-ford-bronco-glove-box-door-hinges