• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Big Block Weight

t120r

So I picked up a crane scale and weighed the 429 going into my '66. When I removed the engine stand adapter, it sat at 490lbs. This is minus carb, distributor/plus/wires and flywheel.

Next I'll weigh the ZF and NP205. :) I think I'll end up weighing everything I own.:)

Attachments

• Scale.jpg
    Scale.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 85

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I know the 460 in my F250 is a heavy pig. Although inside it looks very much like a supersized 351W. Well the bottom end looks like a W, the top end looks like a C. Lets just call it a supersized, low reving boss 302.

My cherry picker was not happy with it. On the furthest hole it would not lift it out of the engine compartment. 8-ton ram squeaking fluid through the overload bypass. Next hole in, didn't have the clearance to the bumper. Ended up drilling a new hole halfway between the outer two to get the capacity and reach. I am sure it is not an approved modification, but it is functional. That was all iron, intake through manifolds.

I've seen them in early Broncos a couple of times. Not a happy fit. Lots of work to make them fit. Firewall notched and moved back, or the whole firewall cut and moved back (shortened cowl). Brake master always in the way of the valve cover. Be prepared for a lot of adapting to get it done.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good to see numbers t120r. Thanks
For sure when you weigh things keep adding them to your first post.

You could just ad posts of course, but if you end up with a lot of weights it would be good to see them all in one place.

And speaking of which, seems to me we should have a Sticky-Sticky. You know, one single sticky thread at the top of each forum that leads to a separate page of just stickies!
Reason I think that would be good would be because I know Jon (and most of us) don't want a whole first page full of stickies, so we lose some of the quick reference for some of the threads that deserve it. Such as the Master Color List, or the Mind Your P's and Q's list, or any of several others.
Including this one now!

Be nice to quick-reference weights just for the heck of it. May not be needed as much as some (at least for 429's ;) ) but would be great for some parts I'm sure you''ll get to.

Anyway, keep 'em coming!

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Another good chart. I wonder how they both compare to the one on the old Performance Unlimited/Rock-Proof Steering site?

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Cool link - data supplied by SAE makes me feel more confident in that. 720# for 429/460!!!

OP
OP
T

t120r

I've seen them in early Broncos a couple of times. Not a happy fit. Lots of work to make them fit. Firewall notched and moved back, or the whole firewall cut and moved back (shortened cowl). Brake master always in the way of the valve cover. Be prepared for a lot of adapting to get it done.

I have a thread on here somewhere, but my 429 is in. I never touched the firewall, but did have to notch the crossmember. Needed a 1" bodylift to work. With a stock D44, I could have gotten away with a stock lift. I have a SD D60 now so I needed a 2" lift (Said screw it and went 3.5" though:) ) I used a motorplate/midplate combo, but it would have been much easier to run a set of universal motormounts off the inside of the frame though.

OP
OP
T

t120r

I'm not sure of the accuracy of your scale. According to this

http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/engineweights2.html

A 429/460 weighs 640 lbs. That aligns with my experience - an all iron big block comes in around 650 - 680 depending how it is dressed. Small blocks are 500#.

My engine is nowhere near stock. The only stock iron is the block and crank. I have aluminum heads, intake and waterpump. The pistons are Diamond and weigh almost half of what the originals did. Even the pullies are aluminum March pulleys. I figure all dressed it will come in around 550lbs.

OP
OP
T

t120r

Good to see numbers t120r. Thanks
For sure when you weigh things keep adding them to your first post.

You could just ad posts of course, but if you end up with a lot of weights it would be good to see them all in one place.

And speaking of which, seems to me we should have a Sticky-Sticky. You know, one single sticky thread at the top of each forum that leads to a separate page of just stickies!
Reason I think that would be good would be because I know Jon (and most of us) don't want a whole first page full of stickies, so we lose some of the quick reference for some of the threads that deserve it. Such as the Master Color List, or the Mind Your P's and Q's list, or any of several others.
Including this one now!

Be nice to quick-reference weights just for the heck of it. May not be needed as much as some (at least for 429's ;) ) but would be great for some parts I'm sure you''ll get to.

Anyway, keep 'em coming!

Paul

I'll try my best to weigh everything. Seems to be a lot of confusion as the the weights of some things. The things I'm curious about the most are my axles though:)

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'll try my best to weigh everything. Seems to be a lot of confusion as the the weights of some things. The things I'm curious about the most are my axles though:)

keep weighing an posting, good info

OP
OP
T

t120r

t120 how about some pics of the progress/process??

I guess I should update my build thread. I kind of stopped because the motor/transmission came out so many times. I'm working nights till Wednesday morning, then off for 15 days. I'll update it then.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Aluminum heads probably saved 40# each, intake 30# and water pump 5# so that gives you 100-125# of savings versus the online numbers. That puts your observed weight in line with expectations.

640 - 125 = 515 and you had 509 I think this makes a lot of sense now.

OP
OP
T

t120r

Aluminum heads probably saved 40# each, intake 30# and water pump 5# so that gives you 100-125# of savings versus the online numbers. That puts your observed weight in line with expectations.

640 - 125 = 515 and you had 509 I think this makes a lot of sense now.

I was actually at 490lbs just before I bolted the engine in. I forgot I had the engine stand adapter still on.:)

Not sure if you ever lifted a BBF water pump before, but it's a two hander for sure. Big chunk of iron. I would estimate easy 30lbs to 40lbs. The Meziere that replaces it can be lifted with one finger.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Good update thanks. I have a 460 sitting in the corner of my shed I can't give it away. You give me bad ideas....

OP
OP
T

t120r

Good update thanks. I have a 460 sitting in the corner of my shed I can't give it away. You give me bad ideas....

I'm over $6000cad in parts alone for the engine. I don't think I would ever do this again.