• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

"Flick" build thread

jmhend

Bronco Guru
Hi folks, April 28th will mark ONE YEAR since this project started! I can't believe it. Winter really slowed down my work since my garage isn't heated, but things came together slowly and surely.

Yesterday, 4/9/19, I took Flick on the first test drive on the road! It was slow and just on my dead end street, but it felt like a HUGE accomplishment. In order to get this project rolling by the June roundup, I gave up a few things. No twin stick, taking a chance that the engine and transmission have good life left, reusing the roll bar for now (upgrade will need to happen eventually as my kids grow), and no suspension upgrade yet. I was disappointed to put this all together, get it perfectly level and the radius arms perfectly set, then it sagged on the driver's side as soon as all the weight went back on. The donor I used for Flick was hit on the driver's side and it shows in the body and suspension even though it appeared to be a very minor fender bender.

So don't mind that Flick leans and is a little crooked and gappy if you look close. My father mentioned that my Pappy is probably sitting in there and enjoying it too, so that's my excuse for the lean. The other stuff I'm blaming on the accident and not my amateur rebuilding skills.

I hope to meet more of you at the Roundup this year. My family will be coming with Flick and camping there. This has been a blast and I'm already thinking of building another.

Not sure how I missed this thread... welcome and amazing progress in the year.

I am in PA as well and can possibly be able to give a hand if you need. Shoot me a PM and we can chat.

Jason

OP
OP
Muddy1966Bronco

Muddy1966Bronco

Loc.
Central PA
Brakes are bled, narrowed down a couple gauge issues, and installed the soft top and an hour meter. Now I can see just many hours I have enjoyed my pappy’s Bronco. Little nostalgic touch.

Also, I love the uncut original ‘69 dash. If I get to putting a radio in down the road, it will be mounted below or in a center console.

Attachments

• 5922AF96-3F9B-4E0A-98B9-C7E43D60BCDF.jpg
    5922AF96-3F9B-4E0A-98B9-C7E43D60BCDF.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 34
  • CC41F98B-CCC7-483F-AE96-6ABC62028F5B.jpg
    CC41F98B-CCC7-483F-AE96-6ABC62028F5B.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
Muddy1966Bronco

Muddy1966Bronco

Loc.
Central PA
Flick is successfully on the road and we are ironing out the last bugs to be ready for a Father’s Day show my husband wants to attend and the MEB Roundup. Heat is an issue with temps pushing 220 at times, mostly running 210. We went for the “easy” fix of replacing a thermostat...well, the lower housing bolt snapped off and it turned a quick fix into a long night. Thankfully we had a successful drill out without removing the timing cover. It was close. Very close.

After all that, It turns out the thermostat was only partially the issue. No more 220 temps but it’s still running close to 210 a lot. So a new radiator is in the mail. Other than that, it needs a Speedo cable. But I’m hoping this is it for big expenses before the show.

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
Flick is successfully on the road and we are ironing out the last bugs to be ready for a Father’s Day show my husband wants to attend and the MEB Roundup. Heat is an issue with temps pushing 220 at times, mostly running 210. We went for the “easy” fix of replacing a thermostat...well, the lower housing bolt snapped off and it turned a quick fix into a long night. Thankfully we had a successful drill out without removing the timing cover. It was close. Very close.

After all that, It turns out the thermostat was only partially the issue. No more 220 temps but it’s still running close to 210 a lot. So a new radiator is in the mail. Other than that, it needs a Speedo cable. But I’m hoping this is it for big expenses before the show.

I see that you are from PA, The only Fathers day show I know of is in Hermitage PA? Is that the one you are talking about? I am really close to there.

OP
OP
Muddy1966Bronco

Muddy1966Bronco

Loc.
Central PA
I see that you are from PA, The only Fathers day show I know of is in Hermitage PA? Is that the one you are talking about? I am really close to there.

No, it’s the Victory car show in Troy, PA, hosted by Kevin Morgan who builds the new style Trans Ams. My husband used to have a ‘79 Trans Am and became friends with him. So mine could be the only Bronco there, I don’t know. This will be our first time attending his show.

mustanggarage

Contributor
Hi folks, April 28th will mark ONE YEAR since this project started! I can't believe it. Winter really slowed down my work since my garage isn't heated, but things came together slowly and surely.

Yesterday, 4/9/19, I took Flick on the first test drive on the road! It was slow and just on my dead end street, but it felt like a HUGE accomplishment. In order to get this project rolling by the June roundup, I gave up a few things. No twin stick, taking a chance that the engine and transmission have good life left, reusing the roll bar for now (upgrade will need to happen eventually as my kids grow), and no suspension upgrade yet. I was disappointed to put this all together, get it perfectly level and the radius arms perfectly set, then it sagged on the driver's side as soon as all the weight went back on. The donor I used for Flick was hit on the driver's side and it shows in the body and suspension even though it appeared to be a very minor fender bender.

So don't mind that Flick leans and is a little crooked and gappy if you look close. My father mentioned that my Pappy is probably sitting in there and enjoying it too, so that's my excuse for the lean. The other stuff I'm blaming on the accident and not my amateur rebuilding skills.

I hope to meet more of you at the Roundup this year. My family will be coming with Flick and camping there. This has been a blast and I'm already thinking of building another.

hey nice job on Flick. are those F 150 seats in there? I have a set I bought for my 99 f 150 a while back and I have been considering using them in my 71. if they are, did you just mount them to the original brackets or were you able to keep the power function. I assume the passenger seat just mounted to the bronco brackets, at least on mine the passenger seat did not have a power seat.

OP
OP
Muddy1966Bronco

Muddy1966Bronco

Loc.
Central PA
hey nice job on Flick. are those F 150 seats in there? I have a set I bought for my 99 f 150 a while back and I have been considering using them in my 71. if they are, did you just mount them to the original brackets or were you able to keep the power function. I assume the passenger seat just mounted to the bronco brackets, at least on mine the passenger seat did not have a power seat.

Thanks, they are Ford Expedition seats. You won’t have room for the power options with the way the drivers floor is made. Both drivers and passengers are sitting right on the bronco brackets, which I think I had to drill a couple new holes in the seat to mount.

mustanggarage

Contributor
Thanks, they are Ford Expedition seats. You won’t have room for the power options with the way the drivers floor is made. Both drivers and passengers are sitting right on the bronco brackets, which I think I had to drill a couple new holes in the seat to mount.

ok. good to know. I think the expedition seats are pretty much the same as the f150. I like having the armrest on the side. that is one of the reasons I was considering using them. anyway, again. nice job>