• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best use of time

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What, for you, has been the best bang for the minute?

Today, I spent about 2 hours disassembling, lubricating, and reassembling my door latch mechanisms. First side took about 1.5 hours, taking my time to take pics and ensure I knew how it all went back together, washing the latch with simple green, lubricating with silicone spray, and reassembling. The 2nd side took about 30 minutes with breaks to kill two beers.

The effort required to open the doors, from inside and out, was reduced ten fold. What used to take two thumbs on the passenger side can now be done with one pinkie.

For the effort and difficulty required, this has got to be some of the best bang for the minute, and the buck(nearly free), that I've spent on my bronco.

knack

Contributor
Adjusting the rear drum brakes. Maybe a half hour.
Don't know why I always wait so long. Seems like I always start thinking about expensive upgrades, then remember how good the brakes used to work - and do some maintenance.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
For me it was the twin sticks.
Went in much quicker than I thought it would (J-shift).

I struggled so much with my J-shifter I rarely engaged 4 wheel drive. Since the twin stick install (8+ years ago) I have engaged 4 wheel drive more often than in the previous 20 years.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Well worth the time investment installing the rear BC 1/4 Guards.. Saved me several times now.. Too bad they aren't still in production for others..

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Lonesouth, how bout posting your pictures! Will be reassembling my doors soon, would love to see what you did. Thanks, Mark

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
A new heater core and refurbishing the heater box if you need heat and defroster. Its a pain in the butt to do but so worth the effort.

Changing the heater water valve to the new plastic valves and lubricating the cable is so worth the effort.

Getting rid of rattles is very hard to do and takes quite a while to figure out but really changes your out look on these old rigs.

OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Lonesouth, how bout posting your pictures! Will be reassembling my doors soon, would love to see what you did. Thanks, Mark

unfortunately, I already have everything back together.

Steps, With the window rolled up:
1. Remove arm rest, 3 lag bolts.
2. Remove inside door handle, 2 nuts.
3. Remove window crank handle, 1 phillips screw.
4. Remove door panel, ~9 phillips screws.
5. Remove lock knob, unscrew.
6. Remove inside handle mechanism, 1 large phillips screw. Twist to remove the connecting rod from the mechanism.
7. Remove window track closes to the latch, 2 bolts on the outside(latch side) of the door.
8. stick your head in and disconnect the row end that goes up to the exterior button. Remove it from the latch, it is held on by a locking connector which hugs the rod.
9111638_rnb_75451_pri_larg.jpg

9. Remove latch, 3 large phillips on the outside(latch side) of the door. Work the latch out, ensuring that the connecting rods don't get stuck under any of the window components.

Once out, take a picture of the connecting rod locations and orientations. Remove the connecting rods. I washed everything with simple green and water. Used a blow gun to dry off thoroughly, then lubricate all pivot points; I used silicone spray. Then reassemble in reverse order. Be sure to remember to put the window track back in before you put the door panel on.

OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I took the opportunity to put some felt tape in the window track I removed. I also welded one of the tracks where the rivets had gotten loose. This solved nearly all of the rattles in that door. Tightening the window track screws on the other door eliminated an incredibly irritating squeak.