• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My second Bronco... Crawler build...

OP
OP
Mountain Ram

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
Also started receiving some of my second hand parts. Bought all this used...
ARB for the front
Air shocks and limiting straps for the rear
A set of Johnny joints and set of Ballistic fab joints for the lower links. I may go with square tube for the lowers. Not as sexy as round, but I have a bunch of it laying around the garage.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 195
OP
OP
Mountain Ram

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
Got a bit more one this weekend... Mostly ordered parts...

D60 front is completely stripped- waiting on king pin kits, gears truss and link tabs.

Got the driver side floor clear of rusted metal and mocked up the floor pan- cut to size and will be welding soon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 190
OP
OP
Mountain Ram

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
Drivers side floor pan is in... Not perfect, but it will work for a crawler. Still have to drill the body mount hole. I still have to muster the energy to cut the rest of the passenger floor out. What a mess it makes!

Artec arms have to be mounted and drilled to match your knuckles... Unreal to see the differences once machined...

null_zps2c18d45b.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mountain Ram

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
Got the Artec truss mounted and full welded, housing drilled for the ARB and mocked the steering ram mount. Got the king pins rebuilt and knuckles mounted. Next to finish getting the gears set.

null_zps60aff166.jpg

null_zps7f571d74.jpg

OP
OP
Mountain Ram

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
Finally, I picked up this... Ford NP203. It will be gutted for its range box and then put in front of my NP205. It will have 4:1 low- not as low as my Dodge 231/241 combo (7.4:1), but it will do.

null_zps29eb3945.jpg

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Todd that is looking good. I might ship one of mine down there when you are done so you can finish it for me. :D

OP
OP
Mountain Ram

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
Todd that is looking good. I might ship one of mine down there when you are done so you can finish it for me. :D

When I am done with this one- you can send one of yours... with a bucket of cash!

I love working on this stuff, but the $$ comes in slow and goes out quick... I think half the fun is trying to find deals on parts, trading or selling some of what I have to fund other mods...

WOW, not just another pretty face!

My Master's Degree in Hack Fabrication is worth more than my ugly mug... But neither really bring any value. Thankfully I married up!!

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Holy SH*T look at that truss!! Looking great Todd. I like how the arms allow double shear with the knuckle. Did you have to go buy the massive allen head to get the king pin apart or already have it?

OP
OP
Mountain Ram

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
Holy SH*T look at that truss!! Looking great Todd. I like how the arms allow double shear with the knuckle. Did you have to go buy the massive allen head to get the king pin apart or already have it?

I got a good deal on the truss and like the looks- still have to get the hydro mounted and finish welding.

I had hex stock at work to use, but the upper kingpins looked really good- no pitting and the teflon cup was actually in good shape as well. knowing how much of a pain the king pins are to remove- I left the old ones. I don't think it will be a breakage issue and this will not see many- if any- road miles.

OP
OP
Mountain Ram

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
Minor update... Finally got the front axle all assembled.wrestling it back under the truck was a PITA to do by myself... Going to start working on links & geometry. I picked up some 2.25, .375 wall for the lowers and I had 1.75, .190 wall for the uppers.

Will drop some pics this evening.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
move closer! i'd help you out every weekend! (might not be good for either of us though)

OP
OP
Mountain Ram

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
If I lived closer to you guys... I would help out every weekend!!

i would also be broke and likely have cirrhosis of the liver!! LOL!!