• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fire extinguisher POLL

How many of you have a fire extinguisher onboard

• Yes I have one

Votes: 283 73.9%
  • No I do not

Votes: 25 6.5%
  • I plan on getting one soon

Votes: 73 19.1%
  • never,never needed one

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

74NJBronco

Loc.
Livingston, NJ
Get at least a 2.5 abc(Mono-Ammonium Phosphate), and a bracket like this http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Mirror_Clamp_Reducer/newproducts-FS

I don't recommend Halon, it will blow away if you are in a windy area. Dry chem may damage some wiring, but if you apply it correctly it will mostly be on stuff that was damaged by the fire anyhow. Cheaper to replace some wires than the entire rig.

Source - 11 years as a firefighter, ASA in Fire Science.

Thanks Wyle. I will definitely take your good advice, everyone reading this should to. Hope I never have to use. (knock on wood)lol.

jperry1290

2.5lbs wont do much other than slow the fire for a few seconds if the fires really going.
-12yrs as firefighter/cop and former fire extinguisher salesman

blubberfet

2.5lbs wont do much other than slow the fire for a few seconds if the fires really going.
-12yrs as firefighter/cop and former fire extinguisher salesman

I agree with this, but if the ten seconds of discharge from a 2.5lb is not enough you only get a few extra seconds out of a much bigger and bulkier harder to mount 5lb. The 2.5lb is still small enough that it can be mounted almost anyplace you would like to put it. I can get my 2.5lb from the drivers seat. It is faster than running to grab a larger extinguisher. Is it the ideal size? No but it is a good start. Even a 1lb is better than nothing.

crab

Bronco Guru
Two in each bronco and have replaced two of them. I used one in my '73 (maybe a one pounder) to put out a a guys burning quad at the beach. He just about went to his knees thanking me.
Used one in my '68 (two pounder) to put out a fire under my hood after a power steering line broke loose.
Hopefully I'm never around a fire that requires a 5lb extinguisher

ILikeBond

Yup, quick release right on the roll bar over my head.

Attachments

• rsint2.jpg
    rsint2.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 150
OP
OP
half cab

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
I hope this thread/poll opens up some peeps and those that don't have one,but was looking to get one will and those that have never thought about it will think about it atleast...Now is a good time b-4 you go out labor day/weekend wheeling around...;)

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Yes, it's a MUST Have and Thanks for keeping the reminder on top, so I check mine to be sure it's working...

Gonna try to get another one as well for shits and grins...

OP
OP
half cab

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Yes, it's a MUST Have and Thanks for keeping the reminder on top, so I check mine to be sure it's working...

Gonna try to get another one as well for shits and grins...

Hayles keep an extra to shoot a would be thread jacker in the skid mark with:p

chuzie

Bronco Guru
I lost a rig to an engine fire and could not get the hood open because flames were coming out the grille.

If you don't have hood pins, I recommend an engine bay extinguishing system. Yes, they are expensive but I guarantee they cost less than your rig.

Casey835

havent cranked mine since frame off , got one waiting for first try at starting it though!

patterdale

Bronco Guru
The bigger the better and as quick as you can apply it. Some will extinguish the flames but the heat from the fire can reignite whatever is left over in a heartbeat. It also depends on your desire/ usage. If you plan on rock crawling and going upside down etc. Some on here have systems where you push a button like race cars. The sky is the limit along with the size of your check book.

Dan74Bronc

Loc.
Chandler, Az
Yep, I have one in the Bronco, two in the garage and one under the kitchen sink.

Didn't do much good though when the wife had a grease fire on the stove. She panicked and forgot all about the fire extinguisher. She did call 911 and had it out by the time the FD showed up.
FD told her it was my fault for not having a fire extinguisher handy. HELLO look under the sink!

Point is, every family member needs to know where the fire extinguisher is and how to use it or it's worthless.

Deano

Bronco Guru
I had them in all my trucks and they went bad and needed charged and I haven't found anyone that charges them up. some are over 20yrs old. I had a fire thats how i know it lost its charge. It had the power of opening a pop can. Maybe I need to get back on that before something does happen.

Dan74Bronc

Loc.
Chandler, Az
I had them in all my trucks and they went bad and needed charged and I haven't found anyone that charges them up. some are over 20yrs old. I had a fire thats how i know it lost its charge. It had the power of opening a pop can. Maybe I need to get back on that before something does happen.

Make it a priority bro!

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
Many rock crawling park rules require an extinguisher.....and being without one is just stupid anyway. I always carry one even in my F150. ;)