• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

migs' build thread - A 1970 Bronco ...an ever evolving project

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
Your making good progress, keep up the good work. My next Bronco has got to be a half cab, there sweet!!!:cool:

Fred

OP
OP
migs

migs

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I'm not 100% sure which project I will use the half cab on yet, but I wanted to see what it looks like and get a feel for it. I do have a bulkhead but the bottom is rotted. I would be open to the idea of getting one that might not require as much work.

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
I'm not 100% sure which project I will use the half cab on yet, but I wanted to see what it looks like and get a feel for it. I do have a bulkhead but the bottom is rotted. I would be open to the idea of getting one that might not require as much work.

I have one you could copy. Thought you might have the necessary gear at the shop for sheetmetal work. Not ready to get rid of it yet but certainly willing to loan it out.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I removed the top from the 70 yesterday, most likely for the first time since Ford put it on. what a joy it is when every nut and bolt comes undone with a turn of the wrench and you can then just unscrew then with your fingers. also, note how clean the wiper assembly is.

Very nice...!!! One of these days we'll have a stocker here...

OP
OP
migs

migs

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
great looking NH broncos.... keep us all posted with the details for "LIZ" as she is known. feel free to change her name though...

Thanks,
well... since she seems to get her name from the previous owner.....I guess we could start calling her "Pete".:p
Does that make the topless images any better?;D

OP
OP
migs

migs

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I have one you could copy. Thought you might have the necessary gear at the shop for sheetmetal work. Not ready to get rid of it yet but certainly willing to loan it out.

Thanks! I will probably take you up on that if I decide to make a new bottom section. the lower corners are rotted off so I don't know exactly where they end.

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Thanks! I will probably take you up on that if I decide to make a new bottom section. the lower corners are rotted off so I don't know exactly where they end.

I have 2 half cabs at home too. Should be able to get something going!

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Thanks,
well... since she seems to get her name from the previous owner.....I guess we could start calling her "Pete".:p

Stick with Liz, there is a lot more there than just the PO!

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
Thanks,

actually, compared to what we saw? yes.....;D

OP
OP
migs

migs

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Well, its been a little while but no real Bronco work to report. mostly just been spending some time trying to find places to put all these Bronco parts. I did order some parts so I can get to work on the minimal rust repair required. I did discover a small hidden surprise, the passenger side rocker has a good amount of filler in it. I don't think it is rusted, I think someone probably hit something and caved it in a bit. I will know more once I remove the filler and decide if I can fix it or if I have to replace it. the good thing about it is that it's the same side as the striker post with rust issues. so, two birds............

the other thing is, the more time I spend crawling over, sliding under, or just plain looking at her I'm starting to realize that I don't want to modify anything and that she should be restored to and kept all original. even the paint color is really starting to grow on me. one question I have concerns the manual steering. right now I'm thinking I want to keep it that way because that's how it came from the factory, but what if it was converted to power for sake of making it more drivable? any opinions on this helping or hurting the value? once the Bronco is finished I don't think I will be driving it daily and it most likely won't see any trails.

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
That is the issue I had with the truck as well. My thought was to only put on "bolt on" items like original power steering or even d-44 with disc. YOu could even put a mild lift on it. I was going to keep all the "original" parts I took off so that it could be returned to original at any time. Ultimately it would be a great base for a completely original restoration.

4lofun

nothing wrong with manual steering.... i have it on my subaru brat and the feel of the road is much better.... drive it with the manual steering before you upgrade. Smaller size tires and manual is fine. trail driving with manual steering is another story.

OP
OP
migs

migs

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
yeah, that's what I've been thinking if I keep it stock. I've driven it around the neighborhood and it didn't bother me that much. the only car I've driven quite a bit with manual steering is my old VW Beetle, but I don't think that should count given that there's no weight on the front end.
it's just tuff being spoiled nowadays......even my lawn mower has power steering.;D

OP
OP
migs

migs

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Put in some time on it today. so, that rocker that I suspected to be dented? well, yeah, it had a little filler in it.:eek: knocked it right off with the air chisel to reveal the extent. well I guess the rocker is coming of...........

Attachments

• P1010025.jpg
    P1010025.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 235
  • P1010027.jpg
    P1010027.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 229
  • P1010028.jpg
    P1010028.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 229
  • P1010029.jpg
    P1010029.jpg