• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

"ARMY GREEN" EB Build

ZOSO

I really like how the cage goes through the dash. Keeps taller guys like me from whacking their knees on it.

OP
OP
AKwheeler

AKwheeler

My brother and I finished getting the remaining tubes installed; x-braces and the dash bar.

4a1dd8c1.jpg

I couldn't make the dash bar the way I wanted out of one piece, so I had to make a couple of splices. Anyone have a better way to do this with one piece?

cccb19bc.jpg

The door bars are going to stay. When we mocked up the bent piece, it just looked like it was going to be a tripping hazzard. This way, the bar is high enough that you have to lift your foot up and won't drag your foot over it, resulting in a fall. It also is stronger than a bend in the middle of that run. I am going to think about this again tonight. Opinions?

The gussets need to be installed as well as the gusset/handholds on the A pillar. The cage needs to be braced well and then we will remove and weld it up. Now that the cage is ready to come out, I can get paint in the interior and start getting things done!

While I was looking at craigslist, I found a new in box powercoating kit, along with a case of semi and flat black powder, the makings of a large oven (6 heating elements, a temperature sensor, heater controller and blower motor) and a equally unused 6000W infared lamp. I walked with all of it for $500 (about half the price of the lamp). I guess I won't have to haul my parts on a 700 mile round trip anymore!

blamejane

Bronco Guru
Love your rig and all of the history. When do you anticipate finishing? The cage looks great.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
BC Broncos. It is a really nice dash, heavy duty and without that funky edge of the stock piece. I may still use the stock one I rearranged though I am not 100% sure I like the gauge pod in the very center of the dash.

Yeah I see what you mean with it being in the middle. If I could get the cluster guage the same distance on the opposite side of the steering wheel I would be very interested. But I do like the off-set glovebox option. If I knew how to cut those size holes perfectly w/o warping the metal I might be in business.

OP
OP
AKwheeler

AKwheeler

I am going to be relocating mine towards the steering wheel. It is just a matter of cutting a rectangle, flipping and putting just a few stitches at a time. The sheetmetal is thicker than stock, which I only had a bit of warpage on. The dash will also need to be braced to prevent any twisting. I will be doing the dash mods this weekend. I will post up a few pictures.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AKwheeler

AKwheeler

My brother welded up the cage. Still needs gussets and handles installed though. That's okay because there appears to be a 2 week back order i my OD Green powder.

I cut two new bars for the front bumper which will be installed mid-week. That will finally finish up the front bumper and it will be ready for powder coating as well.

I cut a mounting hole for my tire carrier spindle. Kevin is cleaning up the square tube (base of carrier) so that we can cut and form to the bumper below it.

c246eb94.jpg

Bumpers will get powder coated semi-flat black.

Progress, although slower because I am also prepping my Syclone for paint at the same time.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Did you say in the 1st post hat this was going to be a 2 and 1/2 week build.. Or did I read something wrong.
... I like your Bronco and those front seats would look great in my Camo Bronco.
After 7 years it's time for me to recover mine.
... Good Job.

OP
OP
AKwheeler

AKwheeler

Yeah, I posted something to that about that here:
This thread title is so embarrasing. Life got very busy and I put ARMY GREEN on the back burner to get some other things accomplished.

I am now back working on it and had this thread resurrected from the grave. With a week of leave devoted to getting some work done on the EB and the Syclone, there should finally be some progress made worth posting.

Maybe change it to 2 1/2 year build? Nope not long enough....

JDJ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan
What kind of cyclone do you have? GMC Cyclone or Mercury Cyclone?

OP
OP
AKwheeler

AKwheeler

It is a GMC Syclone. Hoping to get it shot soon so ARMY GREEN can slide into the garage for paint prep.

OP
OP
AKwheeler

AKwheeler

I stripped and/or sanded the interior this weekend and got some epoxy and build primer laid out. Need to go back and clean up 45 years of dings and dents in the floor. I would have done it prior to priming, but ARMY GREEN is being worked on outside these days.

Chief Master Sergeant

Contributor
Retired U.S. Air Force
Man, this was brought back from the dead. I remember following this from Anchorage, when I was stationed there a couple of years ago. Glad to see you're back at it and can't wait to see the end results.

OP
OP
AKwheeler

AKwheeler

"ARMY GREEN" 3 week build

Painted the interior of Army Green this last weekend. I had a couple small flaws on my doors due to a heavy final coat and too slow a reducer (paint store isn't open at midnight) so they are already re-prepped and will be shot in the next few days.

hy8y6e6u.jpg

I also installed a bulk pack of Hushmat prior to installing the Racket Jacket. Once I saw the amount of dampers included, I though best for noise and interior Alaska winters to put down a full covering before the RJ.

a9y6yhe7.jpg

I am doing most of the work after the family goes to bed, so I am a little behind on my sleep. Still need to paint the dash and sandblast the roll-cage. Then things should start humming along.

Yes, I am still aware that I am a bit behind on my 3 week build.... ;)