• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front Fenders Paint/Undercoat

Broncomt

I decided to restore my 1970 front fenders in spite of some rust pitting and the fact that I'm more of a mechanic than a bodyman. In spite of the lack of talent, I have gotten one fender in really good shape. I have some rust underneath that doesn't want to disappear. Should I use some POR-15 on it then paint? Then what should I use for undercoating and should I do that before remounting them. Thanks for all the help. I'll get my contributor status soon and post some pics.

Thanks, Gary

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
The POR15 will work good for the rusty parts. You can put a top coat on it if you want but it doesn't need it. The biggest thing with the paint over rust products is to follow the prep instructions. I have been using POR for 20 years and when done properly it will last. It would be easier to do before mounting them back on. Ken

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
What he said.. Good luck

Look forward to the pics

rusty2078

Loc.
Sherwood Park, AB
As far as undercoating goes, I've had good success with Monstaliner on my truck, wife's car, and a buddy of mine did his 60 series land cruiser. I wouldn't worry about trying to tint it to get a colour match, but just shoot over it. UV stable product if you don't top coat it, and thus far has stood up nicely to a couple of Canadian winters.