• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

U joint question

Nowik35

So I need a u joint that has all 4 of 1.125 caps and over all length of 3.22 with neck clips. I've been searching the internet for days and no luck. A lot of websites aren't clear in the description of actual measurements. Can anyone help me with a part number?

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Is it stock bronco? Upgraded shafts? Year bronco? And sometime u need the unit number from the serial number because they made mid-year changes

OP
OP
N

Nowik35

I have a 69 bronco 170 inline 6 , I believe its the stock front BW style shaft . ( not positive my first bronco and first car project). but when i took off the old u joints I measured them and the caps were 1.125 and the over all length is 3.22

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
The neck clips you mention sound like you have the earlier Borg-Warner type U-joints. 1966-1970. Give a couple of vendors a call, none of them seem to list them on their website, but worth a call.

Mark

OP
OP
N

Nowik35

okie4750 , that u joint on bronco-graveyard is a combination joint which mates 1.125 to 1.063. I need all four caps 1.125.

Also that TSB link almost has what I need but both of those option are conversion u joints. I need all 4 to be 1.125.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
We're an OEM shop account for Rockford (RCV) and have the reference books for pretty much any u-joint and I'll be danged if I can find one that is the 3.22" width with two 1.125 caps anywhere. As you've already found out, those with a 1.062 and 1.125 cap combination are available in the 3.22 width...but that's all I can find too.

OP
OP
N

Nowik35

i cant believe these are this hard to find, and no one has similar problems finding this u joint. I must have the most unlucky bronco. ( might have to buy a whole new driveshaft for the front. )

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
okie4750 , that u joint on bronco-graveyard is a combination joint which mates 1.125 to 1.063. I need all four caps 1.125.

Also that TSB link almost has what I need but both of those option are conversion u joints. I need all 4 to be 1.125.

Hmm, I'm almost certain that's where I ordered my ujoint for my 66'. Seems like I remember seeing this issue on FB a couple of years ago.

See what the diameters are on this ujoint #5-2350x

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
What position is the U-Joint? Do you need inner neck grove in all 4 places like inside the CV joint or only inside the driveshaft yoke and full caps on the transfer case or rear axle position?

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... Back when I had my parts store. We sometimes Would put 2 u-joints together.
If Steam dia. are the same then you may need to put 2 together.
... & 3.18 & 3.22 I'm not sure you could tell the difference.
... But at some time people will put something in that never went together in the past.
... My PO of my Bronco had part of a rear u-joint in mine ''wrong'' . But it lasted about 5 years when it blew .. I ended up buying a new yoke for my Pumkin.

OP
OP
N

Nowik35

Rustytruck, so my axle pinion is a Spicer 1310 and so is my front drive TC yoke. So I need two combination u joints (which I found Spicer has one PN 5-7439x) I just need one more that's all four caps with inner neck clips. I was actually thinking of buying too more of those combination u joints and swapping out the 1.125 caps. Great idea!