• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

She gets more "thumbs up" than I do!

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
My wife and I bought our Bronco new in '77. We both went in and picked the options, and made the factory order.
Since it was our newest car and the most reliable, she was the primary driver for the first five years.

Years have gone by, and other cars came and went. We kept the Bronco. The whole family has used it at one time or other.

I've done a few mods, but mostly made it more comfortable for regular use. But all the mods had to meet her approval, since she still drives it on occasion. The hardest sell was talking her into removing the auto tranny and replacing it with a five speed manual. She learned to drive with a manual shift as a kid, so that wasn't an issue.

Well since she's never driven it with the five speed and twin stick, TC shifter, I thought it would be appropriate to have a "refresher course" on Bronco driving. Especially with winter coming.
So yesterday I had her start it up and pull it out of the garage. Had her lock the hubs and drive us to a dirt road. Boy it's weird riding in the passenger seat!

Well she did great!
But...
One thing was obvious. She got more waves and thumbs up than I ever have. Sure I get some, but she gets way more.

Then of coarse, we end up in some antique/boutique shops.:(
Women notice other women driving Broncos?:? And my wife ended up talking to all of them, so this short drive took hours.%)

Well anyway, she is pretty cute driving our Bronco again.;)

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Great story! Very cool that you've kept your wife involved with the Bronco decisions all these years.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Had to stop letting my wife drive the '96.
She couldn't get away from guys at gas pumps and convenience stores.

I have even stood back and pretended to not be with her. On many occasions the guys were always very respectful and had real questions that made sense, lol.

But for her it was a PITA, haha. I told her that she always has to be nice because she is representing the Bronco community.

Nice to hear your wife will still be driving the eb for a long time to come Blu.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My wife gets way more thumbs, waves, honks, etc in the EB than I ever will...which if fine by me. I have a hard enough time getting out the gas station sometimes. would hate for it to be even worse.

OP
OP
blubuckaroo

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Did you let her test your repairs and burn some rubber leaving the antique shop?

Well, she knows how it got damaged and what the repairs cost. She's a pretty conservative driver, but she did seem to be getting the secondaries open quite a bit.;)