• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Vintage Air Gen IV, How well does it work?

American180

Loc.
Mount Washington, Ky
For those of you who have the Vintage Air Gen IV systems, how well do they cool in an early Bronco? Years ago I had a 74 that I used for plowing snow and a daily driver. The heater system left a lot to be desired. Some day's it was all it could do on defrost to give me a circle to see out of. Is the Heater a big improvement over stock as well?

Fitz24

Contributor
Bronco Guru
For those of you who have the Vintage Air Gen IV systems, how well do they cool in an early Bronco? Years ago I had a 74 that I used for plowing snow and a daily driver. The heater system left a lot to be desired. Some day's it was all it could do on defrost to give me a circle to see out of. Is the Heater a big improvement over stock as well?

Heater is a huge improvement over stock.
AC works well but doesn't cool as well as I hoped. HOWEVER, i did the install and charging myself which was a first time. I am going to take it to someone and have it recharged to see if it works better done by a professional.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Mine works fine and that's with zero insulation.

Insulate well and that a/c will seem to work so much better.

I did the blower upgrade on my old heater and got it working really good before going with the BC/VA unit.

These eb's are tough to cool and heat.

Insulate
Insulate
Insulate

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My heater isn't working at all for some reason. But i'll confirm too that the A/C works great. And even in another uninsulated heat-cocoon shaped like a Bronco!
Doug worked on the heater with them and BC without result and I have not had time to mess with it. But it sure kept me cool in the summer.

Not really sure if it's the Gen IV or not actually. I'll have to check. Likely it's a hybrid of things and was done a couple of years ago now.
It's work to put into the small Bronco package, but I'd have to say the results are worth it.

Now I can really live up to that statement if I can find out why the heater blows cold air....;)

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and I'll x-10 what bronconut said about insulating!

Any EB can benefit from extensive insulating. From the headliner on down to the every nook and cranny on the tub.
If the body and top are off, then something extensively sprayed on, such as Lizzard Skin (both the sound deadener first, then the thermal barrier next) is a great way to get it everywhere effectively.
If the vehicle is still in one piece, stick on sound deadeners such as BoomMat or many others is a good start, with extra insulation laid under the carpet or floor mat as well.

Don't scrimp on the insulation and your HVAC setup (and wives or significant others!) will thank you.

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Mine works fine and that's with zero insulation.

Insulate well and that a/c will seem to work so much better.

I did the blower upgrade on my old heater and got it working really good before going with the BC/VA unit.

These eb's are tough to cool and heat.

Insulate
Insulate
Insulate

X3..... May as well give it a shot

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

Did you decide on some upgrading...?

OP
OP
A

American180

Loc.
Mount Washington, Ky
Did you decide on some upgrading...?

By the end of November, I should have the money to buy and/or build a bronco. For the last 6 months I’ve been following bronco prices to see which is the best way to go. I’m building a Master Plan right now. Started a spread sheet with prices on everything I want. I was just making sure it was worth the upgrade. It definitely is. Thanks again for all the responses.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
My VA works terrific. Blows lots more cold air than my old dealer installed under-dash unit ever could.
My biggest issue is the same with all Vintage Air products. The defrost sucks!
The OEM unit did a much better job.
The problem is, the VA unit takes in zero outside air. The compressor has to run in order to defrost.
Oh, that's just like my late model car, you might think. I can guarantee you, VA defrost sucks!
If you ask me, Chuck should have had VA custom engineer their defrost instead of their "Bronco friendly" heater box.

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
I don't understand this at all... Hot defrost air comes from the heater core, how does it involve the compressor?
At this point i'm still messing with my BCB version of Vintage Air, but seems like it'll blow much more defrost volume than the factory ever did//

OP
OP
A

American180

Loc.
Mount Washington, Ky
I don't understand this at all... Hot defrost air comes from the heater core, how does it involve the compressor?
At this point i'm still messing with my BCB version of Vintage Air, but seems like it'll blow much more defrost volume than the factory ever did//

Blowing the air through the ac evaporator first takes the moisture out of the air. That's what helps the windows defrost better.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Maybe so, but most modern factory A/C applications use some outside air mixed in the plenum. Not so with a Vintage Air system.
I feel my factory heater did a better job of defrosting than my VA system.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Mine defrosts fine but my main windshield defrost needs are warm rain days as opposed to winter/cool days here in central Florida. But it still works here in the winter.
When you first turn it on it makes the windshield more foggy for a few seconds then it starts to clear it.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I feel it's a trade-off.
My old dealer installed under dash unit used the existing heater box. It didn't cool nearly as well as the Vintage Air unit. The Vintage Air heater works great as well, but with the factory heater, you didn't need the fan motor when you were driving down the road. The cowl pressure pushed the warm air right in.
Same with the defrost. No fan or compressor was needed, and it worked well.
I'd say, pick the season you plan to drive the car and pick your A/C.