• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Welding Question

Gweiner

Loc.
Charlotte
Happy Friday Everyone -

About to weld on some new lower quarters (and rockers). I removed the auxiliary tank but left the main rear tank. Should I remove the rear tank or am I being a bit too cautious? What would you do?

Attachments

• 20171021_130339.jpg
    20171021_130339.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 89

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Why take a chance.. Remove it would be my suggestion.

OP
OP
G

Gweiner

Loc.
Charlotte
Yeah, guess it does not pay to cut corners. I have a full tank of gas in there and didn't want to wrestle with it but better safe than sorry. Was just curious if others removed their gas tank before welding.

Thanks,

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
If it wasn't for the filler neck being there and open I would say you could leave it on, but with welding on that side remove it.
No sense taking a chance of a spark getting into the fuel vapor.

OP
OP
G

Gweiner

Loc.
Charlotte
I was thinking of wrapping the filler neck and covering the tank with a blanket but might as well just drop the tank.

Broncomt

Drop the tank. You can get a cheap x-fer pump from H F and pump most out. You life is not worth the risk.

71 CA Bronco

X 4 Remove is my recommendation. Its easy to get caught up in the welding and grinding then put a spark where you don't want one.

BTW - The grinding is usually what starts fires/explosions. Welding can be isolated much easier than flying sparks.

SteveC

Loc.
Tuscaloosa AL
Panel adhesive and self tapping screws across the top. Weld on both ends (striker post front and to tailgate housing in the rear). By far the easiest and best IMO. Just did it. You won't get close enough to the filler neck while welding to be dangerous. Well, no more dangerous than creating the occasional unseen spark when you removed the lower quarter. You should drain the tank though. But anything can happen I guess so use your best judgement.

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Just my 2 cents here. Even if you drain the tank remove it. A tank full of vapors is more dangerous than a tank full of fuel.
Good luck with your project!

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
I would purge it with CO2 from my other welder bottle while the welding is being done. But not everyone has a 2nd bottle of welding gas..

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Be very careful welding with gas in the same room. I never have gas containers in the shop. My neighbor was welding in his shop about three years ago and had some gas cans on the other side of his building and the fumes crept through the garage as he was welding and ignited. He was burned very badly and died a few days later. Very bad deal. Keep the flammables and welding separated. Ken