• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Carpet color recommendation?

lmelmed

Completely stock 1976 candy apple red bronco sport model with original parchment white seats and door panels. Wood grant steering wheel.

Putting in new carpet and ordered black from toms, but now I am having second thoughts and am thinking about tan.

Any photos of red broncos with tan carpeting or preferences?

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm installing a tan interior but using black carpet and dash.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
It would have had parchment rubber from factory but base models had black rubber so black was a good choice because i would not want white carpet. lol

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Take a look at the dirt around where you live, then go with a color that is close.
Some have said tan would show dirt quicker than black, but where I live the dirt is closer to tan in color than it is to black.

White Knight

Contributor
Everyone has black-get a darker tan. Look at StockInteriors.com and check out the different tan options

No Hay

Bronco Guru
Yep, my '76 Candy Apple Red looks good with all black TBP interior and carpet, but I'm thinking of changing to tan or light brown. The black may hide grease and dark dirt better, but anything else on there shows up more.

fosgate150

carpet

I just finished installing the tan carpet in my 76 Bronco.

Attachments

• IMG_0217.jpg
    IMG_0217.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0214.jpg
    IMG_0214.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
L

lmelmed

Thanks for the recommendations.

Fosgate - it was your photo that is making me rethink black carpet. I think your work looks great.

We know how it all goes - I will wrestle with the decision and ultimately my wife will decide in 2 seconds.

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
Absent consideration for how you're using your vehicle, the carpet can really set off the interior. I currently have a full black mat but when I do carpet, I'll probably do tan. I think tan would look great with your set up but your seats will pop with tan or black.

fosgate150

Thanks for the recommendations.

Fosgate - it was your photo that is making me rethink black carpet. I think your work looks great.

We know how it all goes - I will wrestle with the decision and ultimately my wife will decide in 2 seconds.

Thanks for the kind comments...:)

Also just to add to it, all of my seats are parchment, so similar to your set-up.

Attachments

• IMG_0192.jpg
    IMG_0192.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
L

lmelmed

Hey Fosgate -

I see you installed wheel well carpet. Are you going to install rear interior panels? Mine is a sport so it does not have the interior panels, but I am interested in doing carpet on wheel wells to keep the noise down.

Last question: where did you get the hold down strips for the tail gate and did you also use glue? Mine does not have anything on the tailgate (I do have the original hold down strips for the doors and rear).

fosgate150

Hey Fosgate -

I see you installed wheel well carpet. Are you going to install rear interior panels? Mine is a sport so it does not have the interior panels, but I am interested in doing carpet on wheel wells to keep the noise down.

Last question: where did you get the hold down strips for the tail gate and did you also use glue? Mine does not have anything on the tailgate (I do have the original hold down strips for the doors and rear).

I am going to do some rear panels later this summer, I wont have time before Super Celebration.

I purchased the carpet hold down kit from Bronco graveyard, it had the tail gate pieces with it, I rounded the edges to give them a better look and clear coated them too. No glue, I did put a few pieces of 3M double sided tape in a few spots to hold down the wrinkles.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
I just finished installing the tan carpet in my 76 Bronco.

looks great man any lessons learned? I'll be doing the same this weekend, carpet and hold down kit (the nicer one) from Bronco Hut...black because my dash and door panels were already black when i bought it -Jeff

fosgate150

looks great man any lessons learned? I'll be doing the same this weekend, carpet and hold down kit (the nicer one) from Bronco Hut...black because my dash and door panels were already black when i bought it -Jeff

I used a heat gun on low and also a hair dryer to warm up the carpet. (The warmer the better.) The back wasn't too bad but the front area had to be trimmed a lot, as soon as the razor knife feels like it is dragging, swap to a new blade. I went through about 4 blades, a sharp blade is better than slipping with a dull one!! I wanted the hold down strips to lay flat on the front sides so I trimmed the jute padding back about the width of the strips. Test fit the strips so that no lose carpet is sticking out past them, trim as needed. And like I mentioned earlier, I didn't use glue, just double sided tape in a few spots, the summer heat will make it lay down a lot!

I put all the bolts in the floor (seats and belts) hand screwed those down low and it makes it easy to find the bolt head. I did a "X" cut over the bolt, and pushed the carpet over the head, and screwed the bolt up a little to better hold the spot in place, washers and seat brackets will keep it from fraying.

Good Luck...:)

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
I put all the bolts in the floor (seats and belts) hand screwed those down low and it makes it easy to find the bolt head. I did a "X" cut over the bolt, and pushed the carpet over the head, and screwed the bolt up a little to better hold the spot in place, washers and seat brackets will keep it from fraying.

Good Luck...:)

That's a good idea, I would not have done that but will now...by the way the 'nicer' hold down kit was no reference to yours, Bronco Hut has 2 different types (with a $200 price difference :eek:) thanks -Jeff