• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Restore or Build it the way I want??

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nice! Comin' along.
Remember not to try to install the Wrap-Trap until the body is on at least. Better still when all is said and done (other than exhaust) so that the suspension is settled down to ride height.
Or, if you prefer to get that started while the body is still off, then just ratche-strap the suspension down to it's expected ride height.
That would be 10.5" for the front, and 9.5" for the rear, as measured between the top of the axle tubes and the bottom of the frame rails.
Give or take about half an inch.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and when you do your final adjustments on the draglink to center the steering box (also at ride height of course) make sure to orient the tie-rod centerlink so that the point where the draglink mounts is rotated up to about 60°, or roughly pointing at the radiator.

Paul

OP
OP
1963hotrod

1963hotrod

Loc.
Oroville
Suspension

Oh, and when you do your final adjustments on the draglink to center the steering box (also at ride height of course) make sure to orient the tie-rod centerlink so that the point where the draglink mounts is rotated up to about 60°, or roughly pointing at the radiator.

Paul

Thanks Paul, Your help and advice on this site is a great resource. All of the products I have bought from Wild Horse's have been top notch. I am sure I will have lot's of questions going forward. I am lucky to have friends ,some own a paint shop and another who knows a lot about suspension. It's a community effort for sure. And my buddy Jim for the transmission and engine.

OP
OP
1963hotrod

1963hotrod

Loc.
Oroville
We will install engine and trans and then body before finishing the suspension. Have to weld the new spring perches, inboard shock mounts as well as the wrap trap with the driveline in. then the sway bars and suspension tuning.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good looking 69! Do what you want with it. I have a 69 Uncut Bronco as well.

Personally, I would not cut the fenders though....

OP
OP
1963hotrod

1963hotrod

Loc.
Oroville
Good looking 69! Do what you want with it. I have a 69 Uncut Bronco as well.

Personally, I would not cut the fenders though....

Thank you, it's a fun project. I am not going to cut it at this point. I will see how much tire I can fit in there. It's really went far beyond what I originally intended. I just went kind of crazy after looking at all of the other Bronco's on this site and elsewhere. Should be an awesome rig when finished.

KeithKinPhx

Love the progress. Looking good.

The great thing about Broncos is you can make them what you want. The Bronco crowd is not obsessed the staying factory original and your value does not plummet if your are not factory stock.

I say that but would never cut my rear quarters. I just like that 60's vibe. And for some reason I can't imagine mine without the bulkhead either....

But I am putting a 4R70W in mine (and AC, Leather seats, etc).

Make it your own and don't sweat what others think.

OP
OP
1963hotrod

1963hotrod

Loc.
Oroville
The seats are stock, repainted and freshly recovered in Parchment.

Attachments

• 657.jpg
    657.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 31

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey '63 what shop are you using for paint? Project is looking good, can't wait for a road test report!

OP
OP
1963hotrod

1963hotrod

Loc.
Oroville
Hey '63 what shop are you using for paint? Project is looking good, can't wait for a road test report!

It is at 5th ave body shop in Oroville. Great family run business and drag racing buddies. I can't wait for a road test, lots of work to get there. But we are making progress! Thanks

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Doing great! My '68 is at Doc's Auto Sound getting the final wiring done. I hope to get the interior back together in a couple of weeks and get it on the road.

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
half of me says do what you want. half of me says "DON'T CUT IT!!!" But, you can go back and make it "uncut" again. So, build what you want and enjoy the poop out of it!

OP
OP
1963hotrod

1963hotrod

Loc.
Oroville
Aha, Rod H? Cool! Mark

Yes, I am a Bronco fan too. Had one back in the 90's and loved it. This one will be much nicer. Exciting for you that it is that close to being on the road. I think I need two, a really nice one and another to bang around in. Too bad they are so expensive now. I am always looking though.

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, the one I'm finishing up now won't likely see a lot of off road. Did all the bodywork and paint myself and I'd be really bummed if I scraped it on a rock or tree. I have several carcasses that I can build into something I can bang around in but they are getting so valuable I may just restore them. If I live long enough.....! Seems that even with dedicating all my free time it takes at least 2 years to do a frame off resto. I don't have any horses or mules anymore so that frees up more time to do the bronco thing. Believe it or not, it's almost cheaper...!

OP
OP
1963hotrod

1963hotrod

Loc.
Oroville
I can believe it's cheaper, horse's and mules cost a lot of money to keep. I would rather have a herd of bronco's anyway.Lol. When I get mine done I will let you know and we can meet up. Always like looking at other EB's.
I think I know where a half cab has been sitting for 25 or 30 years in a barn. Going to see if I can drag it out of there.

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Cool! Maybe come by my shop out at Ranchero sometime. I'm usually out there on Wed for a few hours as well as Sat and Sun if we're in town. I hope you can drag that halfcab home.

KeithKinPhx

I think I know where a half cab has been sitting for 25 or 30 years in a barn. Going to see if I can drag it out of there.

Jealous.

Maybe when I get mine back on the road after restoration the Bronco God will guide me to my next project.