• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Restore or Build it the way I want??

1963hotrod

Loc.
Oroville
I have a Calif rust free and very original bronco. It is uncut with the original engine ,trans ect. I have it frame off right now with the body @ the paint shop. Most of the body work is done. I had them fill the holes for the tire carrier and reflectors. My plan was to go with a np435, 2" body lift and 2.5 suspension lift. I have a dana 44 with disc brakes. Was planning on adding PS and Hydroboost. With such an original bronco should I do these 'upgrades'? I think it is almost completely original, the exhaust, intake (2v) dash ,headliner mat, wiper cover was all there. Not in the best shape but was still there.The engine is standard with the original block and heads, rods , pistons. Pretty cool rig. What do you guy's think? I know what I want to do but should I?I have already bought the np 435,clutch, body lift, seat upholster kit, centech wiring harness, alum radiator and other parts.The pass fender and inner fender as well as the core support and grill have been replaced. The original hood was damaged too. Looks like a rancher had it and used it to push cows. Other than that it was super solid. Can't load pictures yet for some reason

Last edited:

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Sounds like its not nice enough to warrant keeping stock. U have already filled body holes so if it is an issue to you then dont do anything that is undoable. Engines, transmissions, rear-ends, t cases, can all be changed back if tou ever want it stock again. Just dont toss any of that stuff out. But the end result is make it yours and have fun with it

Nightstick

Bronco guy
My 74 was completely original when I bought it. Now, nothing on it is original, lol. I built it the way I wanted and have no regrets about doing it. I just picked up another one that's pretty much original, which I'll be upgrading. IMO unless it's in immaculate original condition and can go across the stage at Mecum, there's no point in leaving it that way. If you restore it in a way that wasn't your original intent I don't think you're going to be happy with it when it's done.

OP
OP
1963hotrod

1963hotrod

Loc.
Oroville
Thanks guy's, I think you are right. Just do it the way I want, that may mean cutting the rear fenders at some point. I will see after I add the body and susp lifts. I had a 71 years ago that I used for hunting and messing around. Daily driver for me then and I loved that thing. Was not power brakes or steering and still had the 3 speed. Those things are for sure being changed in this before I ever drive it. I guess I will proceed with my original master plan. Thanks for the input.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Pics, Pics.. :)

do it the way you want. it can Always go BACK to how it was, if you see fit to do that :)

AFLtCol

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I say do it the way you want. To post pics you need to become a member, a slight fee, that would give everyone the pleasure of seeing your eb!

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Unless your plan is to sell, build what YOU want. And if I might add, build it fast cause if you take 8 years you will change directions 3 times, or more. Don't ask me how I know.

OP
OP
1963hotrod

1963hotrod

Loc.
Oroville
I joined so now I can upload pictures.

Attachments

• 20150116_091624_1493053274036_resized.jpg
    20150116_091624_1493053274036_resized.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 269
  • 20150603_122404_resized_1.jpg
    20150603_122404_resized_1.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 262
  • 20150603_122414_resized_1.jpg
    20150603_122414_resized_1.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 302
  • 20150603_122428_resized (2).jpg
    20150603_122428_resized (2).jpg
    128 KB · Views: 280
  • 20170203_093133_resized.jpg
    20170203_093133_resized.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 280

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great looking rig! Is that a '69? Common color for that year, plus still has the reflectors, but a 302 instead of the 289.
What about the front turn signals? Later model large lens, or the early model recessed lens?

Thanks. I'm primarily for doing it your way too, but I do also like to leave a clean original still original. That said, my new-to-me '68 was cut, now it's not. And you'd never know.
View attachment 418912

Have fun with it.

Paul

OP
OP
1963hotrod

1963hotrod

Loc.
Oroville
Great looking rig! Is that a '69? Common color for that year, plus still has the reflectors, but a 302 instead of the 289.
What about the front turn signals? Later model large lens, or the early model recessed lens?

Thanks. I'm primarily for doing it your way too, but I do also like to leave a clean original still original. That said, my new-to-me '68 was cut, now it's not. And you'd never know.
View attachment 418912

Have fun with it.

Paul

Yes a 69, 302 and the larger lens. I don't like the reflectors and how they are in the back. What did they call the color? Is it candy apple red? It seems darker but I'm not sure. Thank you.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes a 69, 302 and the larger lens. I don't like the reflectors and how they are in the back.

You could add the later sidemarker lights in place of the reflectors. It's generally a '70 thing, but I've been saying I thought I saw more than one '69 with them.
Of course, the one I remember the most vividly was already a repainted '69 (this was in '76) so they could have been added.
You could look down in the corners of your engine compartment to see if Ford was already including the wiring in the harness for something they knew was coming up. If yours is a late enough built '69, you might just have the wiring and only need the parts.

What did they call the color? Is it candy apple red? It seems darker but I'm not sure. Thank you.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127793
See if it's in one of the pics in this thread. Could end up looking for days(!) but it's a fun read.
There are other threads (I'll try to find them for you) where there are actual color sheets with numbers and samples for each yet. Several threads in fact.

Paul

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Have you ever driven a new or like new Bronco? If I were you,I'd do a good restoration and see what it's like before changing things better left as Ford made it. The NP 435 (I think that's what you meant to say) is a heavy truck trans that's no fun to shift. The stock 3 speed is better. The NP435 does have a granny gear, I never found a use for in 100s of thousands of miles driving with one. A lot of the most common modifications aren't needed or even desirable.

OP
OP
1963hotrod

1963hotrod

Loc.
Oroville
Man if that was original paint you shoulda left it as is...

I had to replace the pass side fender, grill and hood. The old rancher either hit something or used that side to push on things. Otherwise it was very original. I had a 71 sport the same color. It was nice not having to worry about the paint.

OP
OP
1963hotrod

1963hotrod

Loc.
Oroville
Have you ever driven a new or like new Bronco? If I were you,I'd do a good restoration and see what it's like before changing things better left as Ford made it. The NP 435 (I think that's what you meant to say) is a heavy truck trans that's no fun to shift. The stock 3 speed is better. The NP435 does have a granny gear, I never found a use for in 100s of thousands of miles driving with one. A lot of the most common modifications aren't needed or even desirable.

I have not drove a new or like new bronco. I had a 71 that I loved but it drove like a tank. 33's with manual steering and drum brakes. It didn't want to turn or stop and the 3 speed just left me wanting a lower gear. I have been kicking around using a C4 automatic instead. I have the adapter and a good core that I could use. I put and sm 420 into a cj5 and it was awesome.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
My first was a new '74 with a C4 and power steering. My biggest complaint was the less than spectacular stopping power. My '77 has the PDB leaving me little more than a lack of low end torque to cure. You will likely want these improvements too. Otherwise, these were great trucks as new. I did make the OE radio an AM/FM but it still looks original. Driving a manual NP435 all day for at least 18 yrs. was a PITA and a pain in the left knee too.

OP
OP
1963hotrod

1963hotrod

Loc.
Oroville
The rolling frame got sand blasted today. Received my power steering conversion from Summit today as well as the por15 kit. Tomorrow the parts for the dana 44 will be here and I can get that back together. I am excited to do this build. I picked the color out today, going back to the color it came with.The body shop is ready to roll so I need to get busy!

Godwick

Loc.
Santa Barbara, CA
Sweet. Keep us posted. I'd do what you want with it. I love stockers, but think you gotta have some fun with it if you haven't before. Broncos are the best. Oh, I put an nv3550 in mine and it goes lower than I need. Just something to think about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk