• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

trying to keep my 68's value and history.

Woodm

Loc.
Lutz
I have been trying to keep my 68 all original. I'm only the second owner of this vehicle. I need to redo the brake system. I would like to ask some of the sages on this site if I replace the brake system with all disc would that hurt the value and would the change take away from the original nature of the truck. Did they ever have disc brakes in the 68 bronco.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Disc brakes were never a option on a 68. They didn't become available until late 75 and standard on 76 up broncos. As to hurting its value well its debateable. On one hand if your want something all original then it could hurt. But in the case of disc brakes at least front disc the conversion is easily reversed so you could just keep the drum brake parts for originality. But overall Id say converting to front disc is a great upgrade especially if you drive it. definite safety upgrade and usually wont hurt value a bit. I wouldn't do rear discs as some setups are not easily reversible and there is little to gain from rear discs.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I've converted every Bronco I've owned to disc brakes except for one. I purchased my '67 from the original owner who made a few minor changes over the years, but never converted it from drums. He had the brakes redone several times, but always kept the drums. I can't seem to bring myself to make the swap. I only drive it a couple of times a year and am quite cautious when I do. I suspect I'll never make the change since I'm trying to preserve it as the original owner had it upon selling it to me. My $0.02.

KeithKinPhx

I have a 68 also. 3rd owner 87k. Value should not be hurt by disc brakes unless you have a concourse restoration all original thing going. Been there and done that with a 56 Thunderbird.

Getting in a wreck with stock drums will lower your value more.

You can always save your stock parts and put them on at sale time.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Upgrade like that won't hurt your value.. Be a little more appeasing to someone if you were selling

OP
OP
Woodm

Woodm

Loc.
Lutz
Thank you very much for your responses. I think I like the suggestion of just doing the front disc brakes and leaving the drums on back. I noticed all the bronco supplier's seem to carry a conversion kit but they seem to include different items. Also one says some modification needed and some said to change master cylinder. Is it OK to ask which product you recommend as your favorite. any help would be appreciated Thank you in advance.